Ditching terrestrial TV.

spongebob59

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
HID has decided we (I) are/am redecorating the lounge. Now when we moved in 5 years ago I had the Tv cable all and ds l moved to one corner of the room but now the Tv will be moved to the other side of the room. Apart from laying the cables under the floor U am now considering ditching freeview and just buying a new smart TV ( The upside) and just con nect ting wirelessly. Only downside I can see to this is not being able to recorded and watch TV in the BT youview box and getting everything on catchup.

anyone else done this ?

robinthehood

Hacker
Visit site
HID has decided we (I) are/am redecorating the lounge. Now when we moved in 5 years ago I had the Tv cable all and ds l moved to one corner of the room but now the Tv will be moved to the other side of the room. Apart from laying the cables under the floor U am now considering ditching freeview and just buying a new smart TV ( The upside) and just con nect ting wirelessly. Only downside I can see to this is not being able to recorded and watch TV in the BT youview box and getting everything on catchup.

anyone else done this ?

the issue I see with using catch up only is you are forced to watch the ads on ITV, CH4 etc.

spongebob59

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Just had a look and the only two cables to the Tv are a data cab!e from the router and an HDMI from the BT box. I can connect wirelessly so that the data cable gone so might see if there is any way to connect BT box without wires. The router and BT box have to stay where they are due to the external wiring.

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site

anyone else done this ?
Being a retired sparky , I re-routed / moved all the cables and boxes to a central cupboard.

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
which was pretty much what happened when we moved here, even had a cupboard built into the alcove where the cables come in.
which was pretty much what happened when we moved here, even had a cupboard built into the alcove where the cables come in.
I think it would be worth it in the long run, especially when you're decorating anyway, that'll give you more options, if it's not too much hassle .(y)

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I just have trunking going from one side of the room to the other.

It was all ok when we first moved in the builders had actually put in TV aerial cables in the walls going to either side of the room, it was the need to have telephone points and network cables on both sides that introduced the need for a solution.

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
I just have trunking going from one side of the room to the other.

It was all ok when we first moved in the builders had actually put in TV aerial cables in the walls going to either side of the room, it was the need to have telephone points and network cables on both sides that introduced the need for a solution.
There's excellent white plastic skirting trunking available that takes all cables plus no need to paint your skirtings ever again.(y)

spongebob59

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
the only way to do it would be to lift the floorboards , which is why I am considering ditching the BT feed. Had a trawl in the BT forums and it has to be HDMI cables to the TV.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
the only way to do it would be to lift the floorboards , which is why I am considering ditching the BT feed. Had a trawl in the BT forums and it has to be HDMI cables to the TV.

Or simply removing skirting boards, removing the plaster if necessary and hiding the cables behind the board before refitting it

Rooter

Money List Winner
Visit site
Or simply removing skirting boards, removing the plaster if necessary and hiding the cables behind the board before refitting it

yeh this would be me, i cant stand the site of cables. I chased all of mine in and routed HDMI's down the cupboard where the dvd and sky box hides (Sky Q main box is brill as the remote is bluetooth so you dont need to see it) and then fitted a double socket where the TV goes in the wall. Looks way better in my opinion, but a lot of work!

IanMcC

Visit site
Check that the smart TV you buy can receive itv hub live. They all receive itv hub, but LG for instance, and some others, cannot view live itv.