Debate: would most of you get more enjoyment playin shorter courses?

Would most golfers derive greater enjoyment from shorter courses?g

• Yes

Votes: 46 52.3%
  • No

Votes: 42 47.7%

• Total voters

JezzE

GM Staff
Visit site
Morning all,

We're doing a little debate piece next month looking at whether or not most of us would derive more pleasure from the game if we played more of our golf on mid-length layouts rather than very long ones.

I'm not talking about really short courses here, but let's say something in the 5,600 to 6,200 yard band as opposed to 6,600 and above.

Any comments greatly appreciated (within reason of course...!)

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
I think much depends on the layout. A short but tight course can be a challenge to anyone irrespective of ability. Equally, a long course can just be a slog if not well laid out.

From my point of view, I prefer a shorter course. I am not long off the tee so a shorter course takes that element out of the equation and I feel I can be more competitive and play based on accuracy rather than raw power.

D

Deleted member 1147

I think the perfect course has a good mixture of holes, so a mid-length course is probably best.

I reckon a good course should feature:
- a short par 3 that's well protected
- a long par 3
- a short/almost drivable par 4
- a long par 4 (tough 2 shot)
- a short (potentially 2 shot) par 5
- a tough 3 shot par 5
- some open holes
- some narrow holes
- good bunkering
- some water hazards where practicable

If I play shot courses I can get fed up with hitting too many wedge shots for 2nd's into par 4s.
Likewise I could imagine that shorter hitters could get wearisome playing too many long par 4's they can't reach in 2.

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
Morning all,

We're doing a little debate piece next month looking at whether or not most of us would derive more pleasure from the game if we played more of our golf on mid-length layouts rather than very long ones.

I'm not talking about really short courses here, but let's say something in the 5,600 to 6,200 yard band as opposed to 6,600 and above.

Any comments greatly appreciated (within reason of course...!)

The course I play is just over 5500 yards long, but it's very narrow with small greens.

To be honest, I get more joy playing the longer courses as generally the fairways are wider than I'm used to and I can open my shoulders a little.

Greens are generally quite a bit bigger too on the longer courses I've played s I tend to have less of an issue hitting them than I do at my home track.

Birchy

Money List Winner
Visit site
A golf course should make a golfer use virtually every club in the bag imo. Too much of one thing is a bit boring.

Length doesn't matter to me that much as long as the yardage is used well over the holes.

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site
I like playing longer courses. I find my interest levels drop when playing places that are just driver followed by a short iron all the time. But then again if you made the shorter courses more tricky, that would make you lay up leaving a longer shot, so would keep my interest.

I just enjoy a good challenge so a long course needing lots of good mid/long iron are great to play. But a well set up short course can be more fun due to the level of course management needed. I like to play a mixture of the 2 to be honest.

Duckster

Tour Rookie
Visit site
It shouldn't be about having to bomb a driver at every hole, you should be made to think and play a bit more strategically about positioning your ball off the tee.

However there can be fun with both long and short courses. Take Formby and Formby ladies for example. Both great courses yet Formby ladies doesn't really require most people to hit driver at all. At about 5300-5400(?) yards, it's still great fun.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
The set up of a shorter course is important. To be interesting I would not want a driver to be a viable option off the tee on a number of holes. The issue I have with some longer courses is that every hole is driver then 3 wood, driver then hybrid whereas I like a course where an iron off the tee is a sensible option and still leaves a reasonable approach shot in.

sawtooth

Tour Winner
Visit site
I would enjoy it just as much I think providing shorter didn't mean easier. It would depend on the course layout. For instance you wouldn't want to see too many par 4 holes reduced to a driver and a wedge. In other words as long as it stayed reasonably tough and challenging then playing shorter courses would be just as enjoyable.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
i like i bit of both TBH, thats the good thing about being able to play off the whites and yellows,
Some long courses can be a bit of a slog, but short can also be a bit samey.

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
I play a very short course and most holes are wedge or gap wedge going into the greens,
this has done wonders for my short game,however its hampered my long game.
However its very tough due to the fact that most fairways are tree lined and very tight.
When I go onto a longer course with wider fairways it really helps.
Too long a course can be quite boring and basically more about how far you can hit the ball
than course management.
For me something inbetween 6000 and 6300 is ideal,throw in some tough thinking holes
and that for me is ideal.

Spear-Chucker

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I think on the whole most golfers would prefer a shorter course and it would especially be less of a barrier to those starting out in the game. Shorter courses, if laid out thoughtfully (significant caveat this), are 'friendlier' to higher handicaps and beginners as they are not put off by seeing 450yd par 4's and daunting par 5's.

As folk progress I believe a mid length layout would be preferred as it provides opportunity to hit all the shots and expand skill levels. Design is still important here as shorter courses can still have long, punishing carries from tee's and brutal hazards which, again, would put some folk off.

Personally I like a mid length course as long as the design is good. I play all types of courses (from par 3 muni's to Major venues) and the good ones are simply due to design and I never think about the length at all - it's virtually irrelevent to me now. This was only once I got to a decent level however and wouldn't have entertained some of the 6600+ courses before.

- As a side note, I much prefer watching the pro's playing shorter, more complex, tighter courses where -10 wins rather that abhorrent desert venues at 7500yds where -25 wins. Ughhh.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
I prefer shorter courses but unless they have been sufficiently 'tricked up' then its understandable why some golfers would feel it levels the playing field a bit too much and so any national move towards shorter courses would probably need a review of the handicap allowance

as a P.S
Golfers should be mandated to play from the appropriate tee's on our current courses (for their ability) regardless of whether it means its a longer or shorter course (including mixing tee's within a group) it'll make rounds quicker and more enjoyable

D

Deleted member 15344

The length of the course will never determine enjoyment for me

It's all about the layout and the way the course uses available space to create a great course

Course should be able to test all levels of golfers

Too many courses over the country has tried to toughen their course just by adding length and that IMO is counter productive - yes it will make the course longer but not necessary tougher

There are so many more better ways - introduce ditches , bunkers at appropriate places , narrow the landing areas of fairways , bring trees into it , introduce lakes, harden the greens up lots of ways.

There is far too much emphasis on length and driving it long - that also stems from the manufacturers advertising drivers going long

Make the game more about the skill and approach as opposed to just bombing it off the tee

Last edited by a moderator:

bladeplayer

Money List Winner
Visit site
A golf course should make a golfer use virtually every club in the bag imo. Too much of one thing is a bit boring.

Length doesn't matter to me that much as long as the yardage is used well over the holes.

I like this..

i voted no because i dont like the idea of short courses , we have one local and i just dont like it ,
if i was designing a course id like to mix it up a bit

Par 3's would be 2 shortish ones, one mid ,one long,

Pat 5's would be 1 shortish , 2 mid, with one being a R&R hole , one long brute then ..

Par 4's id have a shortish easy one , a shortish protected one , 2 right out on the limit distance wise , the rest would be very playable off decent tee shots ..

Last edited:

Wabinez

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Just misread the question a little. Question asked "would most golfers.." whereas I have answered the question as "Would I..."

Quite honestly, I prefer a longer course...the reasoning behind that answer is unclear, but I don't enjoy playing a shorter course as much. I guess it is because I am used to a long course, so would prefer to play them. Given an option, I would always play the course off it's longest tees

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site
Being a long hitter i much prefer the challenge of a long course. I think courses need to do more to allow people to enjoy a course how ever they wish.

It always annoys me playing social golf at a top course and then having to play off the yellows 50yds further forward. I want to play the course as its true test. an example i always use (for me) is the west course @ Wentworth. I dont get to experience the test pros do, because off the yellow tees the bunkers dont come into play as they are just carried.

A good selection of tees is essential at a course, and i think visitors should be given more choice (if their handicap is sufficient)

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I voted yes based on the fact I don't think there is much enjoyment in playing a course where several of the Par 4's are out of reach for the average golfer. Personally I would like to at least have the opportunity of hitting every green in regulation rather than knowing that some holes are simply out of range even with 2 good hits.