Direction Aid - Legal?

• Thread starter Deleted member 23344
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 23344

This week I played in a club comp with two members I didn’t know. One of them had a ribbon wound around his tee and he unwound it and laid it flat on the ground when he pushed in the tee. I assumed that it was to ensure that the tee wouldn’t fly too far away and hence be easy to retrieve.

However, each time he laid out the ribbon flat on the ground, he laid it forward of the tee and, after a few holes, I began to wonder if he was using it as a direction aid to show the direction in which he wanted to hit his drive. If this was what he was doing, and I stress that I don’t know that he was, would it be legal?

Capella

Journeyman Pro
blog.jutta-jordans.de
No it wouldn't. You can put a mark down to indicate line of play, for example to show a player unfamiliar with the course, what the line is, but it has to be removed again before the shot is played. Rule 8-2 a) states:

Any mark placed by the player or with his knowledge, for the purpose of indicating the line of play, must be removed before the stroke is made.

You can line your ball up for the tee shot, though.

(I know because I explicitly asked for this when starting out, because I found it really difficult to align myself correctly. I used to use the line on the ball from the tee. Don't really need it anymore now, but it was a real help for a while.

Last edited:

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
I would advise them not to lay it along the direction of play as it could be construed as placing a marker on the line of play the first time I saw it. If they continued then that’s evidence enough to take things further.

Benefit of the doubt for the first time, if I was marking their card I would take it to to an official right after the round and ask the player to demonstrate it is not a rule breach and allow the official to apply the correct ruling before I signed the card.

D

Deleted member 23344

Thanks both. As I said, I’m not sure if he was, but good to know the ruling.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Thanks both. As I said, I’m not sure if he was, but good to know the ruling.

It shouldn't be positioned in any direction consistently. Either there should be a random element to it's positioning or it should be wound to a circle.

In using such a device the onus is on the player to ensure that he couldn't be assisted rather than any requirement to prove that he was.

Last time I looked it remained the only difference between the R&A version of the rules and the USGA one (where it is explicitly banned)

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I have never played there so do not know for certain but I was once told it is one of the difference in rules in the USA, he reckoned players were not allowed to have strings on the tees in case they used them in the way mentioned.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I have never played there so do not know for certain but I was once told it is one of the difference in rules in the USA, he reckoned players were not allowed to have strings on the tees in case they used them in the way mentioned.
play in the US a lot and never seen this.

D

Deleted member 23344

It was clear that one possible purpose was to stop the tee flying off and, had I asked, he would have surely said that was the purpose whether it was true or not. Added to which, I wasn’t sure whether using it as an aid (if that is what he was doing and I can’t be sure) was against the rules anyway ... hence my question on here.

cookelad

Tour Winner
Visit site
It was clear that one possible purpose was to stop the tee flying off and, had I asked, he would have surely said that was the purpose whether it was true or not. Added to which, I wasn’t sure whether using it as an aid (if that is what he was doing and I can’t be sure) was against the rules anyway ... hence my question on here.

Yep, sounds like he's worried about losing his only tee-peg to me, God forbid he might have to buy another, but that he's also realised he can use it as a directional aid.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site

Just realised this was still live -

The rule you are looking for lies in appendix IV Section 1 and an FAQ associated with it.

Q.

Can I use a conforming tee which is connected to other conforming tees by a length of cord or string?

A.

Yes. Multiple conforming tees connected by a length of cord or string are not a breach of the tee definition under The R&A’s interpretation. However, if the player were to use the cord or string to aid his alignment, he would be in breach of Rule 8-2a

Note the specific reference to the R&A's interpretation. As I referenced earlier I believe the USGA have a different interpretation altogether.

Hope this helps.