Definition of a "Competition Handicap"

Billabong_Bob

Visit site
Was hoping some of you fine people might help a poor befuddled soul explain if my new acquired handicap is in fact a "Competition Handicap"?

I'd like to enter the occasional open but not sure I'm able.

For reference, I've never played a competition at my home club, the rounds for handicap being attested by newly acquired playing partner members.

mikejohnchapman

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
The "competitive" classification disappeared when WHS was introduced.

If you have a Handicap Index from England Golf you can enter an open competition provided you meet the criteria for the competition.

Billabong_Bob

Visit site
The "competitive" classification disappeared when WHS was introduced.

If you have a Handicap Index from England Golf you can enter an open competition provided you meet the criteria for the competition.
Thanks Mike,

Some of the club websites still mention the need for competition handicap and thought it best to check. I'd guessed that to be the case given they ask for my handicap number!

mikejohnchapman

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Thanks Mike,

Some of the club websites still mention the need for competition handicap and thought it best to check. I'd guessed that to be the case given they ask for my handicap number!
NP - they will ask for your England Golf Membership Number (was CDH) but if as you say you have a club membership and official HI you should be fine. Remember to read the small print re any criteria!

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Thanks Mike,

Yes you still see this and 'active handicap' as well. Some clubs just cut and paste the entry form from the previous years ad infinitum. I saw an advert with active handicap on it this week and that phrase was abandoned long before the WHS

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Thanks Mike,

Check with the club but they most likely want your Handicap Index

GG26

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I’ve seen one open recently where it stated no more than six rounds counting towards your HI could be from casual play

salfordlad

Visit site
I’ve seen one open recently where it stated no more than six rounds counting towards your HI could be from casual play
If that only means only 6 of the best 8, it doesn't seem to be very much of a constraint to the dedicated handicap cheats.

Wabinez

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Would be verrrry interested to know how they police this! I'd say it is nigh on impossible, unless they start contacting all clubs on players records asking if a particular player was playing in a competition. I'd say that is a lot of admin effort that is a waste of time

DickInShorts

Visit site
Would be verrrry interested to know how they police this! I'd say it is nigh on impossible, unless they start contacting all clubs on players records asking if a particular player was playing in a competition. I'd say that is a lot of admin effort that is a waste of time
In Scotland the Scottish Golf app now shows scores as General play

yandabrown

Visit site
In Scotland the Scottish Golf app now shows scores as General play
Likewise in England, DotGolf allows organisers to see the handicap record of everyone and shows which rounds are competition and which are general play (as well as showing 9 holes scores, penalty scores and for those that use it, match play ones too).

Swango1980

Visit site
Love to know how the competition organiser would know? The MyEG app doesn't seem to highlight if the rounds are general play or not.

EDIT: Looks like yandabrown answered this as I typed.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

That is a bit of a 'wow'

I know of a whole group of players that play in a swindle put in cards every time they play and they expect anybody who plays in the swindle to do the same. The system will not differentiate between a General Play score from a swindle and one just put in whilst playing with friends.

My own WHS record that I can see does not show what the score was in so I presume it is only administrators that can see that. Some of our competition administrators do not have access to the WHS platform. I never had even though I was the handicap Committee Chairman. Interestingly when I look at my score on IG it does show what was played.

Billabong_Bob

Visit site
This does seem to have opened a can of worms indicating a lack of consistent application across many organisations!

My original query was for the occasional seniors open I'd quite like to try having NEVER played a competition in my life and having only just got my first handicap. I'm not likely to figure in any prizes and my sole reason for looking is to play some good courses and lose a few balls doing so.

With that in mind I found the Mizuno Golf Pairs Tours, which seem ideal for someone with my motivation for entering. I asked about the Hallamshire Singles event and they eventually offered me a spot on the Alwoodley event as well for a reduced price. Looking at the Alwoodley rules, they require at least 6 of your qualifying handicap scores to be from a competition in the last year to enable you to claim the prize fund. Obviously, that's no problem in my circumstances and will likely attend assuming they can prioritise an early tee time as I am a full time carer for my Wife and Daughter.

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site
This does seem to have opened a can of worms indicating a lack of consistent application across many organisations!

My original query was for the occasional seniors open I'd quite like to try having NEVER played a competition in my life and having only just got my first handicap. I'm not likely to figure in any prizes and my sole reason for looking is to play some good courses and lose a few balls doing so.

With that in mind I found the Mizuno Golf Pairs Tours, which seem ideal for someone with my motivation for entering. I asked about the Hallamshire Singles event and they eventually offered me a spot on the Alwoodley event as well for a reduced price. Looking at the Alwoodley rules, they require at least 6 of your qualifying handicap scores to be from a competition in the last year to enable you to claim the prize fund. Obviously, that's no problem in my circumstances and will likely attend assuming they can prioritise an early tee time as I am a full time carer for my Wife and Daughter.

As it is entirely up the to Committee of a competition to determine the Terms of the Competition - the regulations under which the particular competition will be played - there can be a wide variety of conditions set by Committees. It's not really a matter of inconsistent application.

The Hallamshire event rule about 6 counting scores from competitions does, however, indicate a certain lack of confidence in the integrity of players when returning general play scores. Perhaps its Committee has good reason for that.

Billabong_Bob

Visit site
As it is entirely up the to Committee of a competition to determine the Terms of the Competition - the regulations under which the particular competition will be played - there can be a wide variety of conditions set by Committees. It's not really a matter of inconsistent application.

The Hallamshire event rule about 6 counting scores from competitions does, however, indicate a certain lack of confidence in the integrity of players when returning general play scores. Perhaps its Committee has good reason for that.

An imprudent use of the language, methinks.

The Mizuno Pairs events appear to be organised external to the courses they are taking part on, presumably making it commercially attractive for the venue. For instance, they have a couple of days at Royal Dornoch! The premise appears to be to get golfers to these venues who would not normally be inclined for a variety of reasons. The attraction for me being the informality, availability and affordability for the quality of courses involved.

The organisers have obviously chosen to differentiate between the occasional and uncompetitive, such as myself, and the trophy hunters looking for the not inconsiderable prize funds available and quite rightly made that a conditions of entry.

Anyone organising a competition absolutely has the justification to apply whatever condition of entry they deem fit. The point I was making is that the communication of those conditions seem to be a little hit and miss from the other replies. I am by no means a novice golfer but am completely new to the terminology and practices involved in the world of golfing competition. I'm sure I will become more adept in the next 30 years!

Banchory Buddha

Visit site
Odd - I got our handicap convenor to check somebody’s handicap record and it showed all their scores
If he was an away member then you can do this.

Are you meaning a visitor who has since been added to your system as a "guest member"? (ie not a member of your club) yes you can check that, but you can't check it via the CDH look-up, so if you don't have a players first/last name, correct email, and DoB to then add them as a guest member, then you can't look up the in depth record. And you absolutely cannot do this through the SG App as a member themselves.