Declaring a ball lost

freddielong

Tour Winner
www.garbtherapy.com
I understand what you are trying to say this but I don't think it would work as it would be to easy to abuse as you would have to much information whilst trying to make a decision, follow the below scenario

Golfer A hits a tee shot on a hole into some gorse he then hits a provisional (the ball that under your idea would be the ball in play should he decide to go back to the tee for an unplayable) that also goes into the gorse, when he gets to the spot he hit his first ball he sees the ball in a bush and weighs up his options. normally these would be play it as it lies, go back as far as you want keeping the position the ball is in in line with the flag and drop under penalty of 1 shot, drop within two club lengths no nearer the hole under penalty or go back to the tee under penalty.

Ordinarily his best option may have been to go back to the tee but he knows how this turns out as he has already played it so he will discount this option and may instead choose to drop in a slightly less dodgier lie hack it out on to the fairway and then play on, an option he would not have chosen if his provisional was down the fairway.

atticusfinch

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Very confused. I do not understand the discussion about the provisional being the stroke and distance ball for an unplayable ball under rule 28. That is just not done...under any circumstance.

Last edited:

North Mimms

Tour Winner
Visit site
Very confused. I do not understand the discussion about the provisional being the stroke and distance ball for an unplayable ball under rule 28. That is just not done...under any circumstance.

Most of us know that, just delc (who likes to suggest rule changes he would like) suggested it.
Confusion reigns

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Under Decision 27/11 (provisional ball not distinguishable from original ball), you do have a choice of which ball to play, as long as you take the stroke and distance penalty, so it is an analogous situation. :)

No it's bloody not! :rolleyes: It's a coincidence! :rant:

Stick to the (Declaring a ball lost) Topic! Or, better still, take my suggestion about refraining from posting about Rules!