Custom fitting

skiffer

Hacker
Visit site
As mentioned in another post I am in the market for my first set of NEW irons.
Being 6'3" tall I have decided to get custom fitted.
Should I travel 15m to American Golf or 50m to the Mizuno National Centre in Glasgow?
What would I get from Mizuno that I wouldn't get from US golf?
Thanks again

Bigfoot

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Mizuno will only sell Mizuno but they will not compromise but will ensure you have the best for you. American Golf can offer a range of makes but in my experience they have some that they will push over others. Go to Mizuno, they make excellent clubs.

theeaglehunter

Tour Winner
Visit site
I would second the view of going to Mizuno. Apart from being one of the leading iron manufacturers, they will offer a far greater and more accurate custom fit experience than AG.

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
What would I get from Mizuno that I wouldn't get from US golf?
Thanks again

I don't know the full answer, but AG do it "virtually" in a net area. I'm pretty sure Mizuno will take you out on a range, even if not for the launch monitor bit.

Better to see the clubs in action for real....i.m.o.

skiffer

Hacker
Visit site
Thanks for the help.
I am going to visit AG today to check-out their facilities.
Decided to compare Mizunos with TM Burner+, Nike VR full cavity and Cobra SZ.
If I favour Mizuno then will definitely visit centre in Glasgow to fit and purchase.
Will attempt to control my credit card for now (fat chance ;)).
Have updated my profile with handicap, club and gear.
Cheers.

slugger

Tour Rookie
Visit site
i think if you are buying mizuno, what happens is, you go to a pro who sells mizuno and they arrange a fitting day for you at cumbernauld, you go along and get fitted then your clubs get sent out to the pro at whatever club/shop you went to. could be wrong though.

If you're in the edinburgh area, Kurt at Lothianburn has a very good reputation for club fitting and will no doubt do his best to match prices with AG.

http://www.customfittinggolf.co.uk/about.htm

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
i think if you are buying mizuno, what happens is, you go to a pro who sells mizuno and they arrange a fitting day for you at cumbernauld, you go along and get fitted then your clubs get sent out to the pro at whatever club/shop you went to. could be wrong though.

I booked up my fitting session direct with Mizuno in New Malden myself. Once I had agreed with the findings, I was given a spec sheet of exactly what was recommended to me.
I was then able to go to any Mizuno dealer I selected to actually order the clubs to my exact specifications.
Mine had upgraded shafts and grips (at no additional charge) and took about 7 days to arrive.
Got the whole lot (4-PW) plus matching 50 and 55 degree wedges for £449.00. I didn't think that was too bad to be honest. I was expecting nearer £600.00 with the "better" shafts and handles.

chippie

Visit site
Thats a good price smiffy,may I ask where you got them from. My local club sent me to New Malden and I have the same spec as yourself, for the same clubs and they quoted me £575

skiffer

Hacker
Visit site
Well I visited AG this afternoon and was shocked...
The club fitter saw me there and then without appointment. He let me try a few clubs including a 1.5" longer Mizuno iron.
He then offered to extend my own TM RAC set, adjust the lie and check the lofts for £50.
Rather than relieving me of £400+ quid he thought I should get used to the spec, have a couple of lessons and then consider an upgrade in 12 months or so.
I call that great service.

PS He said they could extend and re-use the same grips (which were newish). How do they do that?

Handycap

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Well I visited AG this afternoon and was shocked...
The club fitter saw me there and then without appointment. He let me try a few clubs including a 1.5" longer Mizuno iron.
He then offered to extend my own TM RAC set, adjust the lie and check the lofts for £50.
Rather than relieving me of £400+ quid he thought I should get used to the spec, have a couple of lessons and then consider an upgrade in 12 months or so.
I call that great service.

PS He said they could extend and re-use the same grips (which were newish). How do they do that?

Skiffer,

It isn't often a high street retailer will offer such good unbiased advice. American Golf don't have the best reputation for custom fitting: it's not so much a lack of facilities or testing equipment (although hitting balls on a range is preferable) but the lack of competent staff who know how to use and interpret the results from the testing equipment.

I love Mizuno clubs, but I am bias. I'm sure other brands can offer similar clubs to what Mizuno clubs do for me. I went to a Mizuno national fitting centre last year and found the service was first rate. I'm sure other manufacturers fitting centres are just as good. Club shafts are just as important as the club head, so you need to make sure your shafts have the correct level of stiffness and kick point that suit your swing speed, and length that suit your height.

You should obviously have a set of clubs that suit your ability. But of great importance to me, confidence on the course is helped by the aesthetics of the club you hold in your hand; if you love the look of them then it's a better club for you. To that end, what manufacturer's clubs suits me isn't necessarily going to be the best for you. The range of clubs offered from the bigger manufacturers mean that nearly all of them would have something that would suit most people.

If you chose your original clubs because you liked the look of them and they are designed and suited to your level of play, go with the good advice the American Golf guy gave.

Perhaps because you live in gods own golfing country you get a better class of American Golf employee!
Hope this helps in your decision.

skiffer

Hacker
Visit site
Finally had a custom fitting yesterday at Aberdour GC in Fife (on a friend's recommendation).
Pro spent over an hour trying various clubs and combinations. No high tech gadgetry but a useful experience.
When I hit the TM Burner+ it went way past the rest.
Impressed by the TM fitting centre which allowed me to try various shafts and lies.
Final decision was TM Burner+ (1" long, 2 deg upright and midsize grips with extra tape) to match my 6'3" frame.
Was a fan of TM anyway so pleased and can't wait to take delivery.
Thanks for all your input