Divided by a common language

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site
Would anyone venture a translation of this from the American GolfWRX forum? I haven't a clue what it means. :confused:

my club plays what they call "tournament tees" for these matches. As such, there are defined distances they want us to play. However, on several of these tees or distances, there is not actually a set of tees nearby, or in some cases not on that actual teeing ground (they could be up one box or behind one box). What we opted to do was to try to get close to the number, but based our yardages on where the tees were at a previous tournament (the qualifier for this event). We figured that as long as we agreed in each hole, we were ok.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Would anyone venture a translation of this from the American GolfWRX forum? I haven't a clue what it means. :confused:

my club plays what they call "tournament tees" for these matches.

Equivalent to white or possibly black in the UK

As such, there are defined distances they want us to play.

Measured Course

However, on several of these tees or distances, there is not actually a set of tees nearby,

Tee markers

or in some cases not on that actual teeing ground (they could be up one box or behind one box).

The raised area where corresponding teeing grounds would normally be situated

What we opted to do was to try to get close to the number, but based our yardages on where the tees were at a previous tournament (the qualifier for this event). We figured that as long as we agreed in each hole, we were ok.

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site
Thanks that's a great step forward but it still leaves me in the position I sometimes find with French: knowing what every individual word means but struggling to get what they signify as a whole.

I suppose my real question should be, what on earth are these guys up to? At best guess, the problem is with the course set-up, that they did not find teeing grounds properly marked where they should have been and had to make do as best they could?

Last edited:

pbrown7582

Money List Winner
Visit site
Thanks that's a great step forward but it still leaves me in the position I sometimes find with French: knowing what every individual word means but struggling to get what they signify as a whole.
I suppose my real question should be, what on earth are these guys up to? At best guess, the problem is with the course set-up, that they did not find teeing grounds properly marked where they should have been and had to make do as best they could?

I think your getting there! Surely a call back to pro shop club house by 1st group out would of been the way to go?

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
You're applying British logic to an American there.....

Indeed. The US 'Can Do' approach vs the British 'Er excuse me but where are the Markers we are meant to use?'.

Or the Aussie/Kiwi 'Oi mate. Where the <expletive> are the bleedin' blocks you want us to play off?'.

CheltenhamHacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Indeed. The US 'Can Do' approach vs the British 'Er excuse me but where are the Markers we are meant to use?'.

Or the Aussie/Kiwi 'Oi mate. Where the <expletive> are the bleedin' blocks you want us to play off?'.

Sums it up exactly! Except you missed the part off where as a Brit, we apologise for bothering them, repeatedly!

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Sums it up exactly! Except you missed the part off where as a Brit, we apologise for bothering them, repeatedly!

Sorry. My apologies.

Er hang on. That's not me!

<exp> off ya pommie bar stood!

:D

On a semi-related topic...

How many distinct meanings do the Scots have for the word 'Pal' (TV encoding systems etc, excepted)? I can think of 4, or maybe 5, The English don't seem to have an equivalent single word that can be used in the same number of contexts, though 'Mate' works the same 'Down Under'!

Last edited:

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I'm going to be very generous to our American cousin's by suggesting that for this competition they are looking to the Articles and Laws in Playing of Golf 1774 for inspiration. Rules 1 and 2...

1. You must Tee your Ball, within a Club's length of the Hole
2. Your Tee must be upon the Ground

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
How many distinct meanings do the Scots have for the word 'Pal' (TV encoding systems etc, excepted)? I can think of 4, or maybe 5, The English don't seem to have an equivalent single word that can be used in the same number of contexts, though 'Mate' works the same 'Down Under'!

I might be too long in England - but only one meaning of the word - but context will give it quite different implication for the recipient of the greeting - d'ya unnerstaun what I'm sayin'! (note - not a question :))

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
... only one meaning of the word - but context will give it quite different implication for the recipient of the greeting

That was what I was meaning!

Thanks pal. - from cabbie after payment, with/without tip. Equivalent of 'sir'.
Playing golf with a pal - the 'standard' meaning 'friend'
Excuse me pal - to stranger, waiter or anyone you want to take notice. I answer to 'Oi'!
Watch it pal - to stranger or familiar person suggesting you either care required or that you are not happy with their recent action.
See here pal - unsubtle threat! This is the only way things should be done!

I'm told the Thai word 'Ma' has 5 distinct meanings, depending on voice tone - from 'Grandmother' to 'See here pal'!

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
That was what I was meaning!

Thanks pal. - from cabbie after payment, with/without tip. Equivalent of 'sir'.
Playing golf with a pal - the 'standard' meaning 'friend'
Excuse me pal - to stranger, waiter or anyone you want to take notice. I answer to 'Oi'!
Watch it pal - to stranger or familiar person suggesting you either care required or that you are not happy with their recent action.
See here pal - unsubtle threat! This is the only way things should be done!

Indeed - though not sure I'd ever say
see here pal
as that is verging on 'I say old chap'

Maybe 'hiy - pal - who are you lookin at?'

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Indeed - though not sure I'd ever say ..... as that is verging on 'I say old chap'

Quite the opposite when spoken at 65 decibels in a threatening growl!

'I say old chap' is more the 'excuse me pal' type, though could well be deemed rather condescending and receive the gruff 'See here pal' response! (Patrick148 should perhaps take note!).

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

Aye right pal.

Two positives make a negative in oor speak