Deciding on clubs

Going to go to the America golf and affordable golf stores tomorrow to have a good look at the putters and also some bags. Think ill go with a trolley bag. Do i need to make sure its waterproof or doesn’t that really matter ?

Visit site
I live in clarkston, so looking at clubs round that way. williamwood and cathcart castle but pro said today im probably betting joining mearns castle for first 6/12 months as its aimed more at beginner. So probably go up there tomorrow and have a look about.
I was checking it out the other week - have to be a member to get a game but setup good and they have a decent range. I’m starting lessons next week too. Let me know if you fancy a round some time.

Sekiro

Visit site
Going to go to the America golf and affordable golf stores tomorrow to have a good look at the putters and also some bags. Think ill go with a trolley bag. Do i need to make sure its waterproof or doesn’t that really matter ?

You live in Scotland, I’d be going waterproof if I were you :p

got a new bag, putter, shoes , umbrella and a pre owned i15 3 wood guy said it was closest he had to the g15 irons i have. was in affordable golf guy said they had no trolleys at all. So still need one of them plus trousers tops ect0C9700A4-734B-4347-A37A-106CD54DEF84.jpeg
A2FD7D36-9DE1-4C06-BFE4-40CB7F2F245F.jpeg

Looks cracking! What umbrella is it?
Under armour. Wife swears i have OCD or something so I always need stuff to match. thats why i wanted all ping stuff and going to go all under armour for everything else

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Looks a decent set up (not a fan of the putter but as everyone has said and I agree it is a personal thing). What about waterproofs? What clothing you going for? Ping do some brilliant clothing which is well made and keeps colour and shape well

Looks a decent set up (not a fan of the putter but as everyone has said and I agree it is a personal thing). What about waterproofs? What clothing you going for? Ping do some brilliant clothing which is well made and keeps colour and shape well
Was going to get all under armour but ill have a look at ping the now. About trolleys whats better 3 or 4 wheels ?
About the putter picked it up and made a joke to the guy if i put my first go from full length then ill need to buy it and i did lol was pure luck. Guy then stuck a phone onto it and had me hit probably 20 balls. Said it was a good fit and i was very consistent for someone whos never played golf before. To be fair I do usually play crazy golf on holiday if theres one.

Picked up a trolley today and ordered all the clothes last night. Think i just need tees and balls now. Any recommendations think i would prefer orange balls ?

jamiet7682

Visit site
You will lose loads initially so inesis 100 out of decathlon are a good shout. Once i stopped losing loads I started using srixon ad333, will move to premium balls once i play to a standard to benefit from them.

Lost_Cause

Visit site
Second the Decathlon balls, been great for me while learning the game this year. I’m now looking at changing to something that’s slightly more premium (£20-25 a dozen).

For tees go with the castle/graduate type as it will give consistency when teeing up the ball (wooden tees will mean the height changes each time). You probably don’t need every height either, just two/three different ones.

irip

Head Pro
Visit site
It is great to see someone with your enthusiasm.

A lot of people on here will tell you to buy cheap balls because as a beginner you may lose a lot and in general I would agree with them.

In your case you seem happy to spend a few quid without a worry so I would suggest buying a few sleeves of different balls (3 in a pack)and seeing which ones you like.

You will soon work out which ones you don't like and will narrow it down to which you prefer and then stick with them.

YorkshireStu

Medal Winner
Visit site
The Srixon Distance balls are a good shout as a good brand ball to start with, they go far and are quality. You can then upgrade to the Srixon AD333 when losing less as they do have a better feel and spin but not significantly different for a fresh player to notice.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
Most people on here are coming from a very defeatist, clichéd way of thinking that frankly doesn't really work.

Mr Ping doesn't want to waste time using poor quality clubs, he has the money to get lessons and immediately get some suitable, top quality equipment.

With regards fitting, the variances are always extremely small so what's the issue? He's probably going to end up with some graphite shafted, cavity back irons. Is the odd degree or quarter inch here or there going to make a difference?
No of course not.

As for a rangefinder? Open your eyes guys. The sooner a new player starts learning about distances, the better it is for them.

Mr Ping, get the best pro you can find, get the best advice and the best equipment. Not all of us can afford that but if you can, it won't hinder you ?

If Mr Ping wants to blow a fortune on a set of custom fitted clubs with Vibranium shafts, he is fully entitled to do so and good luck to him.

But that doesn't mean that advice to buy something more modest until his game has settled out a bit is defeatist.

If he was an overfed bloke about to embark on a diet and fitness regime, you wouldn't advise him to get that tailored Armani suit right now. You would advise him to wait until his weight and shape have settled. So it is with clubs. I think there is a bit more to it than a degree or quarter inch here and there.

I am sure whichever pro he deals with will be delighted to help him and start a lasting relationship.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
If Mr Ping wants to blow a fortune on a set of custom fitted clubs with Vibranium shafts, he is fully entitled to do so and good luck to him.

But that doesn't mean that advice to buy something more modest until his game has settled out a bit is defeatist.

If he was an overfed bloke about to embark on a diet and fitness regime, you wouldn't advise him to get that tailored Armani suit right now. You would advise him to wait until his weight and shape have settled. So it is with clubs. I think there is a bit more to it than a degree or quarter inch here and there.

I am sure whichever pro he deals with will be delighted to help him and start a lasting relationship.

I agree and many have advised the OP about getting lessons and the dangers of buying a fitted set from the outset.

TigerTime

Visit site
Mr. Ping - enjoy! No doubt it'll get frustrating at times but stick at it.

Good to see someone with the enthusiasm and dedication to the cause. Gives me hope :LOL:

Hit 200 balls at the range today and took the skin off my left thumb. Last few balls were painful ? guessing thats why people use a glove on there left hand.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Hit 200 balls at the range today and took the skin off my left thumb. Last few balls were painful ? guessing thats why people use a glove on there left hand.

partly

what it does mean is that your grip needs working on because the club is moving in your hand during the swing causing the friction and thus the blister

200 balls is way too many in one session too imo, try for more quality than quantity when practising (i know its fun just to bash ball after ball but not necessarily helpful)

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
I feel I should tell you this now. Do you know that feeling you get in your stomach when you miss the ball, thin one fat one or even hit the roof of the driving range? That feeling of worthlessness and frustration. You constantly think "I can't wait to get better and be a good golfer"?????
That feeling never goes away my friend ?. Even off single figures I hate my swing and feel like I never get better..... Strap in because its a looooooong journey.