Disrespect OR Ignorance?

toyboy54

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I have no issue with anyone choosing to ignore Remembrance Sunday or 11/11, that’s is the freedom of choice given to them by some of those who made the ultimate sacrifice.

Those who wish to remember and mark the day(s) should also be allowed to do so.

Unfortunately, you can’t seperate the religious part of the day, it’s been entwinned with it from day 1 and, imo, it should remain that way.

Its one day a year to remember all those who have died in conflicts or on duty while serving their Country, their families and the loved ones they left behind, it doesn’t glorify war, I don’t think it’s too much to ask for people to respect those people who wish to commemerate it.

Very well and succinctly put Paul, thank you, well explained and stopped me from cracking up at someone's post earlier today which I thought was rather insolent and pedantic to me personally!
But, thanks to your wording/ interpretation, I can get over this person's remarks, so my thanks for that!
Tak Tent all:love:

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Remembrance Day also recognises the many dead from nations and religions around the world. People forget that soldiers, sailors and airmen and women from all over the Commonwealth gave their lives in Service. November 11 is not a Christian thing.

I never said it has anything to do with religion I said culture.

It is easy to confuse the amount of nations involved in World War one with the number involved with WWII. However I appreciate that many now see Remembrance Day as a time to mourn the loss in all wars (as I do).

Grizzly

Visit site
It has been nearly 80 years since World War 2 ended. Most people alive now have no frame of reference of what life would have been like and the sacrifices people made. You have to wonder how long will Remembrance Day will be a thing - in another hundred years will people still be doing it and scarcely remembering why other than it being written in a textbook?

Remembrance is not just about the two World Wars, it also covers the sacrifices made by British and Commonwealth soldiers in the Middle East, Korea, Ireland, The Falkland Islands, the Gulf and Afghanistan, and will, unless the World becomes a markedly saner place, continue to add to that list over the next century.

Grizzly

Visit site
Am I being OTT or does anyone else feel the same???

Wholeheartedly with you. For years I worked at a major airport, and year after year the tannoy announcements etc could not have been clearer, yet there were always a recalcitrant few, particularly, its sad to say, from nationals of countries which ought to have demonstrated considerably greater respect.

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
The reason that EVERYONE should respect the 11/11 thing is that if it wasn't for the brave men and women who put their LIVES on the line, we wouldn't be living how we are now. THAT'S WHY!

Also, at our local service on Sunday it was very well attended, but it was predominantly a white audience. This, I fear, will be why it will end eventually. Luckilly for me I'll be dead by then and won't be so bothered.

Ye Olde Boomer

Visit site
Back in the mid to late 90s, while at university, my daughter did her "year abroad" studying in London.
We came across to visit her.

It was November and I noticed people wearing red poppies pinned to their clothes.
I figured out what it had to be without having to ask, and in fact my wife and I did ask where we could get poppies as well.

I was rightfully impressed. We don't have that kind of respect in America.
Those among us who claim to be the most patriotic are excessively nationalistic but not particularly patriotic at all.

I suppose when your war is a "home game," it makes a bigger impression.
Respect.

D

Deleted member 15344

The reason that EVERYONE should respect the 11/11 thing is that if it wasn't for the brave men and women who put their LIVES on the line, we wouldn't be living how we are now. THAT'S WHY!

Also, at our local service on Sunday it was very well attended, but it was predominantly a white audience. This, I fear, will be why it will end eventually. Luckilly for me I'll be dead by then and won't be so bothered.

Please read that back to yourself ?‍♂️

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
Back in the mid to late 90s, while at university, my daughter did her "year abroad" studying in London.

It was November and I noticed people wearing red poppies pinned to their clothes.
I figured out what it had to be without having to ask, and in fact my wife and I did ask where we could get poppies as well.

Those among us who claim to be the most patriotic are excessively nationalistic but not particularly patriotic at all.

Respect.

That surprises me. On my visits to the States I've always got the impression that the military were shown greater respect than ours were; early boarding on planes, being thanked for their service. Or did you specifically mean Remembrance Day & the poppies?

Ye Olde Boomer

Visit site
That surprises me. On my visits to the States I've always got the impression that the military were shown greater respect than ours were; early boarding on planes, being thanked for their service. Or did you specifically mean Remembrance Day & the poppies?

We used to call it Armistice Day and then changed the name to Veterans Day after WWII.

Yes, the military tends to be respected by both sides of America's radically polarized population.
Said military suddenly became more popular when we copied you and ended conscription.

Veterans Day has it parades and ceremonies and such, but I speak more of the behavior of the general populace.
The people all wearing the poppies impressed the hell out of me. It's hard to explain, but I was moved by it.

D

Deleted member 16999

Respect.
Veterans Day is 11th Nov every year in the US, it was called Armistice Day in recognition of WW1 until Eisenhowe renamed it, I realise yous don’t wear Poppies to mark the day, but it is used to recognise those who have served.

Edit: Just seen your post above.(y)

Grizzly

Visit site
Also, at our local service on Sunday it was very well attended, but it was predominantly a white audience. This, I fear, will be why it will end eventually.

I know you will not have meant that quite the way it might be perceived, and obviously if it was a Christian religious service the attendance might be different to that at a Secular act of remembrance (for the record, I stood at 11:00 alongside a Sikh gentleman who took great pride in wearing his Grandfather's medals for the event) . I think it is vital, especially given other things happening in the world at the moment, to remember that ALL parts of the British Empire/Commonwealth have fought in - and died for - the British Army and the cause of freedom - there are countless stories easily accessible in the media of the contributions of those all of all faiths and creed.

toyboy54

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
People have a right to not observe a silence, exactly the same as you have a right to observe one.
I’d take a chill pill and move on.

May I remind you and one other that because so many sacrificed so much that those ? who do not have the manners to observe a respectful silence can do so!
Think I'll leave it at that.
The point has been been made and overwhelmingly agreed:love:

Brads

Visit site
May I remind you and one other that because so many sacrificed so much that those ? who do not have the manners to observe a respectful silence can do so!
Think I'll leave it at that.
The point has been been made and overwhelmingly agreed:love:
Trust me I need no reminding.
I fully support the remembrance and always will , but am aware that others have the right no to, and most of that is not rudeness , but simply an indifference brought on through lack of knowledge.
A knowledge they do not miss and a knowledge that shouldn’t be forced on them either.

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
I no longer wear a poppy for reasons we’re not allowed to mention on here. But I still put a fair few quid in the pot every year.

Like many people. I have some very personal reasons to pause for a couple minutes of reflection on 11/11, and I ensured all of our football teams did before their games on Saturday. We even took the time to ask our players if they understood why were were. I’m pleased to say they all did.

I don’t observe the silence on Remembrance Sunday, because I see that as a religious event.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
We used to call it Armistice Day and then changed the name to Veterans Day after WWII.

Yes, the military tends to be respected by both sides of America's radically polarized population.
Said military suddenly became more popular when we copied you and ended conscription.

Veterans Day has it parades and ceremonies and such, but I speak more of the behavior of the general populace.
The people all wearing the poppies impressed the hell out of me. It's hard to explain, but I was moved by it.

Well Ye olde boomer we can thank a nice American lady for us Brits wearing a poppy.?

Quote;

Perhaps the most famous war poem of all time, In Flanders Fields was written on May 3, 1915 by Canadian born Lieutenant Colonel John McRae following the death of his friend and brother in arms Alexis Helmer. While poppies remain more popular in the United Kingdom and other commonwealth countries, it was an American, Moina Michael, who can be credited with the first charitable poppy sale. Michael had been working at the YMCA Overseas War Secretaries Office in New York and was so stirred by McRae’s poem that she vowed to pin a poppy to her lapel and swore always to wear one to honour and revere the war dead. Using money she had earned for her work for the YMCA, she purchased twenty-five silk poppies and distributed these to her colleagues. Her efforts did not stop there. Michael continued her effort to have the poppy adopted as a symbol of national remembrance and it was just two years before her dreams were realised and the National American Legion adopted the poppy as the official symbol of remembrance. Thus it appears that the early history of the poppy is deeply rooted in American tradition and is not of European origin.

That said The RBL sell wooden crosses, Star of David crosses and Islamic crosses. It has no political or religous views as an organisation. Week last Tuesday Mr and Missis Tash spent the day at the Nottinghamshire Holocaust centre. We took up a box and a half of Star of david crosses. They were chuffed to bits. This last two weeks has been mental for me and Missis Tash. Every night counting money collected from the local,ASDA. Counting £1200 takes a lot of time. I am number drunk. The overwhelming generosity is just astonishing. All of today has been spent taking down poppies off lamp posts. Going to shops collecting pots and counting more money. Leaving pots outside in the garage for a week coz the nursing home has COVID. Been up to Sherwood golf club and counted there pot. Let’s just say have have done very Well indeed so thanks to them.

Our branch is doing very very well, but it is proactive. We had our 100th anniversary ball last month. Done with a military theme.Best bib and tucker. 206 folk loved it. For the first time ever people and companies want to help sponsor it.

yesterday’s Remembrance Day parade was fantastic. It was a fantastic day and once more the servicemen and women woke up today with thick heads. I am sure they have Port for blood. Bro in law who is chairman made his speech. Five mins later I had to go outside for a bit of fresh air.That’s what I told folk, truth is I shed more than a few tears. My sons best make took his own life a few months back. Leaves a five yr old daughter. Bro in laws speech Mentioned Andy Francis in great detail. RIP Franno.

If Counting £12 K up to yet means the hardship of a few late night meals. I will take that if it means that money stops another young lad taking his own life coz of what he saw in Iraq and afghan.

Responding to the Ops question. Last year the branch held a social distance memorial, all spaces ( 25 ) pegged out in the church yard with wooden crosses. Public were advised and encouraged not to come because of COVID. Some did. When we had finished a few hung around most disappeared. We looked up the rd and a fight had kicked off. We got up there and it was my lad who had been fighting. Apparently he was watching the service and a bloke did nothing but Eff and Blind all the way through talking to his mate .When the service finished my son said “ do you have no respect for the folk that have died”. A few women gave the man a bollocking. He was embarrassed and walked off. He waited for my son who Walked up the street a couple of minutes later. He collared my son and said he was going to kick his head in. My son said “really”. The bloke swung a few punches and basically my son gave him a pasting. A load of women saw what happened and thanked my son. He was embarrassed. The bloke said “ I am the hardest man in Forest Town and this is not finished”. Apparently one of the women said “ it looks like your the second hardest from what I saw”. So. In answer to your question yup some folk don’t get it. But most do.

Last edited: