disqualification in stableford.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Hold on. How can you know the points are right? The points are a product of the gross score with the handicap and Stroke Index applied to it. You can't work backwards from the points and say that the gross score must have been X.

Like I said...assuming the points are right....

Fyldewhite

Tour Winner
www.blackpoolparkgc.co.uk
Not disputing the DQ or the rule one bit but....
It is a bit of a harsh rule because Stableford is a points event not a gross/nett event.
If the points are right..where's the real problem?
I know a fundamental of golf is to mark your actual score but as handicaps are effectively based on Stableford, even in a qualifier, if you only mark the number of points is there really an issue...?

PS...not advocating a change in rules at all........

Same sentiments here tbh. Although Stableford is a form of stroke play, many rules are ignored because they are meaningless in this format.....eg you can pick your ball up and effectively NR but only on that hole. I'd have thought if you record the wrong (lower) score on a hole accidentally then a more appropriate punishment would be zero points for that hole. Like you say, to DQ the whole round is very harsh.......but correct.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Recording gross scores is absolutely fundamental to the game of golf.
Net, stableford (or any other )scoring system is simply an 'extra' and must be the responsibility of the organising committee. They can invent any scoring system they wish but it always starts with the gross score.

davidy233

Tour Rookie
www.davidyoungphoto.co.uk
Having been on the handicap committee back in the day before computers calculated your score I never ever put my points down on a card - I reckon of those who attempted it that a good quarter were wrong - used to take ages to check them all

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
Recording gross scores is absolutely fundamental to the game of golf.
Net, stableford (or any other )scoring system is simply an 'extra' and must be the responsibility of the organising committee. They can invent any scoring system they wish but it always starts with the gross score.

Heartily agree.

Let's face it, it's not very difficult to agree and record the gross scores on each hole for the card you are marking together with your own gross scores. At the end of the round it takes very little time - maybe 30 seconds - to run through and check the gross scores on both cards. If you do that, there's no opportunity for error or disqualification.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
Name, date, handicap, tees played (if not already on a comp sticker), 18 gross scores and a signature are all you need.

All the rest is calculated by the committee (pro shop computer) and need not be correct if you have chosen to fill it in.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Name, date, handicap, tees played (if not already on a comp sticker), 18 gross scores and a signature are all you need.

All the rest is calculated by the committee (pro shop computer) and need not be correct if you have chosen to fill it in.

at a bit of a tangent but as you raised it :)

Strokes Received or Exact Handicap required on card?

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site

Handicap gross scores signature and markers signature - no requirement in the rules for the rest, or anything else. Sensible to put others but not rules

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
OK - though in a team format comp I've played in I think it was my exact handicap which counted and not my playing - not 100% sure though.

Doesn't seem terribly likely or sensible. Almost all people know their playing handicaps but are much less likely to know their exact handicap unless they are x.4 and waiting for the next 0.1.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
OK - though in a team format comp I've played in I think it was my exact handicap which counted and not my playing - not 100% sure though.

6-2/1

Meaning of "Handicap"

Q.Under a handicapping system where the player has to adjust his handicap in accordance with the rating for the course he is playing, a player's handicap before adjustment is 4.8. After applying the appropriate adjustment for the course and the tees to be used for that competition, the player's handicap is 6. Which is his "handicap" for the purposes of Rule 6-2?
A.6. In a stroke-play competition the player must ensure that the handicap for the course that he is to play and the tees to be used is recorded on his score card when it is returned to the Committee.

The above would apply in the USGA handicap system. The CONGU equivalent is using the Playing Handicap as opposed to the Exact.

6-2b/0.5

Meaning of "Handicap" When Full Handicap Not Used

Q.It is the condition of a stroke-play competition (e.g., four-ball) that players will not receive their full handicap allowances. Under Rule 6-2b, what is the player responsible for recording on his score card?
A.He must record his full handicap. It is the Committee's responsibility to apply the condition of competition to adjust his handicap.

Last edited: