Critique this swing please

stevelev

Journeyman Pro
www.ecclestonparkgolf.co.uk
:thup:Hi,

Went to the range last night, I'm trying to work on getting forward at start of downswing to help get inside the ball, any pointers

[video=youtube_share;PVeJsSN17A0]http://youtu.be/PVeJsSN17A0[/video]

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Hi Steve,

Have you noticed how your front foot twists open through impact, it's a sign that your weight is not transfering properly to your front leg, you also look like you are hanging back on the shot.

You need to start your downswing with more of a prominent weight shift over to the front foot, exegerate it a bit and feel as if you are pushing right over onto the outside edge of your left foot, this should also stop the rotation of the foot. As you push your weight over start turning your left hip back behind you, currently you are almost the same at impact as you were at address. I think you will then get more power into the ball.

You also seem to be casting the club down from the top which is another power leak. As you shift forward in the downswing try and get your right elbow to drop down towards the front of your right hip while maintaining the wrist cock.

I hope this helps you.

Last edited:

stevelev

Journeyman Pro
Cheers Brian, with my foot twisting it didnt help that I was in trainers and the mats were pretty damp. I think I may be trying to speed my hips up a little too much, and as you say I need to get my elbow down to slot inside easier.

Do you have any drill for getting the elbow in? Would practising in slow motion repeatedly be of any benefit?

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
If you're working on your swing path, it would help if you could get a view of your swing from behind the ball, down the line.
From that angle it looks pretty good, apart from the left foot, which does suggest to me the club swinging well inside on the followthrough.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Could just be the shadows and I can't get the vid to stop precisely enough to check, but it looks like you a rolling your right foot onto its right edge? If that's the case, then you won't get much zip at the start of the downswing until that gets back 'flat'.

CrapHacker

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Cheers, any more input from other forum goers

1) The pump drill is very good, use it myself to reasonable success.

2) If you're working on weight shift, the ball under the outside of the right foot is pretty good too.

BUT .....

more importantly......

That swing you've got is more than good enough to get you down to your target handicap.

Work on your short game at least 50% of your practice time and you'll get there no probs.

And as far as the full swing is concerned, remember 'evolution' not 'revolution'.

stevelev

Journeyman Pro
Thanks for feedback so far.

I'll go the range again and get a vid 'Down the line', went today, felt better dropping my elbow in, a bit erratic with direction, but I suppose that is just as I get used to dropping my elbow down and re-syncing my other parts to fit this???

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
Your left foot is at right angles at the set up, which will make it more difficult to turn through, try having it turned out a bit, this should make the body turn easier and may stop your foot twisting.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
im in no position to give anyone advice about their swing. that looks pretty good to me. as someone else said, get the short game nailed and you will drop handicap like a stone.