Distance with a driver

Dreamer2

Head Pro
Visit site
if we can forget about how we get the ball distance for a minute I'm thinking doe's the make or shape, of the driver off the tee gain you any more distance

there are new drivers being made all the time without changing anything but the driver (club) with the newer drivers would you get more distance

& whats your make of driver & the distance your getting of the Tee

i have TaylorMade r5 dual 10.5 & the ball is landing at 190/200 yrds (at the range)

cheers
:fore:

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Titleist driver as per sig. Currently hitting it a bit high, and 240 measured on the gps.

Have had about ten drivers in the last few years. Some off the rack, some custom fit. None is any longer than the last. Won't be buying a new one any time soon. Have spent well over £1500 on drivers. Complete waste of money.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I'm not sure the shape necessarily makes a huge difference (although square headed drivers never seemed to take off). It comes down to technique really. As for the shape a draw tends to run further so in theory may give a few extra yards than a softer landing fade but there are plenty on tour who hit it left to right and bomb it.

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I think the shaft has more to do with suitability to you than the head. As long as you buy from a recognised golf brand I don't think you can buy a bad club, but some will suit you way more than others and that will be different from player to player.

I have a Titleist 910D2 10.5° with a Project-X stiff shaft and it's no longer or shorter than other drivers I've tried, but it's quite forgiving (imo) and suits me well.

timchump

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
the longest hitting driver i have ever used is the taylormade 580xd, 2003 model i think
its illegal now which might have had something to do with it.

as above i think if you buy a quality brand there won't be much difference in distance,

i use a 910 d2,
i like it as the face sits slights open, (hate a closed face) makes a great sound, i can twiddle about with loft and lie settings and interchange shafts

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
had an expensive 8.5* Titleist with low launch xstiff shaft for mega distance...translate that to pulled low hooks.

Now I have a £70 Mizzy with lighter shaft and 10.5* and driving is enjoyable again, 240yds and I'll reach most Par 4's in 2

Mike_j_golf

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Think it's all down to the shaft, went to foregolf here and the guy says find the right shaft and there won't be 5 yards between any of the top drivers on the market. I went back to a R7 limited myself this year with a upgraded shaft as i like the shape.
Mike

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
I hit the forum average of 370 yards with most drivers, but its whether the ball is in play afterwards that matters.

Chris

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site
TM R9 hit it about 270-290. Did have a TM R540XD 8.5 with a UST ProForce shaft years ago and I once hit through the back of 330 yard par 4 with it. But then again that is why it was probably banned under the conforming drivers rules.........:fore:

Captainron

Big Hitting, South African Sweary Person
Visit site
I use a Cleveland Launcher 9.5* with a Fujikura Speeder X Tour shaft. Hit it with a slight fade and it goes between 300 and 350 depending on the weather/roll.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Titliest 10.5* D2 with a stiff Mitsubishi Javln FX M6. Good drive 260yds but probably averaging out at 240yds. Flight height about right, and with a little gentle fade of about 5yds.

S

Snelly

I use a Cleveland Launcher 9.5* with a Fujikura Speeder X Tour shaft. Hit it with a slight fade and it goes between 300 and 350 depending on the weather/roll.

Of course you do. But actually, no. You don't. I can only assume you are being sarcastic. If not, you are in the PGA Tour top ten for driving distance for 2011 and you are longer than Phil Mickleson, Charl Schwartzel and Adam Scott. This is based on 2 holes per round with opposing wind directions where the driver is used. Pretty accurate then.

The subject of driving distance is a regular topic on this forum. Normally, this comes down to semantics and what you actually define as driving distance (actual average off all tees, carry/roll etc.). However, in this case, the question is slightly different as it asks how far you hit your driver so a comparison with the PGA tour stats above is highly relevant. So again, if you think you hit it regularly over 270 yards with your driver then you are absolutely on a par with some of the best strikers of a golf ball on the planet.

To perhaps cut to the chase, most people have an average driving distance of 210-250 yards and I certainly include myself in this category, albeit near the upper quartile of the range. This is about 40 yards behind the best golfers in the world.

Yes, everyone has hit long drives in the past and some people's Sunday best is brilliant but in general terms, these are the facts.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Of course you do. But actually, no. You don't. I can only assume you are being sarcastic. If not, you are in the PGA Tour top ten for driving distance for 2011 and you are longer than Phil Mickleson, Charl Schwartzel and Adam Scott. This is based on 2 holes per round with opposing wind directions where the driver is used. Pretty accurate then.

The subject of driving distance is a regular topic on this forum. Normally, this comes down to semantics and what you actually define as driving distance (actual average off all tees, carry/roll etc.). However, in this case, the question is slightly different as it asks how far you hit your driver so a comparison with the PGA tour stats above is highly relevant. So again, if you think you hit it regularly over 270 yards with your driver then you are absolutely on a par with some of the best strikers of a golf ball on the planet.

To perhaps cut to the chase, most people have an average driving distance of 210-250 yards and I certainly include myself in this category, albeit near the upper quartile of the range. This is about 40 yards behind the best golfers in the world.

Yes, everyone has hit long drives in the past and some people's Sunday best is brilliant but in general terms, these are the facts.

Spot on

timchump

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
the driver is my favourite club in the bag today my best were 278 and 250 on adjacent holes, averaged about 240

a lot of older people at myclub really don't like the fact young guys can launch it,
to be honest as a new memeber its starting to xxss me off a bit :rant:

i didn't realise there were people out there who took offence when you hit a good drive

do people like this exsist at all golf clubs?

rant over :eek:

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site

Well Snelly You've well and truly popped my balloon!!!
Next you'll be saying that there's no Father Christmas!!

Chris