Ditch the 4

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
3 iron is my favourite club:smirk:

I have to just ask the OP and anyone else, do you really hit a SW 100yds? I max out at 85 at a push and I dont consider myself a slouch distance wise with anything else

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I have no problem pulling my four iron out and play it with the same confidence as any other. Wouldn't consider replacing and certainly wouldn't put a 7 wood in the bag but that's just personal choice

Davey247

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I'm going the other way and thinking of dropping my hybrid for a 3 iron. My 4 & 5 iron have been excellent this year, making the hybrid near redundant.

shivas irons

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site

I have to just ask the OP and anyone else, do you really hit a SW 100yds? I max out at 85 at a push and I dont consider myself a slouch distance wise with anything else
Its a 55 deg and ive measured it out a few times.

NorfolkShaun

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I carry a 21 deg hybrid and a 5 wood but do not hit them very often as I hit my 4 and 5 irons so well. I may lose a little distance but much more accurate with the irons making me think about a 2,3 iron or even an MP4 utility

Andy808

Tour Winner
Visit site

I use a 55 degree and hit it out the back of our 100 yard hole if I hit a full shot but my 60 degree doesn't quiet make it so yes I can hit a SW 100 yards, plus a bit.

Wilf

Club Champion
Visit site
I am currently looking at new irons and being in the bracket of GI irons was beginning to debate whether a 5 iron is actually needed , not even replaced with a easier to hit club, given the way iron lofts seem to be heading now. I tend to hit 5 iron but then go straight to a hybrid even though I carry a 4 iron (under tree punch club basically). Given that the trend is now that the new 6 is the old 5 will the 4 and 5 iron end up going the same way as the 3 iron in a standard set and sets will rather end up with multiple gap wedges similar to what Titleist offer with AP1's?

S

Snelly

I love my 2, 3 and 4 iron and prefer them to hybrids although will swap the 2 iron for a 2 hybrid if there is no wind.

7 wood? No way. I would rather not play golf!

Sand iron - mine is 54 degrees and I hit it 20-110 yards depending on how much oomph I give it. Probably 120 if I mullered it but that would be sacrificing nearly all control.

Alan P Mills

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Been using a 22deg hybrid for about 4months now instead of my 4 iron, I get greater distance with it than my 4 iron so my yard ages are a little out but can live with that due to greater consistency.

HickoryShaft

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Never!!

4 iron is actually my club of choice on many shots. Several tee shots plus often off the fairway each round.

I carry a 3 iron and it usually comes out in windy conditions to keep the flight low but probably gets a couple of hits a round max in normal conditions

BrizoH71

Tour Rookie
brianhealy.net
I've just swapped in a 4-iron in place of my 23deg hybrid, as I already have a 20 in the bag and didn't feel there was any benefit carrying two. The 23deg invariably just comes along for the ride anyway, and I used the 20deg a lot more.

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I use a 55 degree and hit it out the back of our 100 yard hole if I hit a full shot but my 60 degree doesn't quiet make it so yes I can hit a SW 100 yards, plus a bit.

Yes but do you play your 100 yard hole constantly from the back tees.
Must be a very wide thin tee if you do, or do you use year round mats.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I recently replaced my 4 iron with a 7 wood (no hybrids here) and have made the game considerably easier for myself, Being a bit of a traditionlist golfer I was reluctant to give up the long irons but the results have been impressive.My set up with yardage now looks like this;
Lw-60 yrds in
Sw-100 yds
Gw-110 yds
Pw-120 yds
9-130 yds
8-140 yds
7-150 yds
6-160 yds
5-170 yds
7 wood 185 yds
5 wood 195 yds
3 wood 225 yds
Driver 260+ yds

There seems to be much more confidence with my game 180-200 yds especially with the long par 3's and approuch shots to long holes.Anyone else just using up to 5 iron?

Your yardages look like what I'd think around mine

cookelad

Tour Winner
Visit site

I suspect there's a bit of de-lofting going on! There's a fella on our Spain Trip that hits every club 150 yards because he de-lofts that much that he's presenting a 6 iron loft to his wedge but by the time he gets to 5 or 6 iron there's not enough loft to get the ball in the air!

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Humble apologies, I shall re-phrase.

A seven wood is a suitable club for male golfers with limp wrists or male golfers over the age of 74.

Really? so are you saying its a flippers club? My 7 wood carries 220 yards from most lies .. nought soft about that in fact I have taken it out the bag because the course just isn't long enough. But honestly a lot of these hybrids are shaped like woods, so its pretty hard to determine what is a 7 wood or a hybrid.

My 4 iron is taking a rest at the moment, I have the 4 hybrid in the bag and it seems to be worming its way into my affection ...