Disrespect OR Ignorance?

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
People fought for freedom of choice, and that choice might include not supporting the 2 mins silence. Others might not care, and others might be ignorant of it. I’m not going to get my knickers in a twist over any of them.

However, I will always buy a poppy with however much I can afford. I will always give thanks for the sacrifices, and I will always support those in need.

I’m not fussed on having an argument about it, preferring to put my energies towards supporting those in need.

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
For me, the time passed me by, it was quiet for sure but that period of silence was not identified.
Maybe a bell call to announce the silence and then one to finish it.
But I will say this that a minute isn’t really the only time we should consider this. Modern politics has forgotten completely the consequences of stupidity and ego and how many innocent lives are ruined simply for land grabs etc .. I see at least 4 men in positions of power around the world who are behaving disgracefully and only in their own interests .. it’s human nature it doesn’t just happen on a world stage but at all levels .. so 1 minute is not enough, more consideration should be given.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
We were in middle of captains drive in/putt out comp and hooter sounded and the whole course paused. We also try and observe a silence on the 11th but obviously on a ward like ICU isn't that easy to do. The trust as a whole asks people to pause at 11.00 but sadly there are many that continue on their way. I think for many of the diverse population of Reading it isn't something they are aware off, even less the significance and even though it is out there in the media and on social media it is something that simply doesn't register.

For me, if its important to you then keep doing what you're doing and observe it and remember the sacrifices made. However as time goes by (the Falklands was 40 years ago next year) people simply don't know or understand these days. That doesn't make them ignorant or disrespectful per se, just that they don't have any connection to the event or its significance

pauljames87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
We were in middle of captains drive in/putt out comp and hooter sounded and the whole course paused. We also try and observe a silence on the 11th but obviously on a ward like ICU isn't that easy to do. The trust as a whole asks people to pause at 11.00 but sadly there are many that continue on their way. I think for many of the diverse population of Reading it isn't something they are aware off, even less the significance and even though it is out there in the media and on social media it is something that simply doesn't register.

For me, if its important to you then keep doing what you're doing and observe it and remember the sacrifices made. However as time goes by (the Falklands was 40 years ago next year) people simply don't know or understand these days. That doesn't make them ignorant or disrespectful per se, just that they don't have any connection to the event or its significance

I was working the 11th

The procedure is 1 minute before 11 we radio the drivers and say we will be observing the 2 min silence

All radio calls will be ignored unless they are red (mayday or driver opo .. which is when the train sends a signal from the "dead man's handle")

Then thank them when 2 minutes is up and answer any calls we missed

Brads

Visit site
WHY NOT?
Do we just erase history?
Is this this garbage WOKE :poop: coming in?

You want to force history knowledge on people ?
Should Scots hold a minutes silence for those that fell against Cromwell ? Or the Northumbrians to remember those that met the first Vikings. History is history, and through the passage of time will become ancient history.
Your opinion of it is not everyone's.

And allowing people not to hold a silence is not erasing history, you're simply being dramatic to make your point.

Woke! lol grow up.

toyboy54

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
You want to force history knowledge on people ?
Should Scots hold a minutes silence for those that fell against Cromwell ? Or the Northumbrians to remember those that met the first Vikings. History is history, and through the passage of time will become ancient history.
Your opinion of it is not everyone's.

And allowing people not to hold a silence is not erasing history, you're simply being dramatic to make your point.

Woke! lol grow up.
Would I be right in thinking that you want to change the school curriculum, I thought history was a part of it -no??
Oh dear, what's that expression again?...Oh Yeah, Go take a very long journey!!:love: and kisses!
FYI...Cromwell had a civil war.. you know Roundheads vs Cavaliers?...The Vikings were heavily involved in owning large tracts of land in Scotland, The Shetlands, The Orkneys, the Western Isles and quite a bit of the western coastline of mainland Scotland with a large settlement/town at a town called Largs all taken by conquest :unsure:so sticks tongue out and says 'ya boo sucks'
Have a nice night-doing anything exciting?

Banchory Buddha

Visit site
WHY NOT?
Do we just erase history?
Is this this garbage WOKE :poop: coming in?
You see this attitude is what's causing an issue now. Forced grieving, and worse the absolute tat that is now being overtly decorated on houses etc, it's an embarassment and a mockery of what RD is meant to be. We're one stage away from "Happy Remembrance Day" cards in the shops now.

D

Deleted member 16999

You see this attitude is what's causing an issue now. Forced grieving, and worse the absolute tat that is now being overtly decorated on houses etc, it's an embarassment and a mockery of what RD is meant to be. We're one stage away from "Happy Remembrance Day" cards in the shops now.
No, its attitudes like yours, tell the families, friends and comrades of those who have died on active service this year it is forced grieving!

It is not just about historical deaths, it’s the here and now also.

You don’t wish to take part fine, but unless you know the personal circumstances of those displaying the “tat” then maybe it’s best you don’t sit in judgement.

Banchory Buddha

Visit site
No, its attitudes like yours, tell the families, friends and comrades of those who have died on active service this year it is forced grieving!

It is not just about historical deaths, it’s the here and now also.

You don’t wish to take part fine, but unless you know the personal circumstances of those displaying the “tat” then maybe it’s best you don’t sit in judgement.
I'd check further up the page mate, I did my "grieving" and "took part" on Sunday, and indeed at 11am on 11/11.

You really think someone "decorating" their entire front garden to look like the Somme, is respect? It's a mockery, just needs twinkling lights and jingly music and we're there. It's dreadful, and in no way whatsoever respectful.

D

Deleted member 16999

I'd check further up the page mate, I did my "grieving" and "took part" on Sunday, and indeed at 11am on 11/11.

You really think someone "decorating" their entire front garden to look like the Somme, is respect? It's a mockery, just needs twinkling lights and jingly music and we're there. It's dreadful, and in no way whatsoever respectful.
Why do you care? You did/do what you feel is appropriate, let others do their thing.

It could be their way of coping.

Once again a thread is took off track by people talking about extreme pointless examples to “prove their point”

There is no right or wrong, let’s try to leave it with respecting others, even if it’s not “our way”

Banchory Buddha

Visit site
Why do you care? You did/do what you feel is appropriate, let others do their thing.

It could be their way of coping.

Once again a thread is took off track by people talking about extreme pointless examples to “prove their point”

There is no right or wrong, let’s try to leave it with respecting others, even if it’s not “our way”
1. We were asked our opinion
2. We're still talking about RD, hence it is on track.

As for coping, we know that's not the case eh? It's a very recent phenomenon, the "look at me" type.

Brads

Visit site
I can take from that that you ar
Would I be right in thinking that you want to change the school curriculum, I thought history was a part of it -no??
Oh dear, what's that expression again?...Oh Yeah, Go take a very long journey!!:love: and kisses!
FYI...Cromwell had a civil war.. you know Roundheads vs Cavaliers?...The Vikings were heavily involved in owning large tracts of land in Scotland, The Shetlands, The Orkneys, the Western Isles and quite a bit of the western coastline of mainland Scotland with a large settlement/town at a town called Largs all taken by conquest :unsure:so sticks tongue out and says 'ya boo sucks'
Have a nice night-doing anything exciting?
All I can take from that reply is that you are a teenager. Or have the mental age of one.
I’m out.

D

Deleted member 16999

1. We were asked our opinion
About people putting up “tat”? No we weren’t, you introduced it
2. We're still talking about RD, hence it is on track. The Vikings and Scottish Battles? Again, irrelevant to RD

As for coping, we know that's not the case eh? It's a very recent phenomenon, the "look at me" type. So you are judgemental and how does their behaviour impact your life?

I’m out.

toyboy54

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I'd certainly have history in Scottish schools changed, we learned nothing of Scots history when I was at school

Hmm, wonders what type of school you went to?
Approved, maybe:whistle:?
You've never came across anything about Scots history in anything you've EVER read?
What's the Library service like up there?
They can provide you with lots of reading material which can also help your education on this subject-if you're interested that is;)

OH YES, AND IT'S FREE ( in case that's a factor?)
Give it a try, you may enjoy expanding your knowledge:confused:

toyboy54

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
All I can take from that reply is that you are a teenager. Or have the mental age of one.
I’m out.
NO, not a teenager, far from it:cry:
The only thing I would change in my post is that I should have only SUGGESTED that you "go and take a very long journey", not actually do one
When you say "I'm out"-taking my suggestion:whistle:?:love::love:
Have a nice one!