Ditch the 4

shivas irons

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
I recently replaced my 4 iron with a 7 wood (no hybrids here) and have made the game considerably easier for myself, Being a bit of a traditionlist golfer I was reluctant to give up the long irons but the results have been impressive.My set up with yardage now looks like this;
Lw-60 yrds in
Sw-100 yds
Gw-110 yds
Pw-120 yds
9-130 yds
8-140 yds
7-150 yds
6-160 yds
5-170 yds
7 wood 185 yds
5 wood 195 yds
3 wood 225 yds
Driver 260+ yds

There seems to be much more confidence with my game 180-200 yds especially with the long par 3's and approuch shots to long holes.Anyone else just using up to 5 iron?

Last edited:

Laka

Head Pro
Visit site
5 iron is my longest iron, next is 5 wood and i sometimes feel need of a club in between. have though about a hybrid, but the 7-wood was something to think about as well.. I hope to play rather much links golf next season and wonder is an hybrid or 7-wood more suitable on links courses?

LIG

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Switched to hybrids when I stopped playing weekly. Now that I'm used to them I think they're far easier to hit well when you're having a bad day.

Kellfire

Blackballed
Visit site
I only have up to a 5i but it's so strong it's nearly a 4. I wish I'd paid the extra to get the 4i for my set now though. :(

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
4 iron definitely my go to club off the tee, 3 iron has spent most of the summer having to do the drivers job! carry a hybrid but tend to chip with it more than full shots lol

Coatsy79

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
My set goes from a 4 iron but I rarely take it with me

My usual round of golf set is

Driver (when I feel the need to hit it)
5 Wood
22 Hybrid
Then 5-PW
Gap and Sand wedge
Putter

Sweep

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I didn't buy a 4 iron when I bought my irons, but last year went out and bought one as I was having great difficulty hitting my hybrid off the tee on long par 3's. I don't often use it off the turf though, electing instead to use my hybrid, which is supposed to be a 4 iron replacement, but goes further and is easier to hit.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Got a 4 and a 23 hybrid at the moment.
Hitting the iron nicely most of the time and the hybrid goes more like a 3 iron anyway - longer, lighter graphite shaft and a lower CoG so it carries further but doesn't roll so much.
About 12-15 yards between them so it works for me.

Many would benefit from not having a 4...

kid2

Money List Winner
Visit site
4 iron is the longest in my bag and gets used as often as I can as I have a few holes at our place that have long carrys.....

Iv no issues getting a long iron airborne either and was toying with the idea of even getting a 3 iron for my set.... Currently use a Wilsonstaff 3 hybrid.....

I think they all have a use of some sort....

tsped83

Tour Winner
Visit site
I've a love hate relationship with my 4 iron. Maybe 1 in 5 will be a rocket right out of the sweet spot, the other 4? Not so much. Will be staying in the bag for the foreseeable future though.

Andy808

Tour Winner
Visit site
I love my 4 iron and wouldn't consider changing it for a 7 wood. I hit it better than my 5 iron even though it has been tweaked to be in between a 3 and 4 iron to fill the gap to my 5 wood.