Do I not like that....

D-S

Visit site
there are a lot of clubs that, in most ways are now pretty relaxed and have modernised a lot, but will still insist on shirts tucked in. My club is fine in the bar with shirts out and jeans etc but the starter would pull you on your untucked shirt before you have teed off
I am never sure why the view of men’s waistbands/belts so enthralls some folk.

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
It’s not difficult to tuck a shirt in
I have to confess whereas I have no difficulty in tucking a shirt in, for some reason I have great difficulty in keeping them tucked.
The damn things keep on coming untucked much to my wife's annoyance.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I am never sure why the view of men’s waistbands/belts so enthralls some folk.

It's been hinted at on this thread a couple times.

The people of this country can't just be left to their own decisions . They seem to like following little rules

Sub committees

Level upon level of little rule

I mean we have the rules of golf, local rules

They don't just say oh this is the rule of golf. Nope this is an option the committee can bring in

I dont think you get this in many other countries in the world

We just love being told what to do and when to do it

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The principle remains the same, clothes have become more casual which is fine but it doesn’t mean we have to relax standards.

What’s next? Trousers around your back side with the finest primarni cacks all on show.

That's always the same argument tho. People seem to think if "relax the standard" people are going to turn up in jeans and a pair of wellies

D-S

Visit site
The principle remains the same, clothes have become more casual which is fine but it doesn’t mean we have to relax standards.

The question is whose standards?
As has been pointed out ‘standards’ have continually been ‘relaxed’ over the years. The same people who currently faint if they can’t see a man’s waistband or belt would be thrown out of clubhouses up and down the land wearing the sorts of clothes they choose to wear now. Jacket and tie at all times in the clubhouse at all times, jackets to be worn on the course, often with ties - we have all seen the photos in the clubhouse. These were ‘standards’, they are not now. It always seems to be people imposing their current views/standards/tastes on others but not sticking to standards from the past as it doesn’t suit them - a tad hypocritical.

PaulMdj

Visit site
It's been hinted at on this thread a couple times.

The people of this country can't just be left to their own decisions . They seem to like following little rules

Sub committees

Level upon level of little rule

I mean we have the rules of golf, local rules

They don't just say oh this is the rule of golf. Nope this is an option the committee can bring in

I dont think you get this in many other countries in the world

We just love being told what to do and when to do it
Some Clubs in some Countries are worse, some are more relaxed.

RE: The bit in bold, all Countries comply with the RoG, so why you’d think it’s just the “people of this Country” that have their rules is strange.

It’s nothing to do with people in this Country being told what to do, as others have clearly stated, if they find Club rules on dress code etc they don’t like, they’ll play somewhere else or comply.

It’s not difficult, nobody is forced to play Golf.

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
The question is whose standards?
I guess standards are always of their time. They are what is felt appropriate by members of private clubs for their own peace of mind.
No one goes to gaol the worst that happens is that you have to play at another club.
In the future who knows golf may be naturist but many would feel uncomfortable at the moment.
I am not a huge fan of dress codes and we don't have them other than football colours but nor have I found any so onerous that they have spoiled my enjoyment of visiting clubs that do have them.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Some Clubs in some Countries are worse, some are more relaxed.

RE: The bit in bold, all Countries comply with the RoG, so why you’d think it’s just the “people of this Country” that have their rules is strange.

It’s nothing to do with people in this Country being told what to do, as others have clearly stated, if they find Club rules on dress code etc they don’t like, they’ll play somewhere else or comply.

It’s not difficult, nobody is forced to play Golf.

Think you have entirely missed what applies to this country

The levels of sub committee for the sake of it

Just reminds me parish council meetings of the pandemic

"Jakie weaver you have no authority here"

PaulMdj

Visit site
Think you have entirely missed what applies to this country

The levels of sub committee for the sake of it

Just reminds me parish council meetings of the pandemic

"Jakie weaver you have no authority here"
How do you know?

Have you spent anytime being a member of a Club overseas?