Cutting down shafts / effecting swing weight

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
So if I change my 10g weight to a 16g weight in my Driver head, I shoud be adding 3 swing weight?

:confused:

Apparently so

However adding weight to the grip (lead tape under the grip apparently works well) will balance this out, every 5g added to the grip is 1 swing weight reduced by 1 so that 3 you add to the head in theory add 15g to the grip and would return to the same

that said us mere mortals in theory wont notice a change in swing weight that much and that 16g might be perfect for you, trial and error it seems

might be worth going to a fitter and asking advise on it and hit into a monitor get all the data

for me I am gonna go for it just because my swing is so inconstant it will be useless on a monitor lol

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
So if I change my 10g weight to a 16g weight in my Driver head, I shoud be adding 3 swing weight?

:confused:

Maybe worth asking your pro if he has the weights, or where you bought it from?

My pro had a weight kit on loan from the rep and he let me take them out for a round. I definitely preferred the feel of the lighter weights but couldn't make my mind up which one. At >£30 per weight it's a bit expensive to start guessing!

D

Deleted member 16999

Maybe worth asking your pro if he has the weights, or where you bought it from?

My pro had a weight kit on loan from the rep and he let me take them out for a round. I definitely preferred the feel of the lighter weights but couldn't make my mind up which one. At >£30 per weight it's a bit expensive to start guessing!
Cheers Gary, I'm more confused by the theory if I start with my 10g weight and fitted shaft that to see the proper difference I should in theory use a longer shaft with the16g or add 15g of weight to my existing shaft. (I think)

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Cheers Gary, I'm more confused by the theory if I start with my 10g weight and fitted shaft that to see the proper difference I should in theory use a longer shaft with the16g or add 15g of weight to my existing shaft. (I think)

Or just play with the altered swingweight. You might like it :)

JT77

Tour Winner
Visit site
I cut my M2 shaft, aldila rogue silver to 43 inches, tip to adaptor, club plays about 44 inches or so, it feels fine, no flaffing with swing weights or counter balancing, just popped off a bit and stuck a grip on, work fine.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I cut my M2 shaft, aldila rogue silver to 43 inches, tip to adaptor, club plays about 44 inches or so, it feels fine, no flaffing with swing weights or counter balancing, just popped off a bit and stuck a grip on, work fine.

just had the same shaft in an M1 lopped the same, lets hope I find it the same!

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Had a chat with my regular playing partner who knows my game well

we agreed 14 degree loft will be best for me.. I was hitting better shots with it than the 12 (which I changed to just because)

anyways cut down the M2 to 44.5, stick the lighter grip on and the 9g weight and leave it at 14

then the 3 wood cut down just 0.25 inches and leave the grip as it is normal weighted one rather than the light.

I used to hit my old 3 woods pretty well off the tee so going to same shaft length as them

Nice to finally talk to someone in person about it aswell! the Mrs just glazes over

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
just had the same shaft in an M1 lopped the same, lets hope I find it the same!

I've done exactly this and only seen positive results. :thup:

JT77

Tour Winner
Visit site
Good luck fundy the shaft feels very stable to me and club sits perfectly behind the ball. I couldn't be bothered with hassle and messing about with counter balance etc.

p33j4y

Visit site
1. Cutting down the shaft changes the swingweight, because of the shorter distance from your hands to the clubhead. Gripping down on the longer shaft does the exact same thing. I.e. if gripping down works well, do NOT add weight to change the swingweight after you cut the shaft.

2. Using a lighter grip (or adding lead) changes the swingweight because of the way swingweight is measured. It effectively tricks the swingweight scale. It doesn't change the feel of the club.

Yosser

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I've never got on with Taylormade drivers, I've ownedtwo, a 13Deg Burner 2.0 and a 12Deg RBZ Tour and hired various models that feltunwieldy and had a tendency to slice if you got it slightly wrong. The only onethat I thought was alright and felt comfortable was an R11 I had recently inTenerife, although at 10.5 the loft was a little high for my swing.
Since then I’ve had two Ping G20’s, a 12Deg and then a 10.5Degand now have a G30SF set to 9Deg and it just goes straight and long (by mystandards) unless it’s a bad swing, even then it tends to be a fade rather thata massive slice and it’s so forgiving. If I do hit a bad drive with the G30, Iwould look at myself rather than the club.
I seem to remember that the Taylormade drivers I had somethinglike a 46” shaft length and felt really long? However looking at the specs, itseem the G30 is 45.75” which isn’t much less but it just feels so much morecomfortable and much lighter.
What’s the miss you guys are getting with the driver? Aslice?

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I've never got on with Taylormade drivers, I've ownedtwo, a 13Deg Burner 2.0 and a 12Deg RBZ Tour and hired various models that feltunwieldy and had a tendency to slice if you got it slightly wrong. The only onethat I thought was alright and felt comfortable was an R11 I had recently inTenerife, although at 10.5 the loft was a little high for my swing.
Since then I’ve had two Ping G20’s, a 12Deg and then a 10.5Degand now have a G30SF set to 9Deg and it just goes straight and long (by mystandards) unless it’s a bad swing, even then it tends to be a fade rather thata massive slice and it’s so forgiving. If I do hit a bad drive with the G30, Iwould look at myself rather than the club.
I seem to remember that the Taylormade drivers I had somethinglike a 46” shaft length and felt really long? However looking at the specs, itseem the G30 is 45.75” which isn’t much less but it just feels so much morecomfortable and much lighter.
What’s the miss you guys are getting with the driver? Aslice?

the M1 was 45.5", ive cut it down to 44.5" for now, it may well go shorter in future lol

JT77

Tour Winner
Visit site
My M1 430 came with the rogue shaft in playing 45 inches, I changed it to m2 but had cut the shaft half inch, and put it in m2, then I cut a further inch off so it plays about 44 but the shaft is 43, had an r5 years ago, and its the only other tm driver I've ever got on with, tried quite a few as well, definitely feel the shorter shaft gives better control and haven't lost any noticeable distance

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
still waiting for the grip so until it arrives I cant cut the club down..

head weight arrived today.. wrong blooming weight.. got a 9g weight for a m1 now lol hopefully the ebay seller will sort this out

if not ill still cut down and sort the grip to put the weight back in the head.. should take the swing weight from a D3 to a D0 so could be easier to hit without faffing around with the weight in head

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
first impressions having hit balls today is its ok as it is though i think id prefer a little more weight in the head, will see how it fares on the course tomorrow

certainly nice to get a proper grip on it rather than the condomesque stock TM one!

Alex1975

Tour Winner
Visit site
first impressions having hit balls today is its ok as it is though i think id prefer a little more weight in the head, will see how it fares on the course tomorrow

certainly nice to get a proper grip on it rather than the condomesque stock TM one!

I saw someone who had changed their back weight for another front weight to add the additional head weight required.

Edit, just googled it and seems lots of people sell the weights.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I saw someone who had changed their back weight for another front weight to add the additional head weight required.

Edit, just googled it and seems lots of people sell the weights.

ah ok hadnt considered that, if i do change it i expect i will give to a friendly club builder and let him do his thing ;)

pool888

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I had considered shortening my driver and fairways about 3/4 inch as I'm away to replace the grips with MCC4 midsize ones, being midsize I assume these will be heavier than standard grips, so by he looks of it cutting the shaft and heavier grips will be a double whammy, do you think this will be very noticeable?

ger147

Tour Winner
Visit site
I have the xr16 driver and when I tried it I also tested the shorter shaft from the fusion, the difference was unreal.

I managed to find another speeder in the same stock spec off line and had to cut almost 1.75 inches off to get it to the fusion spec.

What was funny is after all that it's still only the same length as a stock g30 and g30 sf tech. Maybe this explains why the G range is so successful at club level

Standard length of a G30 driver is 45.75in where as the Fusion with the shorter shaft is 44.5in.