Cutting across the course

G1z1

Visit site
What’s the deal with cutting across the course at your club ? At my last club east ren it wasn’t aloud but obviously someone people would still do it and jump from 5th to 13th. I managed to get the first tee time this morning 8am at my new club and I had to be in the car for 10am to get in town for 10:30am. So tee off and I usually play quite fast can do east ren in 1h50min. Get to the 9th at 9am and noticed a 3 ball has just appeared on the 10th. So try to make eye contact as the 9th goes past the 10th tee box and I say hello hoping they will say on you go but they barely said hello it was more of a grunt as two of them sat in there mobility scooters. So I just walked off after 9 as it was clear they were not letting me through even through they jumped the course.

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
Is it a 2 tee start?
had they played the 9th before you got there?

In which case they are perfectly entitled to do so

But as a slower group, they should have let you through

General rule of thumb, cutting across the course is fine as long as you dont slow other groups down

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Our course you are not allowed to cut in early in the morning as the greenkeepers have priority. Rest of the time is fine but those playing a full round have priority. ie don't cut in in front of people.
Some folk are more courteous than others.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
People do it at our club 4th green to 12th tee (particularly in the evening) but they really should check across the road about the state of the 11th.

When I play our 9 hole course I often jump around all over the place but will always do it with due courtesy.

G1z1

Visit site
Is it a 2 tee start?
had they played the 9th before you got there?

In which case they are perfectly entitled to do so

But as a slower group, they should have let you through

General rule of thumb, cutting across the course is fine as long as you dont slow other groups down
The two guys on the mobility scooters we’re waiting on the tee box and as I was putting on the 9th another guy appeared from the path and joined them and they started hitting there balls. When I seen them tee off I thought there not letting me through.

phillarrow

Visit site
Is it still the case that solo players don't have the right to expect to be called through?

I'm not sure where I've got this from, but I have a vague memory of some kind of hierarchy here i.e. a 4 ball should call a 3 ball through if they are holding them up, a 3 ball should call a 2 ball through, but a solo player has no 'rights'? Is that a thing?

I'm asking because I was playing with my son last week and we called solo players through on two occasions, both of whom seemed genuinely grateful, and almost a bit surprised, that we had done so.

Albo

Visit site
I don’t know what it is but I just feel uncomfortable asking lol I always feel as if the person in front if slower should offer.
They should!
However, often times they dont.
If they dont offer and you dont ask 100% you're behind them.
If they dont offer and you do ask, they can say yes or no, but at worst you're no worse off that not asking and at best you're ahead of them

PhilTheFragger

Visit site
Is it still the case that solo players don't have the right to expect to be called through?

I'm not sure where I've got this from, but I have a vague memory of some kind of hierarchy here i.e. a 4 ball should call a 3 ball through if they are holding them up, a 3 ball should call a 2 ball through, but a solo player has no 'rights'? Is that a thing?

I'm asking because I was playing with my son last week and we called solo players through on two occasions, both of whom seemed genuinely grateful, and almost a bit surprised, that we had done so.

single person having no standing on the course went out years ago.

However some think it is still the case, even now

Albo

Visit site

I think it used to be a thing but no longer is.
They were prob so greatful because letting people through is sadly a rareity, at least in my experience

RichA

Visit site
I often do it if I pop over after work.
Our 9th is at the far end of the course, so a 9-hole round comprises 1-4 and 16-18 with a couple of additional short par 4 holes that aren't part of the main course and which I don't like.
I often play 1-6 then cut across to 14 and end up playing an 11 hole loop.
I only cut across when I'm not going to delay anyone on 13. If there's somebody playing 14, I hang around discreetly until they're off the green so they don't feel rushed.
I think that if other people are playing a full 18 and I'm making up my own rules then they have more right of way over the course than me.

Last edited:

sweaty sock

Hacker
Visit site
Yeah, single players had no priority on the course up to about 2015 at my place.

Normal, decent people knew you were faster, and if there was space on the course let you through.

'Others' have a very selective memory and still think they can bully single players.

Im not a letter writer, but id be sending this situation to the committee ...

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
We have a number of points where you can cut across. It's mostly done in the evenings and most people are smart enough to know if there is space in front to get off ahead of the group finishing the hole you want to get in front off. People can start on the 10th but they aren't allowed to tee off if you have already come around the corner from the 9th and so if they were on the tee and waiting, the group playing the full round have priority

Albo

Visit site
Yeah, single players had no priority on the course up to about 2015 at my place.

Normal, decent people knew you were faster, and if there was space on the course let you through.

'Others' have a very selective memory and still think they can bully single players.

Im not a letter writer, but id be sending this situation to the committee ...
That is a good point, I often play as a single, and while I expect to be let through, only if the group in front is falling behind. If they are up with the pace of play then being let through is nice but id not object I'd they didn't. Sounds like the OP had a 3ball in front with nobody ahead

PhilTheFragger

Visit site
Need to remember its course specific. So at some courses it is absolutely still a thing

Wouldn’t it be good if every course played to the same set of regs

Make life a bit easier wouldn’t it, but oh no, this is golf, it’s meant to be confusing, contradictory, controversial and sometimes stupid?

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Wouldn’t it be good if every course played to the same set of regs

Make life a bit easier wouldn’t it, but oh no, this is golf, it’s meant to be confusing, contradictory, controversial and sometimes stupid?

You mean like; every course should have the same dress code :unsure:

Not sure I'd want to attend that committee meeting :ROFLMAO:

G1z1

Visit site
So you didn’t not get let through, you decided that they wouldn’t let you through and walked off? Not sure what you have got to moan about really- unless I am missing something
I’m moaning about how I had the first tee time, I wouldn’t of went out this morning if I didn’t have the first tee time and then a 3 ball magically appears on the 10th in front of me.