Custom clubs

backspin

Hacker
Visit site
How many of you have custom clubs ?
I have a set of off the shelf clubs completely standard.They are forged players clubs though.I have thought about a custom fit but i am not sure if its worth the money for the small gain i would recieve.

B

birdieman

Not me. I went to the Png website and took the 3 measurements needed - length of middle finger, length of hand and wrist to floor and put them into their online fitting calculator. I came out black dot and white grip which is standard for length lie and grip thickness. I was quite pleased really, means I can buy clubs as standard. I play stiff shafts for better control and reckon as I'm driving about 270-280 that's about right. Currently hitting Callaway x-tours which I love, best clubs I've hit and I've hit a few!

Junior

Tour Winner
Visit site
Hi backspin,
I'm 6ft 5 and need all my clubs custom fit, otherwise my backs in bits by the 12th hole ! Take my advice , make sure you go to a proper fitting centre and not a high street golf retailer. A fitting centre has all the flight scopes, launch monitors etc plus its a great day out (i went to the one at the Belfry) and its well worth the cash.

Trueblue

Head Pro
Visit site
I'm with junior. I had played with the same set of clubs for about 8 years and got down to single figures when i went to Titleist custom-fit centre and they told me i needed an extra inch on all my clubs! Took a while to get used to but definitely worth it, feels so much more comfortable and natural when you have the right fit etc

PaulOHagan

GM Staff
Visit site
If your going to spend so much money on a new set of irons it makes so much sense to get custom fitted! I had an extra inch on my clubs as well it made a huge difference to my ball striking-would suggest custom fitting to golfers of any standard.

Junior

Tour Winner
Visit site
Hi Furyn or unique, (great name by the way)...my dad is 6ft, not sure how tall the milkman was though ;o)

I got custom fitted at a high street store for a set of irons and it was a young spotty kidd who took a few measurements and saw me hit balls for 20 mins with tape on the sole of the clubs. He then concluded that I needed 2 degree upright lie and an inch on the shaft. Thats not to say high street stores can't custom fit, just make sure that if they do, that its a PGA pro who is doing it for you.

When I was custom fit at the Belfry, a year or so ago they asked me to try numerous types of irons, putters and woods with all different kinds of shafts. I can honestly say it made my game so much better and more consistent.

backspin

Hacker
Visit site
I have been measured at three different places and all of them said i am completely standard.No lie or shaft lenth changes needed.Grip size is correct and i play with full cord grips so it all seems fine.Two of the places were club makers and they have done work for me before so i trust their judgement.I play off 4 so i am a pretty consistent ball striker and am only 5,11.