Cutting down shafts / effecting swing weight

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Grips arrived today

I popped down to see my mate (a local pro) in the end I went for..

Driver Cut down 1.25 inches.. added the new golf pride lightweight grip on

3 wood cut down 0.25 inches.. kept the grip thats on it

4 Hybrid whilst he was there got him to put the old grip from the driver on it.. just because it was going to get binned and that was my oldest club in my bag

total cost £5

just waiting for the 9g weight to replace the stock 4g weight and then ill go test it (seller off ebay is sending the correct weight out today so should be here by friday)

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I had considered shortening my driver and fairways about 3/4 inch as I'm away to replace the grips with MCC4 midsize ones, being midsize I assume these will be heavier than standard grips, so by he looks of it cutting the shaft and heavier grips will be a double whammy, do you think this will be very noticeable?

personally not a great believer that grip has that much effect on how the club feels when swinging it weightwise. Have just lopped an inch off and put on a midsize mcc4, head is a little lighter feeling but not massively so

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Standard length of a G30 driver is 45.75in where as the Fusion with the shorter shaft is 44.5in.

Correct.

But, we had a fusion recoil shaft side by side and that's what the measurements come out, I cut off the 1 3/4 inches and it's now the same size as a standard SF TECH

ger147

Tour Winner
Visit site
Correct.

But, we had a fusion recoil shaft side by side and that's what the measurements come out, I cut off the 1 3/4 inches and it's now the same size as a standard SF TECH

Sorry, I don't really follow what you're saying? Not sure how cutting 1.75in off a shaft which gives a playing length of 44.5in when fitted to the head makes it 45.75in long all of a sudden?

Apologies if I'm not following something correctly but that just doesn't make sense to me.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Correct.

Sorry, I don't really follow what you're saying? Not sure how cutting 1.75in off a shaft which gives a playing length of 44.5in when fitted to the head makes it 45.75in long all of a sudden?

Apologies if I'm not following something correctly but that just doesn't make sense to me.

Fusion also comes with a 45.5" shaft as well as a 44.5.........

ger147

Tour Winner
Visit site
Fusion also comes with a 45.5" shaft as well as a 44.5.........

It's the same question tho' i.e. how do you make a shaft a quarter of an inch longer by cutting 1.75 inches off it? And I'm thought the earlier post referred to a shorter Fusion shaft.

D

Deleted member 16999

It's the same question tho' i.e. how do you make a shaft a quarter of an inch longer by cutting 1.75 inches off it? And I'm thought the earlier post referred to a shorter Fusion shaft.
Isn't the club meausured from bottom of face to top of shaft once fitted.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
All I can tell you is if you take a stock xr16 460cc fitted with a speeder 565 shaft, cut that shaft by 1.75" to mirror the fusion length shaft (measured side by side) it becomes the same length when compared to a stock SF TECH ping g30.

ger147

Tour Winner
Visit site
All I can tell you is if you take a stock xr16 460cc fitted with a speeder 565 shaft, cut that shaft by 1.75" to mirror the fusion length shaft (measured side by side) it becomes the same length when compared to a stock SF TECH ping g30.

Interesting.

Is the G30SF still longer once both shafts are put into their respective heads?

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Interesting.

Is the G30SF still longer once both shafts are put into their respective heads?

I didn't compare with them out of the heads, only fitted side by side on the first tee. I was talking to a playing partner saying that o had cut 1.75" from the speeder to match the fusion length, he went to compare it against his sf tech as he was curious, this was when we discovered it was now playing the same length.

He just laughed.

Maybe this also highlight why the ping sf tech is easier to control

ger147

Tour Winner
Visit site
I didn't compare with them out of the heads, only fitted side by side on the first tee. I was talking to a playing partner saying that o had cut 1.75" from the speeder to match the fusion length, he went to compare it against his sf tech as he was curious, this was when we discovered it was now playing the same length.

He just laughed.

Maybe this also highlight why the ping sf tech is easier to control

A standard SF tech is 45.75in and so is an XR16, so if you chop 1.75in off an XR16 it is not the same length as a standard G30 SF Tech so you must be mistaken.

The SF Tech is not easier to control because it has a shorter shaft because it does not have a shorter shaft, it is 45.75in as standard, the same length as a standard XR16 that hasn't had 1.75in chopped off of it.

SAPCOR1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I moved from an Callaway XR a Cobra F6 and the shaft was about 1.5" shorter and it has made a huge difference

Never thought about getting the shaft on the XR. Might see if I can get one cheap-ish and have a go

ger147

Tour Winner
Visit site
could the ping have had a tour 65 or tour 80 shaft in? I had an LS TEC G30 with a tour 65 and it was at least an inch shorter than standard.

A tour shaft is 0.5in shorter than the standard TFC shaft in a G30, so still 45.25in long.

When I had a G30, mines was 44.5in but that's because I had 1.25in chopped off it as I found it too long at the time.

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
Here's a scientist's experience of using a longer driver with a light head

http://tutelman.com/golf/clubs/headweight3.php#experience

The main conclusions, for anyone who can't be bothered to read it are:

1. The best drives go 10 to 15 yards further

2. On average, the drives don't go as far due to missing the middle of the club

3. Surprisingly, accuracy wasn't adversely affected

4. Interestingly, he hit the shorter driver better when he went back to it.

Conclusion: Practice with a long driver but don't use it in normal play.

Last edited:

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
A standard SF tech is 45.75in and so is an XR16, so if you chop 1.75in off an XR16 it is not the same length as a standard G30 SF Tech so you must be mistaken.

The SF Tech is not easier to control because it has a shorter shaft because it does not have a shorter shaft, it is 45.75in as standard, the same length as a standard XR16 that hasn't had 1.75in chopped off of it.

Thanks for being sure I did it wrong, I'll ensure I find the 1.75" I chopped of and get pictures!

ger147

Tour Winner
Visit site
Thanks for being sure I did it wrong, I'll ensure I find the 1.75" I chopped of and get pictures!

I didn't say anything about you doing anything wrong.

I am simply pointing out that your statement about an SF tech being easier to control due to its shaft length is not true as the SF Tech has one of the longest shafts currently on the market. It is longer as standard that the latest TM M1/M2, the GBB Epic drivers, the Titleist 917 drivers, the Cobra F7 etc.

The XR16 and Ping G range (and before the G30, G25) are in the minority now still being made at 45.75in as standard.

I also have no idea what playing length your chopped driver is now but if you have chopped 1.75in off a standard XR16 then that would make its playing length 44in. If that's the case it's not the same length as a standard G30 SF Tech. If it's the same length as your PP's SF Tech then his driver isn't standard length.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Shaft cut

light weight grip on

head weight arrives and bamn weight won't come out.. thread of screw all gone trying and tried a removal bit didn't work made it more stuck

went down range it hit decent enough.. similar distance but all in same place

Got swing weight checked by the shop

somehow d3?!!! So will leave at that lol

dumb luck

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Bit of an update.. indifferent results on the course... had a few good drives with it like this.. much more of a fairway finder but putting it back up to 14 at time of cutting adding a lesson on top of this last week has seemed to have me sending my drives very high with a fade.. (we had been working on opening the clubface at address) anyways I went the range today with a mate to try his new driver.. again very high fade lost a lot of distance so cranked the loft down to 10 degree. (opens the face by 2* apparently) I proceeded to hit 10 constantly straight drives.. the first 20 yards further than the furthered with the 14.. and by the end I was 30 yards further

going to keep with it and see how it goes