Do you get bored of looking for golf balls?

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I am a big advocate of Ready Golf which means you go to your ball and play your shot before helping the other to find there's. Hopefully that is quite a bit of the 3 minutes used up:LOL:

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
I don't get bored, maybe a bit annoyed if its happening to someone on every hole (even more annoying if its my ball) but its not boring. Better to search as intensely as possible, the quicker its found the quicker we can get back to playing golf

Jaco

Medal Winner
Visit site
I recall my last trip to Portugal on a tour with a group of mates when, on the last day, I didn’t have a great round. I’d had three or four trips into the cabbage on the back nine and on each occasion I searched on my own. My three playing partners just carried on playing the holes. To say I was fuming is an understatement.

The final nail in the coffin was on the 17th that day, a par 3, when my three playing partners had hit the green and I was a few yards long and left. I got to my ball, pulled my lob wedge from my bag, and turned to see the flag already out and my playing partners putting out.

That annual trip started as a great tour, with semi serious golf for a few quid mixed in with great food, good company and much banter. One or two changes in attendees totally changed the dynamic, resulting in the golf being the be-all and end-all, everything becoming ultra competitive to the point of repeated poor etiquette. We were all decent players - all single figures with no slouches amongst us - and the etiquette that day was so appalling I haven’t been on the trip since, despite repeated invitations.

All of which brings me to answer the original question. Whilst it may become tiresome repeatedly looking for a playing partner’s ball, I would never let it show, and I certainly wouldn’t let it prevent me doing my bit to help find it. Anything less just flies in the face of the values of this game which are the most important.

That is almost a re-enactment of what happened to me and two very good mates, only in Marbella rather than Portugal. Playing Los Naranjos (we're mid to high h'cap though) and I hit a ball over a bank that went out of sight but I had thought they would see where it had gone as they were on the other side. They however were already on the green and I didn't find my ball. We fell out a bit over etiquette and it spoiled the day. To the point where our next trip abroad didn't take in golf, which was a shame.