Disappointing but not surprising

larmen

Head Pro
Visit site
This would be a real opportunity for some company (looking at you, Three) to market with ‘no roaming charges’ knowing that it’s a tangible benefit at most, but a lot of people will/might on it.

pauljames87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Really?

Must have missed that.

Originally on the BBC article it said it (when I read it before it was on here)

Just went on the guardian and it says

New EE customers or those upgrading after mid-July will have to pay £2 a day when they use their phones in 47 European countries from January

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Yup. Had a message from o2 saying that I would get a roaming limit of 25GB a month but if I used that then its £3.50 per GB.

As soon as we left the EU, I was expecting this to happen. I think it will be no freebie as soon as we are actually allowed to travel....

25GB, I could never use that in a month especially when on holiday.

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I use BT sim only, I have 40gB data package for £15 , but this was for when I was living in Sweden where I could use it . So if the costs go up the taxable company expenses will be used, I suppose or The client provides means of contact at their expense.
Got told by a former employer my roaming bill was too high, next trip abroad I turned the phone off, strangely the bills were acceptable after that ..

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
I use Tesco Mobile and this is what's on their site.

No Brexit changes to EU roaming (Home From Home)
Our Home From Home service has not changed. You can still use your data, minutes and texts in Europe as you would at home. We have no current plans to re-introduce roaming charges in European countries following the UK’s departure from the EU on 1 January 2021. If anything changes, we’ll contact all our customers to let them know.

Of course, it may change into the future.

Mudball

Assistant Pro
Visit site
quiet ironic that the EU is extending roaming free charges for another decade within the bloc. Ofcourse EU folks coming here will have to pay.

A fair few people saying... just use wifi to avoid charges. It is sound advice, provided you also understand the risk and take appropriate actions. Unsecured wifi will ship out your passwords and man in the middle attack will clean you out. Read and stay protected..
https://us.norton.com/internetsecurity-privacy-stay-safe-on-public-wi-fi-when-you-travel.html

Sweep

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Amazed it took so long.
In the run up to the referendum I received a leaflet saying roaming charges would be imposed immediately following a leave vote “just in time for your summer holiday”… in 2016.
Funny how we got free roaming years after our European friends when we were members. I work with Swedes and my constant searching for wi-fi and paying for it was a great source of amusement for them wherever we were in Europe.

Mudball

Assistant Pro
Visit site
as the tread says... not unexpected. Surprised it took so long. But with most places with a travel ban, I dont think this will hit pockets till next year.

BTW, when we join the Pacific trade agreement, we may get free roaming in Japan.. every cloud has a silver lining