Difference in car dealers experience

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I have found the new breed of car dealerships that look like gym palaces are generally rubbish. The smaller old school dealer has always given excellent service. As a result, I never deal with the big multi brand chains and stick to the single brand dealers.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
My Mercedes has been to the main dealer once, for a service the previous owner had pre paid for. It will never go again. They are so up themselves, for the opportunity for a youth opportunity kid to service my car at extreme money. No chance. I would rather pay someone who knows what they are doing, and isn't an infractionable descriptive word to do with self pleasure.

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
Picked up the wifes new car yesterday just before they shut at 6pm. We had a appointment for handover at 10:30am and got a call as we were walking In to say there had been a delay in transit. So new time would be about 5pm manager came out and apologised, he offered us any car we wanted to take away all day to have some fun in. Just took the same as we had ordered but in different colour. point being porsche are by far the best dealer ive dealt with.
Now onto land rover bought my defender soon as they came out, had to go back in after a few weeks with faults to the new privi pro system. New system so i know faults are probably going to happen but its how you deal with them. Ended up arguing with the woman at the customer service cause she was really rude. Manager didnt really say much and then got the car back and it had more faults that before. Told them i needed a replacement car while mine was getting fixed for the second time and was told no but 3 other people i know got one from the land rover defender forum but because i dont have a youtube review chanel i dont get a courtesy car. I do love my defender but I absolutely hate land rover customer service and will never buy another land rover again. Thinking about selling the defender now for a Porsche suv. Anyone had very good or very bad experience with dealers ?
View attachment 33371
View attachment 33370

We went over to Porsche today to look at the Macan for the wife. Got there at half 11 this morning, left at 5pm. Test drive was "here's the keys to the Macan GTS, off you go and let us know what you think." Brilliant way to do it.
But it was a Python Green 718 Cayman S that caught here eye in the end and the test drive was brilliant. My M340i is still faster an more raw but the Cayman is a great wee roadster.
Looks like we have a winner that's not a dog ugly Macan.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
We went over to Porsche today to look at the Macan for the wife. Got there at half 11 this morning, left at 5pm. Test drive was "here's the keys to the Macan GTS, off you go and let us know what you think." Brilliant way to do it.
But it was a Python Green 718 Cayman S that caught here eye in the end and the test drive was brilliant. My M340i is still faster an more raw but the Cayman is a great wee roadster.
Looks like we have a winner that's not a dog ugly Macan.

Can a tin top be a roadster?

Nice car though, and yes, much nicer than a Macan.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Your wife wouldn't have been disappointed with the M340i Touring, it's a great car for that mix of power, handling and family friendly. Is thet the 718 Boxter she went for? My Mrs is looking at either the Macan GTS or the X4M Competition in December. I reckon the GTS is an ugly beast but she loves it and as it's a) her money and b) her car and c) my opinion doesn't count, she can get the one she likes :)

This is the option I went for, the roof is just a vinyl wrap as I wanted it black but painting was a) too permanent if I got sick of it and b) too bloody expensive for the size of the area. I love the Sunset Orange paint and the black shadow line pack set it off nicely.

View attachment 33392
Not keen on the grille! Looks like black lipstick!
And hardly 'sunset Red'; more like Fence Rail Brown!
BMs certainly have reputations for quality and in many ways it's backed up. I had a 528 for 350k miles with only (auto) gearbox issues - apart from a couple of 'unique to BMW' ones. It was an early model with Service Indicator lights that played up (chip overheated/got cooked) and (reason for Police dropping that model) would overheat if left idling for a while - the cooling fan (which employed a BMW invented gadget) needed help on the 'big straight six). I crawled home from Essex one Xmas and the under-the-bonnet temperature got up to 140 several times even with snow on the M25! Had to rev the engine, or hope for a mile of reasonable speed to actually get the fan to cool the Rad/motor!
Went to a Audis after that - equally solid (especially the Quattro). Back on 2 wheels (Honda 'Dullville') now!

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
Not keen on the grille! Looks like black lipstick!
And hardly 'sunset Red'; more like Fence Rail Brown!
BMs certainly have reputations for quality and in many ways it's backed up. I had a 528 for 350k miles with only (auto) gearbox issues - apart from a couple of 'unique to BMW' ones. It was an early model with Service Indicator lights that played up (chip overheated/got cooked) and (reason for Police dropping that model) would overheat if left idling for a while - the cooling fan (which employed a BMW invented gadget) needed help on the 'big straight six). I crawled home from Essex one Xmas and the under-the-bonnet temperature got up to 140 several times even with snow on the M25! Had to rev the engine, or hope for a mile of reasonable speed to actually get the fan to cool the Rad/motor!
Went to a Audis after that - equally solid (especially the Quattro). Back on 2 wheels (Honda 'Dullville') now!

Yeah, but be good if it was actually called sunset red. Maybe do a wee fact check upfront before trying to be your usual smart arse self, Its orange. And you have colour perception issues if you think that's brown.
The grille is what it is, better than the standard ones.

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
The python green is stunning in person. Most of there colours like the python green, lava orange and Miami blue dont really show how beautiful they are in photos you really need to see them in person. Had the wifes out today, quick little car and the handling is great. You can throw them about. Wife wasn’t too impressed ?

Miami has been discontinued. So for now the wife has a toss up between Python Green and the Agate Grey metallic.
Wife liked the handling and chucked it about a fair bit on the coast road down to North Berwick. But it seems we might now be looking at the new M440i as an option.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
...Its orange. And you have colour perception issues if you think that's brown.
Doh! on the Orange/Red colur name! But it looks very much the same colour as the fence rails! Are they orange too?
Btw. Not knocking anything; merely giving MY perception.
Re the grille...BM seem to have lost a bit of style recently with their grilles. There are some pretty 'loud' large chrome ones about these days too. I prefer the somewhat understated 'kidneys' even in quite large grilles.
I think the move to (pretty much) rectangular chrome exhaust surround has been one of the best style changes in recent cars. Though quad exhausts certainly suit a sports model like yours. That was something that made the M3 stand out for me.

Last edited:

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
Please if you have a long post, let’s introduce the idea of paragraphs

It splits up the text and makes the whole thing readable.

A wall of text is a big turn off for many who simply wouldn’t bother to read it

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
Can a tin top be a roadster?

Nice car though, and yes, much nicer than a Macan.

Two seats, mid engined, go kart-esque... yep that's roadster enough for me ?.

The Macan is just awful, the front end looks like two cars been jammed together.
Porsche guy wasn't chuffed when I said it was the German Fiat Multipla ?

Tiger man

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
We have a winner of the passive brag thread of the year! Nice cars guys, not sure my stable of a 10 year old skoda and 12 year old combo van will cut the mustard here:LOL:

OnTour

Head Pro
Visit site
Your wife wouldn't have been disappointed with the M340i Touring, it's a great car for that mix of power, handling and family friendly. Is thet the 718 Boxter she went for? My Mrs is looking at either the Macan GTS or the X4M Competition in December. I reckon the GTS is an ugly beast but she loves it and as it's a) her money and b) her car and c) my opinion doesn't count, she can get the one she likes :)

This is the option I went for, the roof is just a vinyl wrap as I wanted it black but painting was a) too permanent if I got sick of it and b) too bloody expensive for the size of the area. I love the Sunset Orange paint and the black shadow line pack set it off nicely.

View attachment 33392

Auto BOX? love the new style BM finally a modern car :) new dash best move forward.

Fade and Die

Medal Winner
Visit site
This is not a dig at anyone in particular, so please no one take offence but I’m really curious about the people you meet on forums. Ive seen it for years and i don’t really go on many forums but there’s definitely a completely different mindset from the wealthy and the poor and ill try and explain my experience.

So other forums ive seen this where people are jealous of people doing well and will hate on them or just make the usual smart arse comments are the gold forums. Joined one of them years ago to learn about stacking bullion, you get the photo section people show what they buy everyone is happy getting along, then the guy with the biggest stack starts to get hated on when he shows his stack why ? Why are people threatened by someone who has more than them ?

Another great example, watch forums. Everyone showing there collection everyone happy to see what photos then someone comes along and wants to buy there first watch and its a 6 figure watch and he just gets absolutely trolled from the people on the forums who are not at that level and funnily enough the real wealthy ones on the watch forums are only too happy to help the new member.

I have only ever been on one forum were that doesn’t exist and thats the oud forum. Anyone unfamiliar with oud. Its a essential oil and people wear it as fragrance myself included. To get into oud your probably looking at minimum 20/30k to get a feel for what regions you like and then its a seriously expensive hobby to get into. High end stuff is around 5k for just 3ml so you can literally have 400/500 worth of fragrance on you in a day But on that forum no one makes nasty comments everyone is genuinely happy for each other. The oud community is largely comprised of muslims and im not sure if there just raised differently and have better values but there doesn’t seem to be any jealousy.

So this is my final post on the forum, I don't like to engage with any negative people in life and wish you all well.

This is the internet son I think you need to be a little less sensitive.

Status
Not open for further replies.