Do You Use a Driving Iron

slowhand

Head Pro
Visit site
So played today, in what was quite a strong wind. Driver behaved itself for the most part, except when I tried to hit it lower into the wind. I do what is recommended, lower tee, slightly further back in the stance, and swing easy, it just ended up as a high slice. It got me thinking, would I be better off with some kind of driving iron? Perhaps to replace my 3 wood, which I can’t hit off the fairway anyway, or one of my hybrids. I’m off 22, so would want something quite forgiving, if possible. Would like Titleist if possible to fit in with my current irons.
What do you guys use into the wind?

slowhand

Head Pro
Visit site
Things have moved on.

Now we know that teeing a ball down and putting it back in the stance will result in a shed load more backspin, resulting in shorter distance into the wind.

A driver will still hit the ball furthest, a driving iron is very very unlikely to be the right choice for a 22 handicap to be honest.
That’s very useful information. Thank you.
So I should just tee it up as normal and make my normal swing, and just accept that the ball is going to stall in the air and go nowhere near as far as normal?

D

Deleted member 1147

Just bought myself a Ping 2 iron.

Went beautifully today, low and not too much spin, so went well into the wind. For use when driver goes too far.
I have it in conjunction with my 4 wood.

With driver you need to tee it up and hit it normally, they are low spin and as such work pretty well into the wind when used normally.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Whilst driving irons have moved on they still are mighty tricky to nail. If you are a clean striker of irons then give one a whirl. If not then they are a tough ask. You need to be honest with yourself about that question.

Best advice I was given in strong winds was to swing slower. Don't fight the wind, swing gently. Hard to do but surprisingly effective.

Sats

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Got a Cobra King Utility can crank it from 20º - 24º normally set it at 21º and in the wind I put the ball about a ball back in my stance and swing smooth - Not slowly - slow is for oaps in nissan micras.

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
If the set I'm playing has a 2 iron then I'll hit it, usually from the tee but occasionally from the fairway.
I have a couple of 1 irons as well but they are strictly tee only.

(Not sure if it affects my shots but I'm currently driving a Nissan Micra)

Mandofred

Visit site
I tried the Srixon driving iron (nothing against Srixon) a couple of years ago. I got a slightly lower flight than my long hybrid, but on fairly equal quality shots the hybrid was going further so I fairly quickly sold the iron. In my younger days it would have been a great club, I think I just swing too slow these days.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Things have moved on.

Now we know that teeing a ball down and putting it back in the stance will result in a shed load more backspin, resulting in shorter distance into the wind.

A driver will still hit the ball furthest, a driving iron is very very unlikely to be the right choice for a 22 handicap to be honest.
this......

apj0524

Head Pro
Visit site
I do not have a great amount of swing speed and have tried various Driving Irons just because I want one, then I tried a 17 degree hybrid and the results was I decided ego doesn't get the ball in the hole, never looked back, I just consider it to be a hybrid looking 2 iron :D

brendy

Global Moderator
Visit site
If you can find one, a callaway X-12 or x-14 1 iron, I bought one a few years back and its been in the bag ever since. I find that it is such a versatile club, flat out and even chip recovery shots out from under low hanging trees etc, its much easier to hit than a blade type iron.

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I put a 2 iron in the bag a few weeks ago and it’s great to have the option, but it’s not a silver bullet and you still need to play a punch shot to keep it low into the wind.

My guess is when you tee your driver low you hit it Low out of the heel, which causes a slice. Tee it normal height and as said above swing easy, concentrate on striking the ball in the middle of the club face and you might find your ball flight is plenty strong enough into wind. A new shiney 2 iron is not the answer

But if you want one. Buy it. They’re gorgeous. You know you want to.

Dan2501

Tour Winner
Visit site
I have a Mizuno 2 iron and love it. Don't find it crazy difficult to hit and nothing quite like ripping one down the middle, ball flight is so nice.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I suspect you need to be a pretty good ball striking to use one successfully. I toyed with finding a forgiving driving iron - but truthfully I can't even hit my 6 iron well, it was always going to be a struggle. Ended up getting a TM GAPR Hi but couldn't really get on with it out on the course - and that's not even a proper driving iron, it's halfway between a DI and a hybrid really.

I don't think a driving iron is going to go further into the wind than a driver, unless you happen to be Gary Woodland.

D

Deleted member 1147

I suspect you need to be a pretty good ball striking to use one successfully. I toyed with finding a forgiving driving iron - but truthfully I can't even hit my 6 iron well, it was always going to be a struggle. Ended up getting a TM GAPR Hi but couldn't really get on with it out on the course - and that's not even a proper driving iron, it's halfway between a DI and a hybrid really.

I don't think a driving iron is going to go further into the wind than a driver, unless you happen to be Gary Woodland.
You need good club head speed in order to get any height, and, as the shaft is a fair bit longer and with less loft than the other irons in the bag, it is more difficult .

robinthehood

Hacker
Visit site

I find standing at a slight angle helps in the wind.