New Club Advice

BobBarker

Visit site
Hi all, I've been recently upgrading my bag and was interested to get people's thoughts on the what I should do next.

Having gotten back into the sport seriously again after a few years lay-off (apart from the odd round here or there), I obtained a handicap of 16. I made the decision to upgrade my irons given the fact my old ones were somewhere between 10 and 15 years old.

My current bag looks as follows:

- Driver: Nike SQ Sumo2
- Irons: TaylorMade M6 4-PW
- Wedge: RAM Wizard 60 degree
- Putter: Odyssey White Hot 2-Ball

The debate I'm having with myself is whether I should invest in a longer club (somewhere from a 3 wood down to possibly a hybrid the equivalent of a 3 iron) or a couple of wedges (between 50 and 58 degrees). My home course isn't particularly long and is only 9 holes with 7 out of 9 tee shots only requiring a 3 iron or less. Given the recent upgrade in irons, I no longer have the 3 iron hence the consideration to try and replace it somehow. My driving is also the worst part of my game and very inconsistent so it would be good to have a go to club off the tee that will give me more distance than a 3 iron but something I can rely on when the driver isn't working. Despite this temptation I know how important the game is from inside 100-120 yards and feel a couple of different wedges for different situations may be of more benefit.

It would be good to get opinions on this to help me going forward and maybe even a recommendation as to a particular club they would suggest (brand/make).

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
If it were me I'd make the wedge or two a priority - PW (guessing 45° ish) to 60° is a huge gap. Just getting a 50° in there would help a lot. Then maybe get a wood or a hybrid after that.

BobBarker

Visit site
If it were me I'd make the wedge or two a priority - PW (guessing 45° ish) to 60° is a huge gap. Just getting a 50° in there would help a lot. Then maybe get a wood or a hybrid after that.

Thanks Orikoru, appreciate the help. If I'm going down the wedge route then I'll probably go all out and get a couple. Do you think a 50° and a 54° would be the way to go? Can you recommend any particular brand?

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Thanks Orikoru, appreciate the help. If I'm going down the wedge route then I'll probably go all out and get a couple. Do you think a 50° and a 54° would be the way to go? Can you recommend any particular brand?
I'm probably not that knowledgable on brands, most of my stuff is second hand, ha. If you get the chance to try before you buy then take it and see how it feels. You could get a 50 first and maybe a 54/56 later on although that would be less urgent I think.

BobBarker

Visit site
I'm probably not that knowledgable on brands, most of my stuff is second hand, ha. If you get the chance to try before you buy then take it and see how it feels. You could get a 50 first and maybe a 54/56 later on although that would be less urgent I think.

I see you have a Cleveland RTX-3 50° in the bag, how do you find playing with that being a mid handicapper yourself? Reading online they seem to be a good choice of wedge.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I see you have a Cleveland RTX-3 50° in the bag, how do you find playing with that being a mid handicapper yourself? Reading online they seem to be a good choice of wedge.
That's been in the bag longer than almost all the other clubs so I must like it. (y) It is the only gap wedge I've ever had though, haha.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Do TM do a gap wedge that match your irons ?
TM do a high toe wedge that is really nice.
If not I play Callaway Mac daddy 50 56 60.
These are great wedges ,look on eBay there’s lots.

GolfingPastor

Visit site
Personally, I would go for a crossover style club 3 iron equivalent- Ping Crossover or Titleist TM-B.
If you hit woods better then a 5 wood.
If you like hybrids then no.3 hybrid.

You can manage with PW and learn to play half shots/punch shots with it for 80-120yards and then get the 60 deg out for bunkers and flop shots closer in