Debate: would most of you get more enjoyment playin shorter courses?

Would most golfers derive greater enjoyment from shorter courses?g

• Yes

Votes: 46 52.3%
  • No

Votes: 42 47.7%

• Total voters

stevek1969

Money List Winner
Visit site
Mine is 6550 of the whites and 6669 of the blues which i think is plenty long enough for me to enjoy my golf, especially with the wind we get up here it makes it feel a lot longer at times.

Hacker Khan

Yurt Dwelling, Yoghurt Knitter
Visit site
As others have said, variety is the spice of life. To many 440 yard par 4s are not much fun for the average golfer, best to make golfers think, have some risk/reward instead of long slog after long shot.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Didn't answer the poll as I have no clue what 'most' people would prefer!

I prefer a course that is long-ish - 6500+ but 7000 is too long (for me).

It's more about the style/mixture of holes for me. On long courses there's always the option to play off a different set of tees - as I did yesterday. That option isn't available on short courses!

michaeljpoole

Medal Winner
Visit site
my club is 6,300 off yellows and 6,600 off whites. I think anything above 6,000 is ok although don't forget the par. This is par 72. Shorter courses can compensate by being par 69/70

One thing i will say. I think its more satisfying parring a par 4 going driver mid iron as opposed to having a 300 yard hole bombing a drive then just having a little pitch. Yes its still a par but you almost feel like you haven't quite earned it.

MashieNiblick

Tour Winner
Visit site
Agree with some comments that it isn't just total length. Our course is a shade over 6300 but distribution means a quite a lot of longer par 4's with some short ones and 2 short par 5's. Being quite short off the tee this means a lot of the 4's are out of range for me or require a long iron, hybrid or fairway wood. We have no par 4s between 325 and 391 yards. Consequently I hardly ever have a 6, 7,or 8 iron second into a par 4 (talking about off the whites here). I love the course but it is a struggle for me now to play to my h/cap. As my mid irons are a relatively good part of my game I definitely enjoy playing courses that do give me more opportunities for that type of shot.

ArnoldArmChewer

Tour Winner
Visit site
My home course is a par 70 at 6100 yards, not overly long but a premium on accuracy on virtually every hole, mid length courses should require a good degree of course management, if they have that then they ought to be a good test for most of us, personally I am not a big fan of long bash it anywhere type tracks.

JezzE

GM Staff
Visit site
Didn't answer the poll as I have no clue what 'most' people would prefer!

I prefer a course that is long-ish - 6500+ but 7000 is too long (for me).

It's more about the style/mixture of holes for me. On long courses there's always the option to play off a different set of tees - as I did yesterday. That option isn't available on short courses!

Didn't really ask what most people would prefer - it was just asking, from your observations of watching other people playing, whether you think they might get more enjoyment from shorter courses...

Last edited:

bernix

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
i voted for "yes" although my enjoyment of a course depends more on scenery and condition of a course. Length is a minor factor. i rember being frustrated by long courses - because of inability to reach most of the par 4s, but from short courses as well because of the inability to take advantage of reachable holes. it is easier to post a good score on a shorter course and it's a low number at the bottom of your scorecard that puts a smile on your face and increases your self-confidence.