Do you change your balls!!

Big85

Visit site
Do you change your balls for the winter? If so what do you normally play and what do you now play?

And the reasons why?

Read a lot lately about people changing their premium balls for the winter.

Albo

Visit site
I have done this year yes.
Play VICE pro balls usually and have switched to VICE drive balls.
The reason for that is simply the wetness of the ground and greens means I don’t need the spin from a 3 piece ball as it pretty much stops on impact anyway, the colder air makes the ball fly less so a more distance ball helps there and the cost is much less so when they get lost under leaves or plug in wet rough it’s less clostly

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
I have done this year yes.
Play VICE pro balls usually and have switched to VICE drive balls.
The reason for that is simply the wetness of the ground and greens means I don’t need the spin from a 3 piece ball as it pretty much stops on impact anyway, the colder air makes the ball fly less so a more distance ball helps there and the cost is much less so when they get lost under leaves or plug in wet rough it’s less clostly

I've just done exactly the same. Vice Drive are between £1.49 & £1.19, depending on how many you buy & are perfectly OK for the winter.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I often change balls in winter to ones that tend to roll more on pitches and putts.

Back when I played Bridgestone I used B330RXS when the greens were faster and B330RX when they were slower.

I still to stick to a 3 (or more) piece urethane ball because of the all round performance.

Mandofred

Visit site
I've bought 4 boxes of Supersofts recently. They are a good decent ball....not balls that high spinners would used, but I'm not a high spinner. I think I paid around £17 a box since I bought a few. They are supposed to keep some spin off the ball, so not a good ball if you like to move the ball left or right....although I seem to be able to do easy draws/fades anyway so:unsure:. I was using Bridgestone RX for most of this last summer. I still think 90+% of golfers don't get much if any benefit from an expensive ball.....but it's your money so you can do what you want with it.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
I've been doing this for a few years now. I switch from a premium ball to a low compression soft ball. I live in the North 9f Scotland and using a premium ball for me over winter I lose distance, due to cold and air pressure. We went on mats last week for all shots except the rough, so spin isn't an issue any longer, even a rock tends to stop on a soft green from a mat.
I got a load of the mizuno rd566 last year which were cheap, only downside is they do scuff easily, esp after a few shots off a mat.
Srixon qstar tour
Srixon soft feel
Callaway supersoft
There's also a Wilson balls that's soft but I can't remember what it's called. I can also get away with all these balls with hickory clubs which I use a bit over winter.

TigerBear

Visit site
Yes like many have said above, during winter I have no need for a high spinning ball. Was playing the TM TP5x in summer there.

Balls will plug on the wet, damp greens, also look to play a lower compression ball, so Titleist tour soft, srixon soft feel, Wilson duo soft. Whatever is on offer.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
My course can stay close to Summer conditions all year - as long as we don't get a month's rain in a week - so I tend to stick to the Tour balls
But when it gets like it is now, pretty soft greens and less run, ill swap to a Chromesoft or AVX or similar...

TigerBear

Visit site
My course can stay close to Summer conditions all year - as long as we don't get a month's rain in a week - so I tend to stick to the Tour balls
But when it gets like it is now, pretty soft greens and less run, ill swap to a Chromesoft or AVX or similar...

That's brilliant. Where do you play out of interest?

I take it no winter mats, etc.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
That's brilliant. Where do you play out of interest?

I take it no winter mats, etc.
Ellesborough in Bucks..it's on the side of a chalk hill so drains very well
It's been a bit sticky this week as we've had constant rain but normally its a similar course all year round.
No mats....a couple of par 3 tee mats though...

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Good point about mats, spin is insane off them.
I usually use the same balls except go to yellow for the winter.
Need to investigate a low spinning ball that's a bit cheaper for winter.

timd77

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I do yeh (although only been playing seriously for 3 years). I’m currently getting through the last few titleist tour soft in white, find white easier to see amongst the yellow, brown and orange leaves! I’ve asked Santa for some orange supersofts, hopefully the leaves will have buggered off by then. I find that I can see the orange ball much more clearly against the winter sky/low sun.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I like the same ball through the season however in the winter I’ll use the decent pick ups that have been saved over the summer. As long as it isn’t a rock.

Carry is inconsistent, winds are gusty, greens roll inconsistent so not need to worry about ball brand (for me anyway)