Deciding on clubs

Hi everyone. Just new to golf, start my lessons next week and have started to have a look at all the clubs bags ect. Had a look around two local shops yesterday. I like the look of the ping g410 clubs and have a few questions.
First is how many clubs do I actually need as a novice? I know i need a driver set of iorns and putter but i see there is a lot of other clubs in between and even the iron sets have different amounts in them ?
Secondly should i get fitted for them and if so can someone recommend where i should go, I'm in the south side of Glasgow.
Finally when getting clubs fitted, do you get the clubs that day or do you need to order them and if so is there a estimated wait time for them ? Reason i ask is i have lessons starting next week split between two golf clubs and would like to start going to a driving range to practice what i learn at the lessons and would like to start using the clubs i buy vs just random clubs a driving range hands out.

GG26

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
The G410s are nice clubs, but I would wait for a few lessons to pull the trigger on buying these. The reason for this is that you will need to be fitted for them (Ping generally don't allow shops to sell you them off of the shelf unless second hand). Once you have had a few lessons you will have a better idea of what your swing is etc and will get much more out of a fitting. The fitting will check things such as your optimum lie of the club, type of shaft and even width of the grips. You should also look at the G710s which are aimed more at beginners.

A good start would be to get a second hand 7-iron to practice with once you start lessons.

RandomReload

Visit site
A few things I’ve found since recently starting;-

You definitely don’t need a driver, I’ve still not bought one yet and when trying a friends Vs. my 3 wood I feel more confident with the 3 wood and hit considerably better shots (basically I lack the consistency to play a driver). I started with 5-PW, 3W and Putter, this was enough to get out playing and I’d played around 10-12 rounds before adding a 5W, since then I have also added 52° and 56° wedges to cover areas where I was struggling with the available clubs in my bag (note, still no driver).

Have you considered used clubs, dip your toe in the water so to speak to see if you are going to stick with it, then at a year or so once you’ve got the basics down maybe look to upgrade a little (also means you won’t butcher the crown on them nice new woods with sky marks)? Although, it’s your money so by all means if you can afford new and that’s the route you would like to go then might as well get fitted rather than just buying off the shelf (work with your pro for a fitting, don’t got to a 3rd party like American Golf). Your pro might be able to give you a few clubs to use, my pro gave me a couple of wedges after a lesson to use to practice the drills we had covered. If you do get fitted the clubs won’t be ready to take away that day (unless you are perfectly tuned to off the shelf, it’s likely that the pro will need to tinker with the clubs (loft/lie minimum) but it could be almost a total custom build if you need weights changing, or pick a different shaft and grip from stock - time will depend on sourcing anything you’ve picked if it’s not held in stock plus build time around other work the pro already has on).

Are you having lessons with two different pros?? Or just having lessons at two different courses? If two different Pros wouldn’t it make more sense to just go with one for now while you get the basics down, then when you want to work on specific areas of your game work with different pros who are stronger in that area?.

I’d say random clubs should be fine at first, you need to get used to swinging the club, setting yourself up with the ball, feeling comfortable going through the swing motion, for this any club should do as the focus is on attuning your body to go through the motions of the swing and not so much the instrument at the end of your hands. Obviously having your own clubs that you intended to play with will be better in the long term but there’s no rush, get used to just striking the ball clean and well first, it might also save you from blowing your load on clubs that in 2-3 months once you’ve practiced a bit no longer feel like what suits you (just look at how many of this years clubs are getting sold by people who bought on impulse but then couldn’t get along with them).

Good luck, and enjoy you journey into golf.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Personally I wouldn't bother getting custom fitted if you've only just started playing! Once you have lessons and practise your swing may radically change and the fitting could quickly become incorrect. I would get yourself some forgiving second hand clubs to start with and if you stick with golf get some fitted ones a couple of years down the line.

Thanks for the replies everyone. Ill ask the pro at the club what he thinks. I am getting lessons from two different pros at the two closest clubs to me. My plan is to get a block of lessons from each pro and they decided what club i want to join and then continue with lessons from them.
I think i would just prefer to get new clubs the now and ive got them, i did get a bit of a shock when I originally looked up all the stuff lol had no clue clubs cost that much.
Open to other suggestions on sets around the same price as the g410 ? Just liked the look of that set and seen online that ping are supposed to be a solid brand for golf clubs.

Sekiro

Visit site
I think the best advice has been given so it’s up to you on how you act on it. I’ve only just started myself and one other thing I’d put out there is that all of the other stuff (balls, shoes, clothing, gloves etc etc) can soon add up and get expensive so make sure you factor that into your procurement plan.

Ping make great clubs, and at £650 you’d be well positioned to get Sim MAX, SZ Speedzone, T300, Mavrik so pretty much something from any of the main brands.

If I had £650 right now to spend on golf just starting out? I’d probably look to spend £500-550 on good used clubs that are only a couple of years old and then head over to Decathlon.co.uk and grab some of their golf clothing/accessories to finish up.

timd77

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I’d definitely be looking to buy secondhand first if I were you. If you’re new to the game and having lessons, your swing will change massively over the coming months, and what fits and works now might not in 6 months or so. Perhaps ask the pro for a basic fit for now (mainly based on length of clubs depending how tall you are) and a shaft flex and then buy some secondhand pings to fit. The ping g series are great and have been around a long time so you should be able to pick up a full set for £250-300. Then, once you’ve grooved a swing and want a full fit, you’ll still get a decent sell on price to put towards them brand spankers.

Of course it’s up to you, but you have come on here asking for advice...

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Speak to the guy giving you lessons. I would perhaps leave the drive out at the moment and get a 3 wood to use off the tee. I'd definitely look at a hybrid instead of the 4 and 5 irons (I swapped and it was a great decision). As a starter I'd look for GI (game improver clubs) with a large cavity back to help you get the ball airborne and help with off centre hits. Putters are a personal club so you simply need to try as many as you can to find one that suits. THe guy teaching you can watch you putt and work out what sort of stroke you have and advise based on that

lol yea a need to get ping now. So i have budgeted 5k total for golf and thats what im happy to spend. The courses round my way all seem to be priced similar, £1000 entry fee and £1000 joining fee. So that leaves me £3000 for everything else, thinking £2000 golf clubs. 100% buying new clubs, do appreciate everyones advice but just want new. So that leaves £1000 for bag balls and shoes ect plus a few lesson.

AdamW

Visit site
I assume if you are getting new clubs you are getting fitted? But that fitting would be a waste of time until you have had lessons and built a good foundation as your coach is going to change so much of your swing

slowhand

Head Pro
Visit site
This may be controversial, but why not get a couple of Slazenger clubs from Sports Direct in order to have a few lessons, and then get fitted for your new clubs? Not a massive outlay so compared to your 5k budget you probably wouldn’t notice the cost

RandomReload

Visit site
When your swing develops in 6 months hit me up to buy your “old” clubs at 1/2 their retail price :p;) j/k

If you’ve got your heart set on new then get new, I think the advice from Slowhand is great, pick up a cheap couple of clubs just to get you into things so you can get swinging, go to the range and practicing drills, then once you’ve had a few lessons (make sure to get a playing lesson or two) ask your pro for a full custom fitting, if you get everything from one pro they should cut you a good deal and will probably throw in a few freebies (gloves, towel, balls type stuff).

These would be ideal and barely touch your total budget;- Decathlon Inesis 100 Golf Set

I realise that golf is a status thing and it’s nice to pull that new set of shiny Pings out of the Range Rover but remember the old adage “all the gear but no idea” you might have the all the stuff in the bag, be dressed like Ian Poulter walking up to the tee but that doesn’t make you a good golfer, my mate plays off 4 and his clubs are around 15-20 years old and his bag looks like it’s been dragged around the course not carried. In reality, aside from maybe the odd one or two, no one cares what you’ve got in the bag, I’m fairly new to golf but the only time I’ve witnessed anyone asking specifically about someone else’s clubs was when they were hitting like DeChambeau off the tee.

Last edited:

jamiet7682

Visit site
Agree with above, nobody cares what anyone else has in their bag, too busy worrying about why they cant hit the clubs in their own bag.

Sekiro

Visit site
If I were in your shoes, I’d be buying these;-

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/254696948802

Change that hideous bag to something nicer looking and then just grab a Scotty, EvnRoll or Bettinardi putter and job done, amazing set of clubs and budget to spare for more lessons / clothes / balls (you’ll need em) / or other extras.

(I’m not affiliated with the eBay listing, buy at your own risk).

RandomReload

Visit site
If I were in your shoes, I’d be buying these;-

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/254696948802

Change that hideous bag to something nicer looking and then just grab a Scotty, EvnRoll or Bettinardi putter and job done, amazing set of clubs and budget to spare for more lessons / clothes / balls (you’ll need em) / or other extras.

(I’m not affiliated with the eBay listing, buy at your own risk).

There’s loads of em bud...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/274467273070

People doing exactly what MrPing is looking to do and ignoring the advice of people on here that are only trying to help, they’ll be on eBay next summer for 1/2 their original value.

Either of these sets is a fantastic purchase as the original owner has already taken the hit on the depreciation (I know some people don’t like to buy used, but it’s not like you are buying used underwear, golf clubs will be fine), the other bonus is that if you sold up in a years time you’d maybe be around £100-200 or so out of pocket instead of over a grand... it’s crazy tbh...