Direction of the arms in the swing....

virtuocity

Tour Winner
Visit site
JO will probably guess what I've been reading about when I post this question, but interested in everyone else's opinion.

ASI.jpg

Click to enlarge.

If you were to take a standard address position and take the club away with NO PIVOT / SHOULDER TURN i.e. just the arms, what direction do you think should they travel?

a) pink
b) blue
c) grey

If you're a lefty then I hope 'none of the above' is your answer :p

virtuocity

Tour Winner
Visit site
why on earth would I want to take the club away with no shoulder turn? Totally illogical question imo

I don't think you'd want to do that fundy. I'm reasonably sure that the shoulder turn and pivot are quite important aspects to a golf swing. Also, make sure you're holding a club when trying to hit the ball. Golf shoes. They're important too.

I'm trying to gauge opinion as to what direction their arms should or do travel in the first picosecond of the golf swing.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I don't think you'd want to do that fundy. I'm reasonably sure that the shoulder turn and pivot are quite important aspects to a golf swing. Also, make sure you're holding a club when trying to hit the ball. Golf shoes. They're important too.

I'm trying to gauge opinion as to what direction their arms should or do travel in the first picosecond of the golf swing.

and they say some people over think the golf swing lol. Do we get a 2nd diagram for the next picosecond?

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
The blue line for me. Keeping the club out in front of me and parallell to my toe line going back.

My swing used to be the grey line, quite literally, where I swung the club head low and behind me. Caused me no end of issues and caused a very inconsistent swing.

Now, I used a drill similar to this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5LZo2ts4C-o&list=PL8F967851C268C53F

If I get flat, grey line, I shank

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
A - the pink line.

The arms move upwards and away from you over your right shoulder, your turn takes the club around to the side. It's referred to as the "Arm swing illusion"...... and you really shouldn't be reading posts on GolfWrx!!!!

virtuocity

Tour Winner
Visit site
a - the pink line.

The arms move upwards and away from you over your right shoulder, your turn takes the club around to the side. It's referred to as the "arm swing illusion"...... And you really shouldn't be reading posts on golfwrx!!!!

booooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I would suggest you could manipulate it into what ever position you wanted in the first two or three feet. The problem occurs when your left arm crashes into your rib cage, if you don't rotate the torso from there you can only lift them.

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
This is the vid that I posted on that thread back in April....

[video=youtube;_JES-8I-VAk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_JES-8I-VAk[/video]

I thought everyone knew this already...... :whistle:

if you do this drill it's important to make sure you do it with some spine tilt towards the ball and have your shoulder plane tilted at the 'top of your backswing' otherwise you rehearse something that is way too flat shouldered :thup:

Last edited:

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
I really stuggle with this. its like rubbing your tummy and patting your head at the same time! :confused:

I agree that it's a hard concept to grasp as most would believe that we swing the club around ourselves with our arms rather than just lift it up. It's just the blend of the two moves that creates the 'swing', it isn't really a swing at all :p

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I agree that it's a hard concept to grasp as most would believe that we swing the club around ourselves with our arms rather than just lift it up. It's just the blend of the two moves that creates the 'swing', it isn't really a swing at all :p

I look like I am doing some sort of busted robot dance in my living room when trying to get my head around this. :eek:

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
Ok then, try cheating!

Turn your shoulders to the right a little (10-20 degrees) THEN swing your arms. You should feel like they stay very much in front of your chest and if you hinge your wrists properly you should end up on a beautiful plane.