Debate: would most of you get more enjoyment playin shorter courses?

Would most golfers derive greater enjoyment from shorter courses?g

• Yes

Votes: 46 52.3%
  • No

Votes: 42 47.7%

• Total voters

Andy808

Tour Winner
Visit site
Our course is a short course which many think of as easy to play.
It's not though. It's tight, the greens are small and fast, the hazards are well placed ready to inhale any ball daring to creep close enough and it invites players to go for it but punishes anything that's not straight.
We have had the short course championship there in several occasions with the course beating up many a pro who thought it was an easy course.
I have played well below my handicap at courses that are thought to be harder than ours because the are longer but on the whole they have far wider fairways, bigger greens and less opportunities to go out of bounds.
A short course that is well laid out course which is tight with hazards in the right places will punish more golfers than a long course that has wide open fairways and big greens ever will.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Morning all,

We're doing a little debate piece next month looking at whether or not most of us would derive more pleasure from the game if we played more of our golf on mid-length layouts rather than very long ones.

I'm not talking about really short courses here, but let's say something in the 5,600 to 6,200 yard band as opposed to 6,600 and above.

Any comments greatly appreciated (within reason of course...!)
Played a lot of golf in the USA where they use the slope rating system .=== the slope rates the course for your h/cap and recommends what tees you use the tips give you more shots the short tees give you less.==== Most UK courses use 3 tees White /Yellow /Red (Ladies) some have blue comp tees but these are rarely used. ===So for most men its White or Yellow But in the USA they can have six tees and you pick which one you want to play. ===The only problem with this is how do you set the comp tees. ====But for a social game more tees would be good idea but expensive for the club ===If you play with a woman golfer she plays different tees to you.

bignev

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
The course I play on is quite long so I really enjoy away matches on shorter courses because I find
myself hitting more greens in regulation. Also we dont have any short par 3s so its always nice to play
a course that has at least one of these.

Robobum

Money List Winner
Visit site
One of the shortest 18hole courses you could play is Painswick. One of the most enjoyable places to play golf anywhere.

I still don't understand some people's outlook on this game. If you love hitting long irons and long drives - then the range is the place for you! :)
If you want to get the ball round 18 holes (regardless of length) in as few shots as possible - golf course it is!! ;)

CirenBhoy

Club Champion
Visit site
All depends on the layout. If its just a drive and a wedge at every hole then no. But you can create more thought process on shorter courses by having more risk-reward holes, have players playing all different shots and clubs.

cookelad

Tour Winner
Visit site
You only have to come to my place to realise a course doesn't have to be long to be a challenge! Every hole is birdie-able but it's more than possible to run up a big number too, I'm not too proud to admit that my range of scores on our 8th, 260yard par 4 SI 18 (I know before anyone says it), is from 2 to 8!

Driver, long iron to every par 4 would get old very quick!

mcbroon

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I reckon 'most golfers' would prefer a shorter course than a longer one, though as plenty have said already, length isn't the only factor that determines enjoyment. Banging away with driver - long iron/ hybrid can get soul destroying; constantly hitting driver - wedge gets boring. What's important is how the yardage is layed out, not just the total.

I'm surprised at the number of people on here expressing appreciation for shorter courses, though - I'd have thought that with forum driving distances being what they are, we'd all be queuing up to batter longer courses into submission :ears:

HarryMonk

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I think the perfect course has a good mixture of holes, so a mid-length course is probably best.

I reckon a good course should feature:
- a short par 3 that's well protected
- a long par 3
- a short/almost drivable par 4
- a long par 4 (tough 2 shot)
- a short (potentially 2 shot) par 5
- a tough 3 shot par 5
- some open holes
- some narrow holes
- good bunkering
- some water hazards where practicable

If I play shot courses I can get fed up with hitting too many wedge shots for 2nd's into par 4s.
Likewise I could imagine that shorter hitters could get wearisome playing too many long par 4's they can't reach in 2.

This to me sound like the perfect golf course

Rooter

Money List Winner
Visit site
My course is 5960 ish and par 69. would like it to be slightly longer maybe, would like another par 5, we only have 3. There is one hole which they could have done this too, but the tree that dictated it sadly died and now its a normal but tough par 4.

I like it how it is, there are longer course near me and thats fine, but course length does not bother me, much more important is the quality of what you have in front of you.

JamPal

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Come and play Brighton and Hove on a windy day, or even on a still day to be honest. You'll realise that a course doesn't have to be long to be a tough challenge.

I enjoy shorter holes with more interesting hazards and features. Length is often a lazy way of making a boring hole tougher.

LIG

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
The use of the yardage around the course makes a real difference so, one 6300 yard course may be easier than another 6300 yard course.

I already play a short course so a longer one makes a nice change. :whistle:

Alex1975

Tour Winner
Visit site
Our place is 6620 off the whites and just a few yards less of the yellows. I don't play too many other places but our place does not feel long to me and I am a very average swing speed player. That said I play Batchworth a little bit with the in laws and I find it boring as my second shot it usually a wedge round the front nine.

I guess im surprised that 6600 is considered on the long side.