DIY Driver Repair, Advice/Ideas ?

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Ta, I wasnt aware. Which element ? Holes for missing screws or weights a non issue, or that you dont need approval for a modified driver ?
just generally

If you want to read them they can be found online on the R&A website in equipment rules.

Personally I would question if such damage actually breaks the equipment rules as it does not change the playing characteristics.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
just generally

If you want to read them they can be found online on the R&A website in equipment rules.

Personally I would question if such damage actually breaks the equipment rules as it does not change the playing characteristics.
Do those rule changes actually relate to the OP's (ongoing) problem though. As far as I can see, they only relate to allowing a 'conforming club that becomes non-conforming during a round' (likewise a damaged on) to continue to be used, in its 'damaged' form, during the rest that round. Starting out with a non-conforming Driver would still result in DQ.
Happy to be shown otherwise though!

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Isn’t that just a hot pour hole for balancing tolerances during manufacturing, just plug it.

it needs to be flexible fix (silicone, glue gun etc) and the shocks and twists at impact will crack a rigid fix (chemical metal etc)

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Isn’t that just a hot pour hole for balancing tolerances during manufacturing, just plug it.

it needs to be flexible fix (silicone, glue gun etc) and the shocks and twists at impact will crack a rigid fix (chemical metal etc)

Yeah I reckon that's what it is, only 1-2 mm's across and perfectly round

Glue gun seems the most popular advice, thanks all

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Do those rule changes actually relate to the OP's (ongoing) problem though. As far as I can see, they only relate to allowing a 'conforming club that becomes non-conforming during a round' (likewise a damaged on) to continue to be used, in its 'damaged' form, during the rest that round. Starting out with a non-conforming Driver would still result in DQ.
Happy to be shown otherwise though!

The question really is - "does that damage make it non conforming as playing characteristics have probably not been altered"?

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
The question really is - "does that damage make it non conforming as playing characteristics have probably not been altered"?
Wrong!
That (italicised bit) might be your question, but as far as the player/authorities is/are concerned, the only question is 'am I breaking any Rules if I play with this club'! No different from any other Rule.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Yeah I'm still keen to know if its non conforming. I know a couple of those who have commented are pretty experienced in rules but I thought that by tagging the RuleFan & Colin in an earlier post would give them an alert & get their view too but possibly that's not how it works

I'll jump into Rules and ask them to read this .....

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
Obviously the club was conforming when it was new. I can't see anything in the current equipment rules that would make it non-conforming now that the "cap" or bit of "filler" has fallen off. Nor can I see anything in the current rules that would make the club non-conforming if the missing bit was replaced/repaired - either "as original" or with suitable compromise. If anyone thinks different, then I'm happy to have the relevants bits of the rules pointed out. Always happy to learn something. So, I'd say, fill it as best you can with whatever seems to work best. As to what, I've no better suggestions than those already made

(I know Howell's club was deemed non-conforming because after whatever it was that fell off, the club "had a hole in it" - but perhaps the specific rule has changed since then, or perhaps the damage was a different nature of "hole". Certainly, Slab's picture seems to show a small hole not disimilar to things I'm pretty sure I've seen on many another driver?).

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Banned
Visit site
I can't see anything in the current equipment rules that would make it non-conforming now that the "cap" or bit of "filler" has fallen off.
As long as you blank the hole with anything that is likely to stay there during play, it will be OK again.

This rule, as far as I can see is still there, and so the Howell situation still applies.
From the R&A website, https://www.randa.org/en/rules-of-equipment/2019/rules/equipment-rules/part-2-conformance-of-clubs

Conformance of Clubs

The rules and specifications regarding golf clubs are divided into five separate categories, describing the requirements that apply to each. The five categories are:

1. Club (General)
  2. Shaft
  3. Grip
  4. Clubhead
  5. Club Face.

Clubs

Holes through the Head
  • Holes through the head are not permitted for wood heads – see Figure 26.

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
As long as you blank the hole with anything that is likely to stay there during play, it will be OK again.

This rule, as far as I can see is still there, and so the Howell situation still applies.
From the R&A website, https://www.randa.org/en/rules-of-equipment/2019/rules/equipment-rules/part-2-conformance-of-clubs

Conformance of Clubs

The rules and specifications regarding golf clubs are divided into five separate categories, describing the requirements that apply to each. The five categories are:

1. Club (General)
  2. Shaft
  3. Grip
  4. Clubhead
  5. Club Face.

Clubs

Holes through the Head
  • Holes through the head are not permitted for wood heads – see Figure 26.
Yep, I'd seen that.

But what Slab shows wasnt a hole through the club-head. And certainly it bore no resemblance whatsoever to Fig 26 - not even topologically. It was only similar to many a "screwhole" or "weight adjusting recess" (choose your own phraseology) found on many a conforming club. Personally, I still can't see anything in the wording of the current rules whereby the absence of the "cap" would render the club non-conforming.

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I accept that this might be a bit radical, but as you aren't playing (I presume) in top amateur and pro competitions, why are you so worried about it being conforming or not? I know golf is a game that is all about self policing of the rules but even the most pedantic on the forum could not possibly claim that the missing plug will enhance the performance of the club. Also, I cannot, for 1 second, believe that anyone who played with you would check the club during a round so I suggest you stop worrying and put it back in the bag, and carry on playing with it.

Neeko1988

Visit site
I accept that this might be a bit radical, but as you aren't playing (I presume) in top amateur and pro competitions, why are you so worried about it being conforming or not? I know golf is a game that is all about self policing of the rules but even the most pedantic on the forum could not possibly claim that the missing plug will enhance the performance of the club. Also, I cannot, for 1 second, believe that anyone who played with you would check the club during a round so I suggest you stop worrying and put it back in the bag, and carry on playing with it.

This!!!!