Custom Fit verification

ScoopUK

Medal Winner
Visit site
I'll have a think one day. I'm 6'2" but with longer arms than my height so my reach kind of normalises itself.

I'm still very much a beginner so it might be something I consider if/when I upgrade. First I'm just going to go out and play.

sawtooth

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'm 6ft and have mine 4 degrees up, it is pretty much the MOST important thing to get right. If I didn't have mine set correctly I'd be hitting the toe of the club into the ground first and probably pushing the ball as a result.

With me my irons always sit with the toe in the air, I guess I need to go the other way - flat. I wont mention anything though see if they do.

User 105

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I've always been a bit sceptical about custom fitting for most amateurs as our swings can differ so much from day to day. Swing to swing if it's me :confused:

I do get custom fit as it tends to be free, so why not, but have walked away from a few custom fit sessions when I know I'm not swinging it how I normally do. I'll usually hit my own clubs for a while warming up to make sure at least I'm hitting my normal shape before I even try and get fit for something else.

My first fitting for my M1 I was hitting my own driver so far right it wasn't even worth trying to get fitted. Explained it to the fitter and he was fine with it and re-booked for the following week when my normal swing had returned (as if by magic).

I have been fitted by my local AG a few times and always had a great service. Also use their tour truck if it's due as that guy fits clubs all day every day.

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site
AG is always hit and miss. I have had some good experiences and some bad ones. From what I can make out you get kids in there who have done a 2 day course on how to fit clubs and then let free on the public. I have seen this at my local Golf Galaxy.

I was in there once and the old boy who took me into the fitting bays had retired a year earlier and decided that he fancied a part time job in a golf shop. Chatting with him it was clear he had no idea what he was talking about, understood absolutely cock all about the effect of different weight of shafts and kick points in a driver. He even told me how he was looking forward to playing more golf now in the hope that he could start breaking 90 on a regular basis.

What you need to do is find a real fitting center IMO. I got my irons from a local shopping mall golf shop. We played about in the net and got a rough fitting on the clubs, 1.5" long and 2* upright, he even got them sent without the grips fitted. When they arrived he put an old grip on so I could swing them at the longer length, decided to knock 1/2" from them all and he then fitted the grips. I then came back the following day and we started looking at the lie angle and loft on every club. He then altered every individual club to my swing, he left the long irons 2* upright but put the short irons 3* upright. Did all this free of charge and I can safely say I have never hit irons as well as I hit these. Some might think this is over the top, but it did the trick.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I've always been a bit sceptical about custom fitting for most amateurs as our swings can differ so much from day to day. Swing to swing if it's me :confused:

I do get custom fit as it tends to be free, so why not, but have walked away from a few custom fit sessions when I know I'm not swinging it how I normally do. I'll usually hit my own clubs for a while warming up to make sure at least I'm hitting my normal shape before I even try and get fit for something else.

My first fitting for my M1 I was hitting my own driver so far right it wasn't even worth trying to get fitted. Explained it to the fitter and he was fine with it and re-booked for the following week when my normal swing had returned (as if by magic).

I have been fitted by my local AG a few times and always had a great service. Also use their tour truck if it's due as that guy fits clubs all day every day.

I agree that a fitter can only recommend on the swing you present on the day. I wouldn't use AG for a fitting but would definitely recommend Silvermere to the OP. Whether AG would then be able to provide the shaft recommended at the fitting would be my next question although I can see how £250 off the cost makes it a great price for the new irons