Do you get bored of looking for golf balls?

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Look on it another way. You decide to stop looking for his ball on, say, the 14th hole and the same on 15/16. On 18, you have a good score going and you carve your ball into the jungle. Do you then expect him to help you look for your ball?

If I was having a bad day and you did the same to me, you’d be looking for your ball on 18 by yourself. You will also have bad days too, and that’s when you find out who the real golfers are.

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
One of your fourball has hit his ball into the :poop: for the umpteenth time with no hope of finding it, but you trudge over none the less.. Does it get on your nerves after a while or do you keep helping regardless....

Yes I know exactly what you mean.
Initially I will help and will keep helping if they are in with a chance or have a good score going.
Umpteenth time as you say,with no hope of finding it,definitely not.
No chance of getting in the prizes or over 30 points,definitely not.
Yes it’s boring and tedious,and to be honest most golfers by this time say “move on” very quickly.

howbow88

Hacker
Visit site
Its just something you have to do, so I wouldnt look at it like that.
Despite having more balls than I need, if its in a freebe find rich zone, I enjoy it even. The chance of finding a nice clean Slazenger or something keeps the eyes keen,
I remember looking in the trees for someone's ball once and he picked up a ball he found, and chucked it away. He saw me looking and then said 'I bloody hate those ProV1s.'

Such an old man joke but it proper made me laugh.

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I remember looking in the trees for someone's ball once and he picked up a ball he found, and chucked it away. He saw me looking and then said 'I bloody hate those ProV1s.'

Such an old man joke but it proper made me laugh.
Left dash players just wont play anything else.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I would never refuse to help look for someone's ball. I'm sure I've been guilty of a very half-arsed look before though, when my mind wanders. Also if my ball was on the complete opposite side of the hole and somebody else was already helping them I may not bother walking over. Makes sense for me to take my shot instead.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
I play with a bloke who never knows where his ball went, so we're always finding it for him. It gets a bit trying when he's ambling down the middle talking and walks 50 yards past where his ball is
There's a guy that's joined nairn recently, young guy hits it miles, only has sight in one eye and has no idea where his ball is going. It's not easy to follow even with both eyes he hits it so high. Nice enough guy but a nightmare to be drawn with.

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
Yep, but we’ve all been there at some point, but you will be on the clock. If I’m having one of those days I’ll tell others not to bother helping me.

That said, if my ball is completely the other side of the fairway, you’re on your own unless you are having storming round.

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
Ill always look - but I will always locate my ball first.

If im on the fairway ill head straight over - but Ive lost balls in the past due to looking for others balls for so long and misplacing where my original shot went!

Jaco

Medal Winner
Visit site
One of your fourball has hit his ball into the :poop: for the umpteenth time with no hope of finding it, but you trudge over none the less.. Does it get on your nerves after a while or do you keep helping regardless....

I have the least patience. Sometimes I don’t even bother walking in if I think it looks too dense. For me a minute is ample time to search. I actually prefer helping my playing partner look for their ball, than searching for my own.
It may be linked to the fact that I love getting new balls delivered. Truvis with shamrock design next for me.

Last edited:

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
I recall my last trip to Portugal on a tour with a group of mates when, on the last day, I didn’t have a great round. I’d had three or four trips into the cabbage on the back nine and on each occasion I searched on my own. My three playing partners just carried on playing the holes. To say I was fuming is an understatement.

The final nail in the coffin was on the 17th that day, a par 3, when my three playing partners had hit the green and I was a few yards long and left. I got to my ball, pulled my lob wedge from my bag, and turned to see the flag already out and my playing partners putting out.

That annual trip started as a great tour, with semi serious golf for a few quid mixed in with great food, good company and much banter. One or two changes in attendees totally changed the dynamic, resulting in the golf being the be-all and end-all, everything becoming ultra competitive to the point of repeated poor etiquette. We were all decent players - all single figures with no slouches amongst us - and the etiquette that day was so appalling I haven’t been on the trip since, despite repeated invitations.

All of which brings me to answer the original question. Whilst it may become tiresome repeatedly looking for a playing partner’s ball, I would never let it show, and I certainly wouldn’t let it prevent me doing my bit to help find it. Anything less just flies in the face of the values of this game which are the most important.