Driver fitting

BigTuna

Visit site
Hi. I have been playing for about a year and have a 2nd hand set of Srixon irons and a driver, is it worth getting a custom fitting if I want to get new of both, or just for irons and a driver off the shelf is ok? Thanks

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Depends on your level of golf.
Handicap.?
If you have a repeatable swing then yes.
But if you don’t then wait a while to get your ball striking to a good level.
If you are to inconsistent it’s hard for a fitter to fit anything to your swing.

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
Hi. I have been playing for about a year and have a 2nd hand set of Srixon irons and a driver, is it worth getting a custom fitting if I want to get new of both, or just for irons and a driver off the shelf is ok? Thanks

If you are going to buy new clubs then why not get fit? You don’t have to take their advice.

The issue with waiting until you have a consistent swing, is you’ll never have a consistent swing.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Very much depends on what irons you have e.g if you have been given a set of blade irons you would find cavity back a lot easier however stick with teh baldes and become very consistent and it will probaly make you a better player.

Srixon make some truly great irons so might well have a very good set already.

Worth saying what they are, including make and flex of the shafts.

BigTuna

Visit site
Very much depends on what irons you have e.g if you have been given a set of blade irons you would find cavity back a lot easier however stick with teh baldes and become very consistent and it will probaly make you a better player.

Srixon make some truly great irons so might well have a very good set already.

Worth saying what they are, including make and flex of the shafts.
Irons are Srixon i403 irons with just regular flex shafts

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Irons are Srixon i403 irons with just regular flex shafts

Nothing really wrong with those irons. The reasons I could see that you might want to change them is condition,if a change to the type of shaft may better suit you (assuming they are TT Dynalite gold ( a good shaft )) and if you have specific height requirements I.e you are taller or shorter than around 5'8" to 6 ft.

BigTuna

Visit site
Nothing really wrong with those irons. The reasons I could see that you might want to change them is condition,if a change to the type of shaft may better suit you (assuming they are TT Dynalite gold ( a good shaft )) and if you have specific height requirements I.e you are taller or shorter than around 5'8" to 6 ft.
The shafts are SV-3000. And yes, these clubs are 1" longer shafts as I am 6'4"

Ian_George

Visit site
Driver is a Cobra 440SZ 10.5 degree loft.
Quite old then! I remember it well! So worth considering an 'upgrade', mainly for the forgiveness factor of recent offerings. Very latest models (or even ones between yours and now) haven't, imo, made much progress on distance, but huge advances on forgivability and adjustability (particularly)!
Depending on how committed you are to improving, there are various levels of 'fitting' that you might consider - or reject. At the basic level, just measuring your swing speed would get you into the right range of shaft; if you want to delve further, the cost increases considerably and additional benefit tends to decrease! If you can find a Golf shop that has a range of trade-ins, testing those for one that feels right could well be a relatively inexpensive way to 'upgrade' while keeping the fitting cost to a minimum.

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I think you should be fine with what you have, and wouldnt see a fitting adding anything. Give yourself a goal, getting to single figures maybe, and then think about changing.
If they are scruffy, and you would like something shinier, just buy off the shelf, with a few basic guidelines on length, lie, and flex, like Ping have.

BigTuna

Visit site
Thanks for the advice. Yeah I thought the driver was quite old and could probably get away with the irons for another 12/18 months till my game improves - I just didn't know if it was worth investing in a newer (not a brand new model though) driver and if it would give me another 10-15 yards of distance and be that bit more forgiving that a new golfer would need/want.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Driver is a Cobra 440SZ 10.5 degree loft.

I would put the money in to a different driver. Modern drivers with adjustable heads as a preference but does not need to be new.

As an aside there is a possibility that the one you have does not conform to the rules of golf equipment

The versions that conform can be found here
https://www.randa.org/search/equipm...word=Cobra+440SZ+&category=Conforming+Drivers

If it does not match exactly one those it should not be used in any sort of competition

Skytot

Visit site
I’m having a fitting next week . I use a 12 year old Taylormade R11 so think a more up to date driver is justified. I’m after more consistency, so been watching lots videos and Ping G425 & Mizuno St-Z 220 are really taking my attention.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I’m having a fitting next week . I use a 12 year old Taylormade R11 so think a more up to date driver is justified. I’m after more consistency, so been watching lots videos and Ping G425 & Mizuno St-Z 220 are really taking my attention.
There is a new ping G430 driver coming out soon .
So don’t pay top price for a G425.
Great driver I have one..

Skytot

Visit site
There is a new ping G430 driver coming out soon .
So don’t pay top price for a G425.
Great driver I have one..
I’ve seen that , I already have a Ping G425 5 wood and love it . I’m either going to go 2nd hand or make sure I get a great deal with a Ping or Mizuno. Mizuno also have new woods coming out in 2023

Pin-seeker

Visit site
A new set of irons from the likes of Ping,TM,Titleist…. Cost a small fortune.
If you’ve only been playing for one year a custom fit is a waste of money imo.
Your swing will probably change a lot.
If your current irons aren’t suitable to your level I’d replace them irons that are.
But I’d go 2nd hand off ebay or golf bidder.