Cutting across the ball at impact

2004Champ

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Went for a fitting session at Mizuno and the one thing that was clear was that I was cutting across the ball at impact no matter what shaft or club I had in my hands.It was costing me yards.Obviously this is down to technique so just wondering if anyone has any tips/drills I could practice.

Ended up getting fitted for MP53 with Dynamic Gold S300 SL shafts.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Champ, this is a very common fault so you're in good company.
I'm guessing this is your impact position

cure12.jpg

The clubface may also be open to prevent the ball from going straight left.

So, to cure this you need to improve the direction of your swing and the clubface position at impact.

There's no point in fixing only one.

You could read books which will tell you where all parts of your body should be throughout the swing,
Or...
You can learn by feel.

As I said...this is a very common issue with lots of golfers.
This is a method I have used many times to help golfers change their swing path to a more neutral swing.

Think of the direction the club is swinging into the ball.
It's coming from what we call out to in.
Now, if you place something like a sponge or 2 headcovers on the ground/mat where the swing normally goes and try and hit the ball without hitting the sponge/h/cover, your swing path will improve

sponge2.jpg

If the ball then starts towards the target and then slips to the right, you may need to check the grip to help square the clubface up at impact.
Hope this helps.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KsrovFJ3o9I

Scouser

Tour Winner
Visit site
This drill works....bob suggested it to me and I was reluctant at first thinking I would hit the head cover but didn't.....

Thanks to bob I now have what looks like a consistant ish fade rather that a massive slice :D

lee_leggett

Head Pro
Visit site
2004Champ, I dont believe you should have got those MP 53 irons....

In your position I would have had a few more lessons and tried to get your swing on plane. Once your hitting the ball better and happy with your swing then have a fitting as this spec club and shaft may not suit your new swing.