Declining a Wedding Invitation

3offTheTee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Had an invite to a wedding a very good friends son. We have not seen him for over 8 years’ and we declined the christening of his only child 5 years‘ago.

We do not want to go for the following reasons:
1. It is a round trip of 6 hours and not averse to an overnight stay, see below.
2 . It is on a Saturday which is a Comp Day. My Mrs does not really want to go although the father and mother of the groom are friends of us both.
3 . We will have been away to Scotland for 10 nights the month before.
4. We will have had a weekend away golfing the week before the wedding.

Need to think up a good excuse and consider sending a cheque.

Any thoughts on a good excuse and reasonable amount of cheque. I have a figure in mind.

RichA

Visit site
Mrs A likes to decline invitations. I always tell her one good reason sounds a lot more honest than a list of fanciful ones. Not that I'm always right. Not that she always takes any notice.
We certainly get invited to fewer things than we used to.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
Just say that you are sorry that you won't be able to attend, but that you wish the happy couple all the best. Send a gift, if possible rather than a cheque, but with a gift receipt at a respectable store, Fortnum and Mason, John Lewis, Asda or Poundland according to the social standing of the couple.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
No excuse needed

Sorry unable to attend

Send a card with a cheque if you wish ..

I did for my cousin's wedding when she got married in Italy. Much cheaper than the flights lol but we were expecting out first child at time

Pants

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Just politely decline but do ask if there is a wedding gift list. Often couples will open a "gift account" at a large store and putting money into that would be far preferable (imo) than just sending a cheque.

Visit site
Had an invite to a wedding a very good friends son. We have not seen him for over 8 years’ and we declined the christening of his only child 5 years‘ago.

We do not want to go for the following reasons:
1. It is a round trip of 6 hours and not averse to an overnight stay, see below.
2 . It is on a Saturday which is a Comp Day. My Mrs does not really want to go although the father and mother of the groom are friends of us both.
3 . We will have been away to Scotland for 10 nights the month before.
4. We will have had a weekend away golfing the week before the wedding.

Need to think up a good excuse and consider sending a cheque.

Any thoughts on a good excuse and reasonable amount of cheque. I have a figure in mind.
I'd be upfront and go with Number 2. You can suggest splitting your winnings as a gesture of goodwill :)

Bazzatron

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Why give them anything? I am not a fan of the expectation around weddings.

The first time I was invited to a non Sikh wedding and there was little poem at the bottom asking for cash instead of gifts I was blown away. I couldn't believe what I was reading, just wasn't used to seeing something like that. I of course was going to take a gift but was just shocked to be asked for one.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Bazzatron.
I think times have changed massively. In the olden days a gift was the norm. We got three pressure cookers for our wedding presents. Missis T even had a bottom drawer for things she was putting in the house. I think she started collecting before she met me.
Nowadays, many couples live together for years and have everything they already want in the house so a financial gift is now more the norm.
Me and Missis Have been invited to a wedding for next month and they have asked for brass to help towards there honeymoon.
New York and Mexico has now been changed to a week in Brighton.

Jamesbrown

Head Pro
Visit site
Just decline. Your on holiday . ;)

I overheard the date of my lasses sisters wedding before I was actually told or invited.
quickly arranged a trip to Amendoeira golf resort with a mate and when our lass showed me the invite unfortunately I had to bare some bad news. I’m not in the country.

It was a fantastically executed plan as it was planned that my lass would be on babysitting duties and the kid would be in the same room as us. :eek:

Now I was accused of doing it on purpose to get out of going but that couldn’t be the case as it was the first I’d heard of it.