Do I not like that....

Teebs

Visit site
Players using clubs not suited to their ability, especially guys who are playing 52w and multiple times per week.

Burnsey

Visit site
Players using clubs not suited to their ability, especially guys who are playing 52w and multiple times per week.

You'd hate playing with me then 🤣

I've recently changed to a club 'better than my handicap' because the change was required, but they take some getting used to. No matter how much rage practice you do, playing on a course brings out the need to try shots you've not played before, shape shots etc. and it's always going to be somewhat experimental.

To be fair, I'm about 6 rounds in and wouldn't expect anyone to notice they're 'too good for me', but getting slightly better clubs than I perhaps should have gone for will improve my game in time and that's all that counts.

Captainron

Big Hitting, South African Sweary Person
Visit site
Rules for the sake of rules. Outdated rules that might have been relevant to something 100 years ago, but somehow live on out of some intangible concept called 'tradition'. Not rules of the game, but rules like; thou must not change thy shoes in the car park, thou must not wear thy hat indoors, thou must wear short white socks or long colourful ones with shorts, thou must tuck one's shirt in, etc etc etc. Rules that have absolutely no basis in modern society, it cannot even be explained why they first existed and yet they endure like a stubborn turd that won't flush.
I love those old traditional clubs. There are few of them about nowadays but they tend to be the better clubs and courses.

So log may that continue

Teebs

Visit site
You'd hate playing with me then 🤣

I've recently changed to a club 'better than my handicap' because the change was required, but they take some getting used to. No matter how much rage practice you do, playing on a course brings out the need to try shots you've not played before, shape shots etc. and it's always going to be somewhat experimental.

To be fair, I'm about 6 rounds in and wouldn't expect anyone to notice they're 'too good for me', but getting slightly better clubs than I perhaps should have gone for will improve my game in time and that's all that counts.

TBF, it's normally the other way round! Irons that belong in a scrap heap being used, drivers that are 15 years old etc.

Buckles01

Visit site
Folks that stand on the tee and laser every feature in front of them, from flags, to trees, to bunkers, to players in front, to mole hills….. hours later with the understanding exceeding that of an ordnance survey cartographer they usually slice into the nearest bush 🤷‍♂️

D

Deleted member 35504

Folks that stand on the tee and laser every feature in front of them, from flags, to trees, to bunkers, to players in front, to mole hills….. hours later with the understanding exceeding that of an ordnance survey cartographer they usually slice into the nearest bush 🤷‍♂️
But at least they know how far away the bush is...

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
TBF, it's normally the other way round! Irons that belong in a scrap heap being used, drivers that are 15 years old etc.
I must bug you then.

Cobra Driver, 3-wood, hybrid - 20 years old
Ping G10 and i10 irons 3 to 52° wedge - 15 years old
1990s Cleveland 58° wedge.
1980s Ben Sayers putter.

HI 4.3 and came runner up in club championship last year. 36 holes off scratch.
Took the Ping irons out and put in 1990s Daiwa blades for the county seniors championship last year. 18 holes off scratch. Finished tied 7th place. My best yet in that one.

Golfnut1957

Visit site
I'm ex army, so the jacket stays on until the captain/whoever removes theirs.

The issue with members clubs (I'm one), is visitors often don't know the rules and the course they played at last week was different, so I don't mind members pointing out when a hat should be removed, but not when they do it in an 'authoritive' manner - just point it out to the bloke.

I was on a course last week and someone told one lad teeing off to turn his cap around, as it was peak backwards (which he returned to peak forwards after every tee shot). I'd never wear a cap that way, but never seen that before.
Same here. It was a very nice Sgt Major from a Guards regiment who once reminded me that there was no reason to wear my beret in the mess as there were no woodpeckers in there. He did it a very respectful 2 inches from my face in his best loud voice. Quite an impact.

As for caps in general, I get them, but I don't get how some people can't live without them. I'm convinced that there are some people who get out of bed in the morning in the bollocky buff and the first thing they put on is their cap, then socks and undies. I'm pretty sure my son-in-law fits that description.

And finally, the cap on backwards thing, how quaint, how very 90s. Shot at dawn springs to mind.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I was on a course last week and someone told one lad teeing off to turn his cap around, as it was peak backwards (which he returned to peak forwards after every tee shot). I'd never wear a cap that way, but never seen that before.
Did he tell him this for sartorial reasons and it annoyed him or was it genuinely a rule at that club? Part of me wants it to be the latter. For that to be itemised as against club rules would be really quite funny 😄