Destruct my swing please

shewy

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Shot a couple of vids in the wind and dank today! First one is pretty dark and the second through a net as the teaching bay was busy.
Basically I hit it very high,reasons please. I know my stance is too wide other than that I'm open to ideas.
FWIW i'm hitting my 3 wood as far as my driver at the minute, the RBZ 3 wood vs a cleveland classic 290 9.0 reg flex. MOre loft perhaps?

http://youtu.be/hhIgdcL137M

http://youtu.be/wpxFvNIzwUA

Sorry they are so long, went 7 iron,hybrid, 3 wood, the driver was cut off for some reason so may and try and et that done tom.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Pretty good swing.
Id like to see you keep your weight a bit more in between your feet. It looks to me like you get the weight on the outside of your right foot at the top of the backswing letting the head move. Try and keep the weight on the inside of your right foot.
Also if you could lift your hands up at address, that would give you more space to swing down and through.
Finally, ease off the power a touch to help improve your balance.

So, lift the hands at address and with a smooth swing, keep the weight more centred.

A

Alex1975

At address your knees point out, it's not a very athletic position to start in and leaves you a lot to do to get your tummy facing the target at impact.

http://perfectgolfswingreview.net/ScottAddressPosition.jpg

I just googled this image, there are loads but this will do.

Hope it helps.

Edit: in the first video at 1.04 you make a move with your right knee but then let it go back, that is more the position that you might try.

Last edited:

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
^
^
^
I don't agree, I think his set up looks great, just a tad wide perhaps. The 'off the horse' look as very fashionable right now :D.... and far better than being knock knee'd.

There's a bit of a reverse going on in the backswing, the hips move to the right whilst the head is trying to stay over the ball, this is stage 1 of the reverse pivot.

here's a pic.....[click picture to enlarge]
rev1.jpg

If you look at what people get taught compared to what the pros do.....[click picture to enlarge]

here's you....
rev2.jpg

and here's what Nicklaus, Hogan, Tiger (and some stack & tilt fella) do......

left.jpg

you can see that the weight doesn't stack over the right leg (as yours and the so called 'pro' in the picture do) the right leg is actually inclined TOWARDS THE TARGET. You are like the guy on the left of these pics..... sorry 'bout that :D

Last edited:

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
^
^
^
I don't agree, I think his set up looks great, just a tad wide perhaps. The 'off the horse' look as very fashionable right now :D.... and far better than being knock knee'd.

There's a bit of a reverse going on in the backswing, the hips move to the right whilst the head is trying to stay over the ball, this is stage 1 of the reverse pivot.

here's a pic.....[click picture to enlarge]
View attachment 3224

If you look at what people get taught compared to what the pros do.....[click picture to enlarge]

here's you....
View attachment 3227

and here's what Nicklaus, Hogan, Tiger (and some stack & tilt fella) do......

View attachment 3225

you can see that the weight doesn't stack over the right leg (as yours and the so called 'pro' in the picture do) the right leg is actually inclined TOWARDS THE TARGET. You are like the guy on the left of these pics..... sorry 'bout that :D

My pro (Paul Page) is very much a teacher of the Hogan swing and if the frame that is shown is actually the first move in the downswing then Hogan advocated that this is from the legs, so, one or two frames earlier the body is likely to be much more centered, with the legs driving the downswing. I agree that pic 1 is a poor position but still, if the downswing is started from feet, legs. hips then it should be recoverable to a good swing. If you see frame 4 to 5 he is completing the back swing but the legs are already driving the start of the downswing

hoganmorelines.gif

Last edited:

jdchelsea

Head Pro
Visit site
I'm not even close to being an expert but the position in the picture below from your video I always thought was a no no (perhaps some of the more educated on here could confirm). I think it's what most of the guys above have been talking about.

I think it's termed your right knee collapsing?! i.e. moving to your right too much in the backswing. I've attached a picture of rose and mcilroy at the top as a comparison.

Attachments

• swing.jpg
    swing.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 23
  • swing2.jpg
    swing2.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 31

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
At address your knees point out, it's not a very athletic position to start in and leaves you a lot to do to get your tummy facing the target at impact.

As James said, I don't agree with this either.

I recently read a book that advocated trying to get your knees as close to being over your feet as possible, and then a few days later while I was still trying to decide if it was a good idea read Lee Westwood advising one of the PYB peeps to feel as though the knees were being forced apart at address, which is exactly the feeling that trying to get your knees over your feet gives you.

The thing I noticed from the video - but I could be wrong since Bob or James didn't say anything - is that the grip looks very much in the palms as opposed to in the fingers. In the swing it makes it look slightly 'armsy' to me which might be restricted wrist movement due to the grip. But I ain't no expert.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
The thing I noticed from the video - but I could be wrong since Bob or James didn't say anything - is that the grip looks very much in the palms as opposed to in the fingers.

It's hard to tell without actually being there on the range to check but...
If if the club was too much in the palms, I'd expect to see the hands higher at address. As they look too low to me I'd say they are ok. Good point though:thup:

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
I've only looked at the first swing, but it gives a lot of clues as to why the ball is going up!

27 secs in, the frame before impact....
1. weight is still heavily on the back foot
2. the left arm has collapsed
3. the right hand has taken over and driven the clubhead release a long way before impact (adding massively to the club loft at impact and reducing power)

other comments above are probably designed to deal with the causes of this - but this is what you need to resolve

D

Deleted Member 1156

A couple of things to work on shewy as pointed out by others. Get the setup issues sorted out first, they are very quick and easy to fix. Then the next thing to concentrate on is the lateral hip movement leading to the reverse pivot and lack of drive down and through the ball at impact. As stated, that is the reason for the high ball flight.

A quick tip for this is to try to feel that your right foot is really firmly planted into the ground and as you take the club back, try to get the feeling that tension is building in your right thigh as you resist any temptation to sway to your right. Almost as if your right leg is pushing back against you. Difficult to explain but it will give you a much more stable base leading to more solid strikes.