Driver Shaft Question

Hoganman1

Visit site
I play a Ping G400 10.5* (adjusted to 11.1*) with the stock Alta CB regular shaft. I'm getting older (73) and looking for a little more distance. My swing speed is in the low 80s and only carry my drives in the 185 to 190 usually rolling out to over 200 on dry flat fairways. I've tried a senior flex shaft (a Fujikura Vista Pro 55 R2) but there was little if no distance gain. Any suggestions as to what I should try next? I like the looks and reviews of the new Callaway Paradym. I'm considering getting a fitting and plopping down the cash for one.

Pants

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
From what I've seen (but may be looking in the wrong places), the Paradym has a slightly lower launch angle and lower spin rate which should get you a couple of yards more run out but maybe at the expense of accuracy. That could also possibly be achieved by using a more suitable shaft in your existing driver. :unsure:

I would always prefer playing my second shot from the middle of the fairway rather that a couple of yards further on in the rough.

Unfortunately at our kind of age, we are unlikely to get 5-10 yds more just by changing the driver.

imho of course. (Southern tightwad)

Hoganman1

Visit site
Do you do any exercise to gain flexibility or strength?
Yes, I have a torn rotator cuff. To avoid a reverse shoulder replacement I work and stretch every morning. I feel sure my loss of distance is partially due to that.
The other issue is our fairways here in Charlotte NC are dormant and wet. I get zero roll. I loved playing in Scotland this past Summer. My 190 yard carry rolled out to 220 to 230.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Yes, I have a torn rotator cuff. To avoid a reverse shoulder replacement I work and stretch every morning. I feel sure my loss of distance is partially due to that.
The other issue is our fairways here in Charlotte NC are dormant and wet. I get zero roll. I loved playing in Scotland this past Summer. My 190 yard carry rolled out to 220 to 230.

Damaging my rotator cuffs cost me 15-20 yards off my irons. I have learnt to live with it as frustrating as it is.