Custom Fit verification

sawtooth

Tour Winner
Visit site
Has anybody gone to two different places to verify custom fit information? What did you find?

I have £250 AG vouchers that I plan to put towards a brand new set of AP2 2018 irons next year. I may go to Silvermere or another place to get fitted then get fitted again at AG before I buy the irons.

I hope/expect the result to be the same, God knows what I will do if they are wildly different.

the_coach

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
don't forget you have to factor in how you may be swinging & striking the ball on any/all different occasions - strike will/can alter #'s way more than anything else

plus it's important to take your stock swing - the way you swing most often out in play - & not be searching for a max'd out swing with max'd out results during any fitting

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Ok, had a Titleist fitting for AP1's by my own club fitter recently. He tried enough shafts to convince me that the stock one was best for me. I came out on the lie test needing a rather surprising 4 degrees up.

Clubs were ordered and feel great, I agreed a gapping session as part of the deal and a retest on the lie angle, and an agreement if they ever need bending he would do it free of charge so I figure seeing, in my case, my own pro was the best move and a purchase discount and no fitting fee. What's not to like?

User101

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
I've been to two, one with AG and one with Callaway. I left the AG not convinced at all, they said I required 2 degrees upright...I played PIngs for years with 1 degree flat and always felt I needed flat on a custom fit, so I wasn't convinced at all. Went to a Callaway fitting and the guy instantly put a 2 degree flat head on, got my clubs yesterday from the fit, 2 degrees flat.

sawtooth

Tour Winner
Visit site
I've been to two, one with AG and one with Callaway. I left the AG not convinced at all, they said I required 2 degrees upright...I played PIngs for years with 1 degree flat and always felt I needed flat on a custom fit, so I wasn't convinced at all. Went to a Callaway fitting and the guy instantly put a 2 degree flat head on, got my clubs yesterday from the fit, 2 degrees flat.

That’s scary!!!

Not being funny but wouldn’t you need a 3rd opinion to be sure?

inc0gnito

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Can’t say I’ve heard of anyone being overly convinced by fittings at AG since I took up golf earlier this year.

NorfolkShaun

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I'd say it would depend on the fitter.

Totally agree Bob.

A gent I know got fitted at american golf and the lad fitting him was out of his society.

Maybe i'm a snob but it did make we wonder what american golf look for in a club fitter. To me I want to be fitted by a well trained competent professional.

DCB

Visit site
I've always done a bit of homework before I have has a fitting. I had a reasonable idea of what i was looking for in a shaft and an idea as to what the lie angle would be. Only time I was given something to think about was when I was offered a lighter weight Nippon shaft than I was used to. It turned out to be the one for me though.

I've never had a AG fitting, but did use another store in Edinburgh who did have good PGA Pros on the sales floor. My own club Pro fitted me for a set many years ago and did a great job.

A lot of the fitting is down to good communication, on both sides, and listening to the answers/solutions. If in doubt, have a think about it, don't hand over the hard earned £££ straight away, think it over.

ScoopUK

Medal Winner
Visit site
Genuine question based on my own observations. I hear people going on about fittings due to lie of the club etc then I see people teeing up with a driver and the club head sitting at 30-45 degrees! Are they just full of (it) or is there something different about drivers?

User101

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Genuine question based on my own observations. I hear people going on about fittings due to lie of the club etc then I see people teeing up with a driver and the club head sitting at 30-45 degrees! Are they just full of (it) or is there something different about drivers?

Club head sitting at 30/40 degrees ?? Can you explain tht further, can't picture what you mean.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site

The lie angle is more important if you are taking divots so not really relevant with the driver and the shaft bends downwards through impact so reducing the lie angle

ScoopUK

Medal Winner
Visit site
The lie angle is more important if you are taking divots so not really relevant with the driver and the shaft bends downwards through impact so reducing the lie angle

I suppose that makes sense. Thanks.

I'm a tad dubious of this sort of stuff as I've seen the same witchcraft in cycling with regards to bike fit and positioning. Of course it makes the 'specially trained' fitters and companies that franchise their fitting systems lots of money. Didn't always result in increased performance though.

sawtooth

Tour Winner
Visit site
I’ve always been a bit skeptical about custom fit but it does stand to reason that we are all built differently so how can stock irons be ideally suited for everyone?

I’m average height and build so I guess I’m roughly what the manufacturer was designing the clubs for, the average joe in the street. Therefore I’m probably not going to deviate that much from stock equipment.

However if you are 5ft 6 or 6ft 6 you are bound to need adjustments to shaft length and/or lie angle as a minimum I would think?!

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
I’ve always been a bit skeptical about custom fit but it does stand to reason that we are all built differently so how can stock irons be ideally suited for everyone?

I’m average height and build so I guess I’m roughly what the manufacturer was designing the clubs for, the average joe in the street. Therefore I’m probably not going to deviate that much from stock equipment.

However if you are 5ft 6 or 6ft 6 you are bound to need adjustments to shaft length and/or lie angle as a minimum I would think?!

I'm 6ft and have mine 4 degrees up, it is pretty much the MOST important thing to get right. If I didn't have mine set correctly I'd be hitting the toe of the club into the ground first and probably pushing the ball as a result.