Dodging the lightning

Hacker Khan

Yurt Dwelling, Yoghurt Knitter
Visit site
Was playing a quick solo round yesterday and happened to be playing well (for me). Teed off on the 16th and it was sunny, then hit a worldy second shot for me, 169 yards to 7 feet. Noticed it going a bit grey. Of course I missed the birdie put, then teed off on the 17th, blind up hill 180 yard par 4 over trees. Again hit what looked like a good shot but then heard a big crash of thunder. Looked up and it was like the rapidly approaching clouds were alight, there was lightning going off every few seconds.

So at that stage I did a quick calculation of whether it was worth finishing as I was on for a decent score, but risk being stood on the highest part of the course with metal rods in my hand. Or not. So I decided to get the hell off the course tout suite, sprinted and slipped up the very wet hill on the 17th (and I did glance at the green but could not see my ball, you never know, it could have been in the hole!) pushing a trolley and then pegged it down the par 5 18th, catching up a couple of old blokes trying to do the same. Just got to my car as it started really hailing. Got about 500 yards from the course and was at a crossroads with traffic lights when suddenly there was a very bright flash, shop alarms started going off and the traffic lights went out, so it must have grounded very close.

Then went another couple of miles to my house and the lane I live down was blocked as the lighting had hit a tree which had brought half of it crashing down, you could still smell the scorch marks on the tree.

Very scary, felt for a few 4 balls that were a few holes behind me who had let me through during the round.

Green Bay Hacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Was playing a quick solo round yesterday and happened to be playing well (for me). Teed off on the 16th and it was sunny, then hit a worldy second shot for me, 169 yards to 7 feet. Noticed it going a bit grey. Of course I missed the birdie put, then teed off on the 17th, blind up hill 180 yard par 4 over trees. Again hit what looked like a good shot but then heard a big crash of thunder. Looked up and it was like the rapidly approaching clouds were alight, there was lightning going off every few seconds.

So at that stage I did a quick calculation of whether it was worth finishing as I was on for a decent score, but risk being stood on the highest part of the course with metal rods in my hand. Or not. So I decided to get the hell off the course tout suite, sprinted and slipped up the very wet hill on the 17th (and I did glance at the green but could not see my ball, you never know, it could have been in the hole!) pushing a trolley and then pegged it down the par 5 18th, catching up a couple of old blokes trying to do the same. Just got to my car as it started really hailing. Got about 500 yards from the course and was at a crossroads with traffic lights when suddenly there was a very bright flash, shop alarms started going off and the traffic lights went out, so it must have grounded very close.

Then went another couple of miles to my house and the lane I live down was blocked as the lighting had hit a tree which had brought half of it crashing down, you could still smell the scorch marks on the tree.

Very scary, felt for a few 4 balls that were a few holes behind me who had let me through during the round.

Posted a similar story on the thread about the current state of golf courses. It a very scary experience especially as a nearby pylon was struck and Portal Hotel, where we were staying, had to close down for the night as it had no power.

stevelev

Journeyman Pro
www.ecclestonparkgolf.co.uk
Gk

Then went another couple of miles to my house and the lane I live down was blocked as the lighting had hit a tree which had brought half of it crashing down, you could still smell the scorch marks in my pants when I got home

Chnaged to improve dramatic effect

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I played a cricket match in Isleworth years back. It hit the sports ground next door killing a player. It was cloudy but there hadn't been any rumbles and this was the first flash anyone and it just grounded. No chance to do anything. I know my mate Paul Stewart got hit on a golf course but survived to tell the tale (you wait til I catch up with God on a few years time!)