Dealing with people watching you

HeftyHacker

Visit site
First tee I’m usually ok, play me through and I’m all over the shop!

Haha I'm the opposite, I play some of my best golf when being waved through. I think it's because I speed up and don't over think the shots too much. Hit the ball, walk up, check distance, pick a club, hit and so forth. Just have to mentally slow down on or around the green though. Rushed putts are always pish.

My worst golf seems to be played when I'm over thinking or if I'm behind a few groups and the pace slows down, which in itself leads to overthinking.

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
I think you have it in that statement. And the problem is, it's building up in you so you worry about it more and so it goes. You are worrying about getting a tee-time where people won't be there. I think you may now be in a spiral that you're worrying about it way before even getting to the course and so by the the time you get there, you#re I'm afraid that won't solve the issue. Once or twice you may get a free tee time but the rest of it there will be people on the tee. But do remember:
  • Everyone duffs shots, and everyone has duffed a tee shot with people looking on
  • In most instances, people aren't really watching you. They're quite often thinking about their game, practising, chatting or, before lock-down, having a pint.
  • If you do duff a shot, most people aren't judging you. You say you can feel them rolling their eyes. The reality is, they're almost certainly not. If it's someone they don't know they'll likely say nothing and probably feel for them. If it's someone you do know, prepare for the banter! But that's all it is, banter.
  • Just concentrate on a nice easy shot. Leave the driver in the bag and just use a fairway wood or hybrid if that's easier to hit.
  • Try to blank your mind out to just think about the ball.
None of this is easy, but it's something you'll have to work on for yourself I'm afraid.

D

Deleted member 1147

I think 1st tee nerves are good, they make you concentrate on just hitting the ball, rather than thinking about the swing.

I played the Grove's Back on Black competition once, and after the announcement on the first tee and applause from those sitting at the bar, I thought I wouldn't make contact. But I just made sure that club hit ball and it was a great drive, as I wasn't thinking about angles, ball position etc, just smacked it!

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
As you stand on the 1st tee you know that you are simply going to do your best. If you mess up then so be it. You didn't mean to. And everyone standing there understands. But when you cream it straight down the middle the admiring nods and cries of praise will pump you up.

As my geology prof said to his lecture theatre audience on day #1 "Many of you will be very worried about your exams. Don't be. Consider the exams as your opportunity to demonstrate to everyone else how good you are".

That said - as I stood on the 1st tee at Royal Birkdale at 9am with a stinking hangover - with a throng of bystanders watching and the video running, I am not so sure that I was able to encourage myself with 'I'm only doing my best' thoughts. Despite the nerves and everything else - I managed to hit it down the middle.

Pathetic Shark

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I have been in the last group of a Club Championships a few times and loved it. One year I was there with a couple of 18-year olds, really good lads. One of them says with a few holes to go "have you noticed how everyone has stopped to watch us play? It's good isn't it" We just fell about laughing and made the last few holes pretty enjoyable in spite of the situation.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
A lot of the pros will tell you they still get first tee nerves.

The most nervous I have ever been was on our 11th tee next to the 5th green. On the 5th green was the final of the Dorset Ladies Championship with around 100 spectators following the match. "After you" we said "no after you" they insisted. I do not think I have ever concentrated so much just to get the ball off, in the air and straight with absolutely no thoughts about how far.

HampshireHog

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Genuinely it’s never bothered me so long as the watchers are being respectful it concentrates my mind.

Always worth remembering everyone is silently willing you to hit a good one as they would much rather get on the course than watch your group search for 3 minutes in the heather.

GG26

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
It doesn’t particularly bother me now as I know that it can’t be worse than my first Old Farts meet. Duck hooked my drive about 30 yards into trees. Had ten forumers help find the ball. Hit the second onto another tree and it looped up over my head ending up two yards behind me. Ended up playing my 5th shot 30 yards up to fairway. After that with 20 people watching, I don’t get worried on the first tee anymore.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Does anyone else struggle when there are people watching them off the tee? A few of the places I’ve played recently have had people queuing on the tee which immediately puts me on edge.
I’m bad enough if there is one or two people watching and my first shot is almost certainly a duff one when being watched. You can feel their eyes rolling at you as you trundle off up the fairway.

Is there any way to deal with this pressure as currently arriving at a club and seeing people at the tee box makes me immediately want to turn around and go home.

Further to this, if you are booking a tee time for say mid-day, should you have people around the tee box at the same time? Is it not a protected time so you can get teed off and make some progress before the next group?
I would also respectfully say ,you might consider changing your forum name to something less depressing.
Bomber=69 something more positive.:)

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I think the honest answer is that for many people it was a problem when they started and becomes less of a problem with time.
The natural progression of golf is to play at quiet times when you start out and then at busier times later . It is normal at busier times for people to be near the tee, the best thing to do is play as much as you can and get used to it.
Most of us have hit brilliant shots and complete rubbish on the first , if people are judging other golfers on the outcome of a single shot they don't get golf.
First tee nerves are normal for a lot of people including the pros when you hear them talk about the Ryder cups or the first time they are starting the last round in contention. It's something you have to get used to and learn to love or at least accept.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
I've been "announced " on the tee twice..
Qualified for the Lombard Trophy - a Pro-Am - I was OK but the other Am could barely put the ball on the tee his hand was shaking so much....
2nd was at Bearwood having won a GM comp to play in a 5 hole scramble with MikeH, a senior guy from Nevada Bobs and David Howell...
Announced on the tee with several Sky Cameras as it was being shown later in the week...oh, and Di Stewart as she was then....definitely a trembler....as was the tee shot..
That was a tricky tee shot but the trusty G10 put it down the left of the fairway while Howeller went over the trees...

Eagle2

Visit site
You definitely get used to it and are able to block it out easier...

My old club had a long path leading to the first tee so you always had a crowd and with a tight treelined left and right I really used to struggle. I have seen so many others (low & high HCs) taking their 2nd from 5 ft in front of the pegs I just accepted it happens and with that... it stopped ;-)

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
First tee nerves are good especially in bigger events. To me (and I might be alone) the nerves tell me I'm ready to play. I know I've warmed up and worked on my swing so let's go. I was a reasonable wicket keeper and faced a few lads that could chuck it quickly. Work out your first point to stand and wait. There was always that nerves in the stomach. Would he edge the first one. Will he sling it miles leg side. Get ready, breathe focus and go. Same with the first tee shot

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
10 secs after you hit the ball, irrespective of whether or not its a good shot, everyone will have forgotten about it. Maybe 20 secs if its trickles off the front of the tee. After that, all people are interested in is your group being far enough away from the tee for them to tee off.

But lets get back to you standing on the tee addressing your ball. Focus on the back of the ball, remember to swing smoothly and just hit it. All the other stuff is a distraction. Some of that anxiety is positive. Its adrenaline, its what you want to happen and you are where you want to be. If you don't feel it, what's the point in being there?

Think about what you think when you are near the first tee waiting for your group to move up to the tee. Not what you feel but what you think about when you're watching the other groups. And that's pretty much what they think when you are on the tee. Everyone is 'where' you are.

larmen

Head Pro
Visit site
I am fine on the 1st tee these days but where I struggle is when being let through.
You catch up to a slower group and they ‘expect’ you to smash it and let th3m get in again m and there is me skying or slicing a drive that they wonder how could I have ever caught up with them.

So when I play 9 on a usually fairly empty academy course I try to stay away from the people up front, not trying to tempt them to let me through. Within reason of course.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I am fine on the 1st tee these days but where I struggle is when being let through.
You catch up to a slower group and they ‘expect’ you to smash it and let th3m get in again m and there is me skying or slicing a drive that they wonder how could I have ever caught up with them.

So when I play 9 on a usually fairly empty academy course I try to stay away from the people up front, not trying to tempt them to let me through. Within reason of course.
Haha, it doesn't matter how long you've been playing, thou shall always duff the next shot after being let through. That's just science. :LOL: