Do you wear a glove ?

Bamberdele21

Visit site
Haven’t wore one for a long time because I felt I had a better feel for the club without one.

Now I’ve changed a few things I’m starting to get friction at the bottom right of my left palm which is causing slight discomfort.

Is this normal and the reason why most right handed golfers wear gloves on their left hand?

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I wear two in winter.
If you're getting discomfort are you gripping tightly?
I've heard this is the most common reason for discomfort but it may not apply to you.

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
I wear a glove, but take it off for putting because I think that gives better feel.
But I suspect it's just habit and with modern grips a glove isn't needed (unless it's wet).
An old boy told me that gloves were really only needed in the old days of wound leather grips.
But if I try and hit a full shot without a glove it feels weird.
It would be nice to play without one - maybe I'll make a concerted effort to change.

Sand Trapped

Visit site
Likewise - wear it until around 20-30 yards out. Would emphasise the ''tight grip'' comment above. Most golfers have too tight a grip - loosen up a little and the glove will last longer.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I wear a glove, but take it off for putting because I think that gives better feel.
But I suspect it's just habit and with modern grips a glove isn't needed (unless it's wet).
An old boy told me that gloves were really only needed in the old days of wound leather grips.
But if I try and hit a full shot without a glove it feels weird.
It would be nice to play without one - maybe I'll make a concerted effort to change.
Agree with this. I wear one because I started that way and got used to it. Originally for grip, but probably not needed anymore. However I have a strong grip so I think if I didn't use a glove I would get more callouses on the left hand, on the pads below the fingers. I take mine off for chipping and putting since you certainly don't need a glove for those shots (lighter grip since you don't lift the club very high), extra feel, plus it helps focus the mind for me.

sweaty sock

Hacker
Visit site
Haven’t wore one for a long time because I felt I had a better feel for the club without one.

Now I’ve changed a few things I’m starting to get friction at the bottom right of my left palm which is causing slight discomfort.

Is this normal and the reason why most right handed golfers wear gloves on their left hand?

Dont start if your not wearing one now. They are an unnecessary expense and inconvenience.

The pain in your palm is most likely because youre just getting back into golf, it'll probably go away after a few days.

Less likely it could be that you open the fingers slightly on your left hand at the top of your backswing, allowing the grip to slide over your palm, pretty common especially with people who play racket sports to a decent level...

phillarrow

Visit site
I read somewhere that the reasons golfers wear one glove - on their top hand - is to compensate for this being their weaker arm. I don't know if that is true but it made some sense to me. I wear a glove on my left hand because that's what everyone else did when I started, so I copied them. I also have clammy hands and the glove helps with this.

However...I am left handed but play right handed! I've recently worn two gloves in winter and it seems to have helped so I'm planning on having a go at wearing two gloves at times this summer.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
I wear one as I've soft workshy hands, if I didn't I get blisters and sore patches.

When I first played hickorys I didn't wear one as no one else did, cue blisters on my left hand from the suede grips.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Mine goes on by the 1st tee and comes off after the 18th green.
It's time everyone who takes theirs off after every shot, or takes it off to chip and putt and folds it nearly to out in their back pocket with the fingers hanging out admits to themselves that they're just copying the Pros...you know you are...go on..admit it..

phillarrow

Visit site
It's time everyone who takes theirs off after every shot, or takes it off to chip and putt and folds it nearly to out in their back pocket with the fingers hanging out admits to themselves that they're just copying the Pros...you know you are...go on..admit it..

Yep! ;):oops:

HeftyHacker

Visit site
I wear one mainly because I get quite clammy hands so need all the help I can get gripping the club.

It goes on at the first tee and comes off on the last green.

In summer if I'm particularly hot I might take it off and wrap it around my trolley handle to air out between shots.

I've been wearing a footjoy rainglove in all weathers since May and find it far better than a normal glove - less hot and sweaty and just as grippy. Plus a single glove has lasted me yonks so I've saved a fortune!

D

Deleted member 23270

No......the pros copy me ?

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
I wear one for the whole round in the autumn, winter and spring but do try and take it off in the summer as I always get "golfers tan" - one brown and one white hand !

Bamberdele21

Visit site
I thought you've only been playing for a year or so? ?

9 months is a long time to me. Started playing with 1 for two months as it’s what everyone else was doing but realised it was a load of bolloks.

Until this week where I’ve hit roughly 600 balls since Saturday and it’s beginning to cause a slight bit of discomfort.

Might just be burning it out