Do umbrellas work well on a trolley or do they end up being a pain?

AdamW

Visit site
Just wondering if it is worth spending money on a decent golf umbrella to put on a push trolley? Or does very little wind just end up tipping the trolley over all the time?

Keep getting unlucky with the British weather and getting a good old soaking half way through the round.

Slowly making some investments got a waterproof bag on the way, need gloves next and jacket

timd77

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I’ve not had problems with mine tipping over in the wind. It’s a lifesaver sometimes, I hate the rain and so knowing I can play a shot and get back undercover keeps me going through the bad months!

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
A pain ...

I only use the umbrella holder on the trolley as somewhere to put the brolley when playing a shot. And rarely that these days. Get a decent jacket and a hat!!
This for me as well.
I find being tall I am crouching under it and it starts hurting my neck.
A really good waterproof wide brim hat is better.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
It depends how solid the umbrella holder is. I always use mine though. It's a touch wobbly because I haven't invested in the better holder, but I'd still rather have it up that get drenched.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Pain for me. I find I am too tall for it on the trolley and so trundle down the fairway crouching over. I tend to only put an umbrella up in heavy and persistent rain to keep a towel under it. Usually just stick waterproofs and a waterproof cap on (to keep as much as possible of my glasses). If I use the umbrella I just stick it through the trolley frame to keep it in place while I hit the shot

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I had a holder, took it off. Like others I go waterproofs and a hat. Only exception is a bonkers downpour but I will hold the brolly then.

Wind is the biggest problem for a holder or brolly full stop. Does it get breezy where you play? That is the key question for you.

D

Deleted member 21258

Works well enough in normal strength winds and rain and certainly better than no umbrella.

Biggleswade Blue

Head Pro
Visit site
Just wondering if it is worth spending money on a decent golf umbrella to put on a push trolley? Or does very little wind just end up tipping the trolley over all the time?

Keep getting unlucky with the British weather and getting a good old soaking half way through the round.

Slowly making some investments got a waterproof bag on the way, need gloves next and jacket

I like mine. I've a decent holder and a high umbrella, and I'm not tall. Keeps grips drier too. Umbrella comes down if it gets really windy.

jmf1488

Club Champion
Visit site
I go full waterproofs and hat with rain gloves but also have my umbrella holder up. As someone else mentioned its good to put the umbrella in the spokes I like to hang my range finder under the brolly too so it stays dry.

You will soon learn what wind is too strong for it. Basically the same as when trying to hold an umbrella with your hand. It gets too windy then put it down.

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
Absolutely fine for me. ClicGear trolley and matching umbrella & adjustable holder. Holder is designed to be a snug fit for the ClicGear handle, elastic retaining strap so you don't lose it on windy days, adjust the angle if there is wind and rain and ClicGear even do a silvered umbrella so in the blazing heat we've had you can have a bit of shade. Fantastic piece of kit.

And at 6' 6" I can walk underneath it stood bolt upright; if you need to bend double to walk under your brolley you've got the wrong kit.

hines57

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Carry the brolly between shots if on uneven ground, leave it in the holder if the ground is less bumpy. Definitely good to stand under when waiting to play a shot.

My trolley did blow over in strong wind this season and snapped one of the brolly spokes - but that was somewhat of a freak accident (30 mph + gusts of wind that day!!).

Definitely invest in a good quality holder though(y)

AdamW

Visit site
Is a 52inch one big enough? There is also 64inch and 68inch not sure if they are getting ridiculous though?

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Absolutely fine for me. ClicGear trolley and matching umbrella & adjustable holder. Holder is designed to be a snug fit for the ClicGear handle, elastic retaining strap so you don't lose it on windy days, adjust the angle if there is wind and rain and ClicGear even do a silvered umbrella so in the blazing heat we've had you can have a bit of shade. Fantastic piece of kit.

And at 6' 6" I can walk underneath it stood bolt upright; if you need to bend double to walk under your brolley you've got the wrong kit.
Yeah, I was going to say this. I have had the problem in the past with a previous trolley, but with the Rovic I have now the handle position is high enough, and the holder positioned at the highest point at the end of the handle, so I can walk upright no problem.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I’ve given up on umbrellas, for golf and prefer a waterproof jacket and waterproof bucket hat. Umbrellas are a pain, ei5er hand held of trolley mounted.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Great on a powered trolley if the holder is good quality.

I hang my towel and gloves from the umbrella spokes. Saves holding the thing and I'm short enough to walk under it without crouching. (Is that a pun?)
Yup - in the rain my brolly in it's holder on my trolley is excellent for keeping a towel dry. Otherwise can feel at times to be more fiddly trouble than worth and can find myself pushing trolley with one hand an holding my brolly with the other.