Do you film your swing?

KhalJimbo

Head Pro
Visit site
I've just popped down to my local PC World to get a camera mount for my iPhone so I can start recording my swing on the range as I'm not swinging as fast as I'd like (also getting a driving lesson soon to improve on this too).

I saw this Hudl Technique Golf App which seems to get some good reviews for working on your swing and wanted to see if anyone here has any experience with it, and also if anyone here records their swings and if you find it helpful or not?

Alex1975

Tour Winner
Visit site
For some yes. Be very sure your filing from where you think you are. If its down the line make sure its behind the ball or behind you correctly or it will show you something that may not be factual. If its face on be 100% face on and so on.

ShankyBoy

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Yep, I use it and think Hudl is great. It shows clearly what you are doing in slow motion and you can measure angles etc, draw lines everywhere.

I could never understand why I had such inconsistent contact off the tee, but when doing a face on/side on, my left knee collapses right in, as I move to the right too much, then when coming down and the foot lands down, I almost stand up and move forward, ugly. Also, showed I was swinging on a flat plane etc, its a great tool I think.

Piece

Tour Winner
Visit site
I've just popped down to my local PC World to get a camera mount for my iPhone so I can start recording my swing on the range as I'm not swinging as fast as I'd like (also getting a driving lesson soon to improve on this too).

I saw this Hudl Technique Golf App which seems to get some good reviews for working on your swing and wanted to see if anyone here has any experience with it, and also if anyone here records their swings and if you find it helpful or not?

Essential for learning IMHO. Pro records a good swing you make and then you've a reference point for when your Pro is not around.

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site
I use HUDL largely (i think its now on its 3rd name) and they are huge - its used by most Colleges in America for their football & basketball teams, so yeah its very good. another one i see a lot of coaches using is V1 golf

I think Filming is a great idea, i've been working hard on taking the club away more outside the hands rather than wipping the club inside. Filming is essential to check i am actually doing that!

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I do it, Hudl as per others. My son has it on his iphone and we take it in turns to film each other, sometimes side on, mainly from behind. The first time I was distraught as I saw how ugly my swing is. Now I just get on with it. A great way of checking what is good and bad about your swing. For instance I need to shorten my swing and filming confirms whether I am actually doing it or whether I just think I am doing it. Highly recommended.

KhalJimbo

Head Pro
Visit site
Excellent, sounds like a good app then, I also plan on filming myself on the putting green as I feel like my hips are moving too much so will be good to see that too. Will give this Hudl one a go on the range with my Driver and see what my swing looks like.

Another reason I need to do it is I was told my fairway wood swing in too steep and I need to work on a more lateral sweeping swing so want to see the differences and what I need to work on.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

I use this, very cheap, very strong and very very versatile

http://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/121518664892

Use that with the techniques app that you mentioned

KhalJimbo

Head Pro
Visit site
Hips moving in your putting stroke, don't need an app to tell you that's not ideal! ;)

I think its very subtle, so just want to see if its happening or not. No one I've played with has said anything but I think more than just my shoulders are moving.

Crawfy

Tour Rookie
Visit site
As she loves taking photos (and seems to frame them very well) I asked my 6yr old daughter (yes..six) to film me at the range. Hilarious results. She thinks she delivered visual masterpieces, whereas you only got a 5secs video of her thumb and the roof of the range with my voiceover of "Abigail, did you get that ?"

jamielaing

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I went out for 9 holes with the pro at my club for a social knock about. He videoed me hitting a drive and, while I thought my backswing was close to textbook, it is all over the shop. I break my wrists almost instantly.

Great idea to get a video to help you pick up on these things.

jdpjamesp

Q-School Graduate
www.jdpalmer.co.uk

Had a couple of lessons where the pro filmed me on his phone. Made it really clear where I was messing up. As a result I've suggested the range buys phone mounts to go behind every booth - an idea they really liked and are looking into.

jak kez 187

Head Pro
Visit site
Find the app really useful. Lately I've been hitting really well at the range and absolutely horrific on the course. Got some videos at the range last Tuesday and then got some on the course on the Thursday and the difference in swing was ridiculous, looked like I'd never picked a club up in my life on the course videos. At least I can now see where I'm going wrong on the course though so I can correct it...or attempt to...

Also a tip for anyone with an iPhone that records in slow motion (5s and newer) and uses the Hudl app. Record your swing in the slow motion setting on your iPhone camera, then import it to Hudl instead of recording directly with Hudl. Makes the video a lot smoother to watch and scroll through on Hudl instead of it looking like a series of still photos.

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I use this, very cheap, very strong and very very versatile

http://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/121518664892

Use that with the techniques app that you mentioned

yeah I got one of these as well. Really good.

I use hudl too and it's the best app. The drawing lines WAS a pain but they have improved it now by being able to move the lines where you want. The lining up behind or in front is easy with the ghost outline of a player and club so you can line your phone up properly and use your alignment rods as well.

Its great to send on to your pro or mates (if they use hudl) for him to look at and send back notes or voice overs to you.

As im always looking to improve my swing I'm always taking film to keep a check on the bad points that creep in. I will Hit a number shots on video and will give a thumbs up or say if I think that was a good swing/strike, so when you come to clip the video to keep you know which was the best.

SteveJay

Head Pro
Visit site
Another vote here for filming. Got SWMBO to use my iPhone 6 a few months ago over a few practice holes one evening as I had never seen a video of my swing before. Was a real eye opener and allowed my to identify a few faults then go online and find some drills to resolve it.

Pleased to say my temporary tendency to hook off the tee has now been resolved.

shewy

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
last time I had my swing filmed all it showed me was how much weight I have to lose!
Seriously though it's a good idea, I'm getting a tripod stand for the ipad to film my Jim Venetos swing and see how it looks.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I prefer to let the pro film me and discuss the problems in a lesson than for me to look at it and look for things that may not be there or try changing something that isn't the root cause of the problem

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
I've used hudl too, the slow-mo feature is great

Made me realise what a prat I look with that horrendous swing but then I think if Adam Sandler can make a hit movie out of it then I might just be able to shoot 36 points now and again