Do I need a wedge as a beginner?

BRISTOL86

Head Pro
Visit site
I’m going to be playing only par 3/pitch and putt style courses this year as I start again from scratch.

The irons I bought includes a PW which I think is 46deg loft. I presumed I could hack around with pretty much just this and a putter given the dry hard conditions but wondering whether I should get something with a bit more loft also for either in sand (inevitable!) or round the greens?

If so what loft should I go for? Something like a 56 or 60? Any recommendations on brand that I can get as cheap as poss s/h?

Ta

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I’m going to be playing only par 3/pitch and putt style courses this year as I start again from scratch.

The irons I bought includes a PW which I think is 46deg loft. I presumed I could hack around with pretty much just this and a putter given the dry hard conditions but wondering whether I should get something with a bit more loft also for either in sand (inevitable!) or round the greens?

If so what loft should I go for? Something like a 56 or 60? Any recommendations on brand that I can get as cheap as poss s/h?

Ta

I think bob always says you only need 2 wedges .. pitch and sand

Then learn to play every shot with them

I personally have like 4 wedges cuz I’m crap and need all the help I can get.

I’d say defo a sand. Maybe 56?

I play 43, 50,54,58

But use the 54 less and less now days so it’s almost like 43, 50 58

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
I think bob always says you only need 2 wedges .. pitch and sand

If the set has the old lofts
eg
9 iron.......45
Pw...........50
Sw...........55

Then 2 is perfick

If its the newer lofts
eg
Pw......45
Gw......52
Sw......58
then it's 3

Low, medium and high.
Don't try and make it more difficult.

As for the OP, I would say a 56 SW will be ideal to start with.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
A sand wedge is usually handy. Most notably, for sand. Maybe get a 54° - if you get a 60 you've still a massive gap between the PW and that. 54 should do you for bunkers and 80-odd yard pitches though.

Not necessarily for around the greens though, in summer and assuming no obstacles in the way, I find a chip and run with an 8 or 9 iron to be more reliable.

BRISTOL86

Head Pro
Visit site
Thanks all. Perfect. I’ll look at a 54 or 56 deg for sand and short holes (think some at the course I’ll play a few times areas short as about 90yds)

badgb21

Hacker
Visit site
I was in your position at the start of the year and managed to get a set of Callaway Mack daddy 4 wedges.
I also play a short course – par 61 and reckon you would benefit from having a wedge in your bag.
My 56 deg gets the most use, closely followed by the 60, then 52 deg.
Your local pro shop will have some you could try and probably some second-hand ones too.
Failing that Fleabay has a thousands, some of which are likely to be close enough to collect, very cheap, but you probably won’t be able to try.
Further down the price scale you could try your local tip, you might be surprised!

Something with a decent grip, that won’t send your hands black and a head in good nick will be a start.
If you feel like pushing the boat out, definitely try a few.
Good luck.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
May I say...if as a beginner you can spank a sand iron (54/56*) 90 yards your pretty good beginner, for me that’s a comfortable PW.

I would say forget the extra loft, and learn how to use the pw for almost everything.
If Seve was able to learn to hit all type of shots with a 3 iron on a beach, I would say stick with the pw for now. Your short game will gain a lot from it.

BRISTOL86

Head Pro
Visit site
May I say...if as a beginner you can spank a sand iron (54/56*) 90 yards your pretty good beginner, for me that’s a comfortable PW.

I would say forget the extra loft, and learn how to use the pw for almost everything.
If Seve was able to learn to hit all type of shots with a 3 iron on a beach, I would say stick with the pw for now. Your short game will gain a lot from it.

Haha I have no idea what my distances are but tbh I was thinking more about my second shot after I mishit it and it goes 30 yards off the tee !!!

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
eg
9 iron.......45
Pw...........50
Sw...........55

Then 2 is perfick

If its the newer lofts
eg
Pw......45
Gw......52
Sw......58
then it's 3

Low, medium and high.

That was it! I knew you said something on those lines.. I’ve almost adopted it now myself with the 43 50 58 set.. I don’t overly use my 54 now.. very rarely .. I’ve become better and more confident with the 58

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
That was it! I knew you said something on those lines.. I’ve almost adopted it now myself with the 43 50 58 set.. I don’t overly use my 54 now.. very rarely .. I’ve become better and more confident with the 58
My own set up is similar. PW from my iron set is 44, then have Cleveland wedges at 50 and 56. I don't really think of the PW as a wedge, it's more like a '10 iron'.

Edit: Oh wait, I forgot that I also have a 60° that I use in bunkers. I didn't actually buy that though so it doesn't count. :rofl:

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site
eg
9 iron.......45
Pw...........50
Sw...........55

Then 2 is perfick

If its the newer lofts
eg
Pw......45
Gw......52
Sw......58
then it's 3

Low, medium and high.

You saved me saying exactly the same bob. I would pick up a couple of wedges then you have a complete set of irons for when you want to start playing full courses.

Depending on the irons, a lot of them actually do a gap wedge that would match the rest of your irons, especially with the stronger lifted iron sets.