Dodgy wrist hinge in backswing. (hook/overdraw/push)

DanFST

Head Pro
Visit site
Hello all.

Womdering if anyone could offer me some advice on a drill to use on the range.

For some reason i've started to hinge my wrists and drop my hands at the top of the backswing. So that the club is too far behind the plane. (hopefully that makes sense!). It results in me really swinging some dodgy angles at impact. Which leads to an overdraw, hook, or pushing it right most of the time.

This is something I implemented to get used to my new irons and there dramatically lighter swing weight. And forcing myself to drop the club, however it's got too much now and it's ruining my enjoyment!

Any drills that anyone could recommend?

DanFST

Head Pro
Visit site
Do you know if your grip is ok.....it could be the cause if it's not right

My grip is on the strong side, but I never thought it was too destructive. I'm about to go to the range, so will borrow the club with the Leadbitter training grip on it and report back!

the_coach

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
hard to say without seeing what's going on what the exact cause/s is, sounds like its definitely swing path related - (hinge or set possibly you are 'rolling over', hands working initially out away from body so the hands then roll over rather than the left hand/wrist hinging/setting upwards in the right condition, is the hold of the handle being too strong encouraging a 'roll' going back, which then means there has to be some kind of 'roll' into impact to try to square face angle, if so there would be a deal of club face rotation into impact which would lead to a bunch of miss contacts.
but swing path sounds like it's too shallow & coming from behind you too much in to out, swing direction through impact out to right field.

when you at the range next with 8,7, or 6i put an upturned basket down square to target line then place the ball 2" off the right hand corner facing you, you'll then have to swing more in front of your body towards target, swing on your old path in to out path & you'll total the range basket. could place a folded bag towel or old head cover down instead.

Last edited:

DanFST

Head Pro
Visit site
Dont know what that means

Cold hands and a tiny iPhone don't work whilst on the range!

Duffing* Had the training grip club, and my grip is fine, if a tad strong. Was still overdrawing, and pushing. Was shape the ball much better when I made a real conscious effort to cock my wrists upward at the top of the swing. However concentrating on that so much had the result of strike not being great.

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Ignore what I say in favour of what bob says, but...

How far right are the pushes going (assuming a mid iron)?
Where does the toe of the club point when the club is parallel to the ground on the way back?