Do I NEED a 14th club????

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
IMO nobody needs 14 clubs. I've been carrying this winter and, being an old fart, I've only had 7 or 8 clubs in the bag. There's been no discernible difference to my (admittedly) rather pathetic scores. Scores in our club's "5 club" comps are usually no worse than other comps.

There again, there are people on here who know my game and will say that I would probably play better with just a putter (apparently I'm magic when I eventually get to the green) :mmm:

I'd second that. The last cut I got was in a 5 club comp; 2 iron, 5 iron, 8 iron, sand wedge, putter. Remind me why I need 14 again? (But yes, I do carry 14 normally :D )

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
get out there and play, measure some of your shots with a gps and then compare reality to what you think you should be achieving.

Any gaps will quickly become apparent, also you may find certain clubs harder to hit properly, which will influence your choice of stick.

I wouldn't do anything until I had been out on a proper course a few times and had an idea of my game away from the simulator.
Good luck and hope it all comes together

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
I'd second that. The last cut I got was in a 5 club comp; 2 iron, 5 iron, 8 iron, sand wedge, putter. Remind me why I need 14 again? (But yes, I do carry 14 normally :D )

Naughty - 5 club comps cannot be qualifiers!

However, it's a point well made and there's concrete evidence that for many players the restriction really frees them up mentally and they respond with good scores in such events.

The other aspect is the nature of the course. I rarely play courses where the ability to both shape the ball horizontally and the trajectory and spin charecteristics of my approach shots make a fundamental impact on my ability to get round; average courses simply aren't set up that way.

To the original poster; there will come a point when you become aware of what may help you score better, or enjoy your game more, out on the course - until then work with what you have (which sounds extremely balanced and sensible from your description). If i was to recommendnanything it would probably be to take a couple more out rather than panic about what to add in! Enjoy the learning progressing experience.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Sometimes it's worth having a particular club for a particular hole at your course.
It may go a similar distance as another club but the way it covers that distance may be different and may be beneficial on that hole.
You may want a 180 yard club that flies high and drops soft, probably a hybrid, rather than an iron that will rely more on spin to stop, say a 4 iron.
This is more relevant when you have gaps covered

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The one club I feel necessary to include is a Sand iron when playing courses that have good quality sand in their bunkers rather than the compact gritty sort or shallow sand on a clay base that does not need the level of bounce a Sand-iron provides. It replaces one of my wedges.
Good luck in getting your choices working!!

Blue in Munich

Visit site

However, it's a point well made and there's concrete evidence that for many players the restriction really frees them up mentally and they respond with good scores in such events.

The other aspect is the nature of the course. I rarely play courses where the ability to both shape the ball horizontally and the trajectory and spin charecteristics of my approach shots make a fundamental impact on my ability to get round; average courses simply aren't set up that way.

To the original poster; there will come a point when you become aware of what may help you score better, or enjoy your game more, out on the course - until then work with what you have (which sounds extremely balanced and sensible from your description). If i was to recommendnanything it would probably be to take a couple more out rather than panic about what to add in! Enjoy the learning progressing experience.

It was questioned at the time; could you point me in the direction of the relevant rule please?

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

It was questioned at the time; could you point me in the direction of the relevant rule please?

I think that would be CONGU 17.2(c) scores returned in any competition in which the form of play is not covered by the Rules of Golf and authorised Local Rules;

Changing the number of clubs permitted is outside these Rules...... well I think that's what it is, Richard

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I think the gap between the PW and 52 would be a bit big for me so personally I would get a 50 but then you would need a 54 and 58 but if you are happy with the gaping then that’s cool

You could add one of those hybrid irons at 2 or 3 iron loft to give you something that goes a bit lower ?

As a newbie that hasn't been out on the course yet, any one of the clubs he currently has is capable of hitting it a bit lower, even his sand wedge!!
Why confuse the issue even more by adding even more clubs????
Just get out and enjoy playing with what you have, the game is complicated enough without adding even more complications.
Once you have been playing a while, you will discover your strengths and weaknesses.
That's when you start tinkering.
And that's when you discover that you can't buy a game.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
I think that would be CONGU 17.2(c) scores returned in any competition in which the form of play is not covered by the Rules of Golf and authorised Local Rules;

Changing the number of clubs permitted is outside these Rules...... well I think that's what it is, Richard

Indeed, that's the specific.

Restricting the number of clubs is actually given as an example of ways clubs have deliberately set out to run competitions as non Q, as oposednto the traditional 5 club events which are an example of normal non Q competition.

Wording from rule 17

"Although a club committee or Handicapping Authority has the right to deprive certain competitions of
their status as Qualifying Competitions this discretion should not be abused. It is considered to be
outside the spirit and intent of the UHS to adjust the terms and conditions of an otherwise Qualifying
Competition so that it is technically Non-Qualifying. Examples of situations used to circumvent and
abuse the handicapping rules are:
 the imposition of a limitation to the number of golf clubs a competitor may use. (This does not
refer to traditional five-club competitions and the like which may be run as Non Qualifying
Competitions);"

Blue in Munich

Visit site

Indeed, that's the specific.

Restricting the number of clubs is actually given as an example of ways clubs have deliberately set out to run competitions as non Q, as oposednto the traditional 5 club events which are an example of normal non Q competition.

Wording from rule 17

"Although a club committee or Handicapping Authority has the right to deprive certain competitions of
their status as Qualifying Competitions this discretion should not be abused. It is considered to be
outside the spirit and intent of the UHS to adjust the terms and conditions of an otherwise Qualifying
Competition so that it is technically Non-Qualifying. Examples of situations used to circumvent and
abuse the handicapping rules are:
 the imposition of a limitation to the number of golf clubs a competitor may use. (This does not
refer to traditional five-club competitions and the like which may be run as Non Qualifying
Competitions);"

Thank you gents, I shall mention it in passing the next time I see the DoG......... :D