Dash cams - any recommendations

AMcC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
As the title suggests, does anyone have experience of dash cams and what should I buy.

We are getting one for my daughter's car, a Volkswagen Up

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
It's like anything else, it depends what you're looking for in terms of features.
I picked up a Voyager 212 (NextBase 212 rebadged) from Aldi for £30. It does everything I need in terms of recording everything. It doesn't show speed or location but it will take a 128GB card and works on a recording loop so it overwrites the oldest video and the quality, day or night, is very good.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I find the suction fit to windscreen ones a real pain and often too big.
May I ask why you want one for your daughters car?, not that I'm knocking your thoughts. My middle brother had an insurance policy for his daughter that linked to an app on her phone, and she got money back and a report on her driving each month as a result of real time monitoring of her driving. Of course, if she wasnt good her insurance went up, so the insentive was there.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I have a Nextbase 312gw, does everything I need and decent quality recordings. For about £80 you can't knock it.

This. For £20 u can buy a hard wire kit and connect it to your fuse box

I’ve put them in both my cars and one in my mates car

AMcC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I find the suction fit to windscreen ones a real pain and often too big.
May I ask why you want one for your daughters car?, not that I'm knocking your thoughts. My middle brother had an insurance policy for his daughter that linked to an app on her phone, and she got money back and a report on her driving each month as a result of real time monitoring of her driving. Of course, if she wasnt good her insurance went up, so the insentive was there.

She is only 19 and if anything should ever happen it would be good to have some video evidence of the event. Just trying to build up her NC B just now.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
She is only 19 and if anything should ever happen it would be good to have some video evidence of the event. Just trying to build up her NC B just now.
In that case whilst I think a dash cam may help and give you and her confidence, take a look at insurance policies that reward good driving. It works out a lot cheaper, and focuses their mind.
I wouldnt do an inusrance policy that gives accelerated NCB, as only that insurance co will accept it when it's time to renew.
Been there, got the t shirt with my youngest daughter.
Put her on her own insurance to, putting yours or your wifes name as the main driver and your daughter as a named driver wont work, unless the car is genuinely a household shared car.

andycap

Head Pro
Visit site
My boss had a cyclist pull out in front of him recently , he 'bibbed' him to let him know how dangerous he was , further up the road the cyclist tapped on the window and he wound it down . The cyclist then went into one , throwing punches left right and centre, broke my bosses nose , 2 black eyes , lots of blood . Police arrived quickly and the cyclist claimed self defence ? my boss was in a car with a seat belt on ! hardly the aggressor , im not having a go at cyclists , but these things are getting far more common on our roads and it seems cameras are the way to go to protect ourselves .

AMcC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
In that case whilst I think a dash cam may help and give you and her confidence, take a look at insurance policies that reward good driving. It works out a lot cheaper, and focuses their mind.
I wouldnt do an inusrance policy that gives accelerated NCB, as only that insurance co will accept it when it's time to renew.
Been there, got the t shirt with my youngest daughter.
Put her on her own insurance to, putting yours or your wifes name as the main driver and your daughter as a named driver wont work, unless the car is genuinely a household shared car.

Thanks for the advice, the dashcam isn't to try and bring insurance premiums down, more of a back up and also if anything happens the other side seem less likely to try it on.
She already has two years no claims in her own name so heading in the right direction and the policy was just renewed last week for around £500 without any black boxes or apps, so all good there.

Heavy-grebo

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Another one for Nextbase, even the entry level models are decent quality. I bought one of those Chinese finest off eBay for £40 first but it failed after just a few months.
I think these cameras are becoming essential as some insurance companies don't bother investigating minor accidents, in favour of calling them nock for nock (and thus costing you your excess ) If you can provide film of it you might be protected....or not 🙄

triple_bogey

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Hands down the offerings from Viofo. The A119 models or if you want both front and rear cameras, then the A129 Duo. Picture/recording quality is right up there with the expensive brands at quarter of the price.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Nextbase 512 has WiFi straight to your phone.
My daughter was almost scammed by a taxi that slammed on in front of her.
She stopped just in time.
I fitted two one in my troc and one in her golf the hard wire kit is a doddle for a competent diy er.
But the basic model is just as good but needs to be removed to download the pictures.

AMcC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Nextbase 512 has WiFi straight to your phone.
My daughter was almost scammed by a taxi that slammed on in front of her.
She stopped just in time.
I fitted two one in my troc and one in her golf the hard wire kit is a doddle for a competent diy er.
But the basic model is just as good but needs to be removed to download the pictures.
Digressing slightly, but what are your thoughts on the troc?

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Digressing slightly, but what are your thoughts on the troc?
It’s a very nice car.
Needed something higher for hid as she has arthritis and struggled with the golf.
Very comfortable ride and the DSG auto is nice although it tends to run in the lower gears until you reach a certain speed.
The golf I had got to 7th even at 40mph.
Depends on spec but it’s well equipped mines an se .
Good boot space for a golfer trolley and tour bag no problem.
I would recommend it to you it does what I want it to do in style and comfort but it’s nowhere near a drivers car as the golf was but that’s a unfair comparison maybe.

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
I’ve been searching for one for ages. It’s really hard to find a decent cheap one without those utterly pointless screens.

Would like rear and front but not that bothered about the back.