Deciding on clubs

? i used my 3 wood today and on a swing, i have no idea what i did but the ball just came upwards in a straight line towards my head ?

Any marks on the top of the club?
Yes. Noticed a few tiny little scuffs. It was weird trying to hit that 3 wood, felt as if the tee on the matt was really high up and ive not had any lessons with the 3 wood yet.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Yes. Noticed a few tiny little scuffs. It was weird trying to hit that 3 wood, felt as if the tee on the matt was really high up and ive not had any lessons with the 3 wood yet.

try and tee it so that no more than half the ball is above the top edge of the face of the club when its sat at address

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Also make sure the ball is tee’d correctly in your stance and not too far back towards your right foot.

View attachment 32218

I disagree purely based on the way I was taught as a junior where I have the ball in front of my left hand side (left nipple) for all the shots (bar the driver which I edge a hair further forward) and so have a consistent strike point

As far as Mr Ping and 200 balls go, less is more. Far too many balls and fatigue will cause errors (especially in posture from bitter experience hitting a lot of balls). Work on one thing, a couple at most. I usually hit no more than 100 at any time which can take me up to two hours to do and will usually use at least 40-50 to work on my pitching and shorter shots. Definitely think taking skin shows a grip fault

Sekiro

Visit site
I disagree purely based on the way I was taught as a junior where I have the ball in front of my left hand side (left nipple) for all the shots (bar the driver which I edge a hair further forward) and so have a consistent strike point

This is what I like about golf, it’s not an exact science and what works for one might not be useful to another. There’s so much trial, error and try again, the only way to know if it will or won’t be beneficial is to get on the range and practice it. I’m using one length Cobra irons which to some would be crazy talk but I’m loving the one-swing for 4-PW).

What I can agree on is 200 balls sounds excessive, I usually hit 50 and it quite frequently takes me near an hour to get through them. If you’ve skinned your thumb ease off for a couple of days so it’s not as raw and has chance to heal. Then maybe look at your grip as the club must be rotating a little to cause the damage, possibly down to fatigue from hitting so many balls back-to-back (I usually find my last couple are not as good as my earlier ones).

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
This is what I like about golf, it’s not an exact science and what works for one might not be useful to another. There’s so much trial, error and try again, the only way to know if it will or won’t be beneficial is to get on the range and practice it. I’m using one length Cobra irons which to some would be crazy talk but I’m loving the one-swing for 4-PW).

What I can agree on is 200 balls sounds excessive, I usually hit 50 and it quite frequently takes me near an hour to get through them. If you’ve skinned your thumb ease off for a couple of days so it’s not as raw and has chance to heal. Then maybe look at your grip as the club must be rotating a little to cause the damage, possibly down to fatigue from hitting so many balls back-to-back (I usually find my last couple are not as good as my earlier ones).

I have been taught over the years to put the ball further back as the irons get shorter (which has been the teaching trend for a good while) but for me, having a consistent spot for the swing to bottom out makes more sense and I find is more consistent. Fatigue from hitting so many balls will definitely be a problem and aside from leading to swing faults could lead to injury